Jethro Tull "Teacher" UK Mix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yeah...I got that somewhere. Now if I can just remember where. HAHA. Some box set I think.

3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Wow. I remember that kind of music. What did they call it? Oh yeah.

Rock'n'roll!!!

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

sounds like a work-in-progress version

5. I call this one the fluteless version. There is like a whole gap in the middle where the exciting Leslied flute of the US version is lacking completely and you don't get the organ solo very loud anyway! I never understood the presence of this version in the catalogue... On camera, besides singing, Ian seems to have nothing much to do but clap his hands in a weird fashion...

6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

He briefly plays air flute!

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

That's been sped up, the original UK single was slower.

8. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Was this version ever released on vinyl or CD anywhere? Where was it available? Was it available?

Dale

9. From the top of my head, on the remastered Benefit CD (= the "regular" version)... on the 20 Years of Jethro Tull CD or LP or cassette (!) box set (now OOP, but relatively easy to find used... Probably elsewhere too?

10. MUSIC

MUSIC Member

Released as a b-side on a 45:

[​IMG]

11. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

It's not on the regular version of Benefit(Chrysalis CD 21043) and it's not the bonus track listed as "Original UK mix" on the new remaster of Benefit(Capitol/Chrysalis). It sounds like a stripped down mix...before the flute and a second guitar.
    If this is on CD I'd like to know where it is!

JF

12. jon9091

It's on the 20 Years of Jethro Tull box set. Disc 3, track 16 to be exact.

13. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

This version in the video is the original UK single version (B-side of "Witch's Promise"), and has only appeared on one CD, in the "20 Years Of Jethro Tull" box set (also released on vinyl and cassette). It's supposed to be on the recent remaster of "Benefit", but that disc contains the US LP version.
    Hopefully, the 40th anniversary edition of "Benefit" will include both versions, but it has not even been announced for release this year.

14. I could have sworn it was the bonus track listed as "Original UK mix" on the remastered Benefit! Just what is this bonus track really, then? I obviously need to play that one again: but no time now...

Sorry to the OP for any confusion!

15. jon9091

It's erroneously listed that way. But it's the US version.

16. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

OK,So that clears up the mistake on the new remaster. Thanks for the help.
    So right now it's only on the "20 Years" box set. I have the single disc version of that,but it's not included. Guess I'll wait and see if they include it on the 40th anniv. issue.
    Thanks again.

JF

17. And right you were! Upon this release I must have questionned my sanity and just never thought about it anymore...

My CD is a UK one. Does the US version has that same mess on it? Misrepresentation: the fandom should have complained to EMI!

18. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

This is also on the 25th Anniversary VHS.

19. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

No. You have to hunt down the box set. Essential for Tull fans. One of the rare occasions where a box set was really done right. Too much great music not to own.

20. jon9091

It's the same thing on the US version.

21. I absolutely agree!

BTW, I have the CD and cassette versions. Does the vinyl version of the box has any edge over the CD one, sonically? (I have an entry level Thorens TT.)

22. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I can't comment on the sonics, since I only own the LP set, but I do know that there is one track ("Blues Jam" or something like that) that is NOT on the CD set. It's possible that it's on the cassette version, that I am not sure about.

23. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I have both the LP and cd versions. I haven't compared them at all though. I know I had the cd version first and did most of my listening with that.

24. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

No..."Blues Instrumental" is on both the cd and the lp sets.

I finally picked up the vinyl a couple years ago after having the cd set since it was released.

IMO, they sound exactly the same...(thin)

Quiet vinyl though...

25. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Quiet yes...bright bright bright (and thin). Need some needledropping EQ without a doubt. A must, though much of it is turning up through the varied remasters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.