The story of Brian Wilson + Carnie & Wendy Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

For the last week or so, I have a CD-R of Wilson Phillips' 2000 "Greatest Hits" album in the car CD player. For me at least, I've always enjoyed Wilson Phillips' music, which always reminded me of the Beach Boys (naturally). One stand out track from the "Greatest Hits" album was "Flesh and Blood", a track to reach out to Brian Wilson that featured lead vocals by Carnie and Wendy Wilson. It's a very haunting track to their then-estranged father, which led me to wonder what eventually became an reunion (see my current avatar <<< ). There was no mention of this reunion in wikipedia entries for Brian Wilson nor Wilson Phillips, so I dig a little deeper and came up with the below 1994 article from People magazine....

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

3. "Fantasy Is Reality/Bells of Madness" is one of the most touching songs I've ever heard.

The Wilsons album with Wendy, Carnie and Brian is also chock full of beautiful music.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. soundboy

I missed that completely :confused:

Need to get that Trios album.

Regarding "The Wilsons" album, it's somewhat surprising that the 2 tracks from the album, "Miracle" and "Everything I Need", that appeared on the "Greatest Hits" CD of Wilson Phillips weren't the singles released. IMO, "The Wilsons" album is a seriously overlooked gem. Here's an enlargement to my avatar....

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

After recording The Wilsons, Brian refused to go on the promo/publicity tour Mercury had arranged. As a result, Mercury never put much of a push behind the album.

6. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Is "Everything I Need" the same song that Jeffrey Foskett recorded on his "Stars & Sand" album with Brian?

7. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

Yes it is the same song!

8. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Wow, I love that song. I'm surprised I haven't picked this one up yet.

Just scored a copy on ebay.

9. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I've loved the Beach Boys and Brian's genius since I was a little boy. As I grew older I realized how messed up he was and felt bad for his daughters. I still feel bad for them. Brian is a shell of his former self. I really like the music by his daughters. I played Hey Santa quite a bit this Christmas. I hope they can all be happy with their lives now.

10. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

Yeah, it is a beautiful song! That album is really good! I love the song Mondays without you

11. Cambot

Cambot Forum Resident

A wooden phonebooth?

12. soundboy

I think you will like the version by The Wilsons very much. I love it.

Despite the recent news of Chynna Phillips in the headlines, Carnie Wilson has said that there will be a Wilson Phillips reunion. In fact, a new album is being planned to celebrate the group's 20th anniversary this year.

13. There's an unreleased demo of "Everything I Need" with Brian trading lead vocals with Carnie and/or Wendy? that's even more lovely than the version on The Wilsons. It's incomplete though.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Surprised! Me too. I thought that "BMG Direct" cover looked familiar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.