New Grateful Dead Vault Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by full moon, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. full moon

full moon Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Grateful Dead Productions will release a 3CD/1DVD Grateful Dead set called Crimson, White & Indigo: July 7, 1989 - JFK Stadium, Philadelphia, planning its release for March 30." This was taken from The Musictap website...

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Track listing please...................

3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Here we go again ... It *has* been a couple of months since the last release, after all.

I still must have this ...

I wonder if this'll be a Web-only or a Rhino retail release. Guaranteed it'll come in a flimsy multi-fold-out digipak.

4. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Excellent...the summers of '89 and '90 provide us with some really nice sounding shows, where Brent was really showing his chops on keyboards. The band could get in a groove during the opening song and sustain it for the whole show....I'm psyched to hear about this!

5. musicalbeds

Hell In A Bucket, Iko Iko, Little Red Rooster, Ramble On Rose, Memphis Blues, Loser, Let It Grow-> Blow Away Box Of Rain, Scarlet Begonias-> Fire On The Mountain-> Scarlet Begonias, Estimated Prophet-> Standing On the Moon, Drums-> Jam-> The Other One-> Wharf Rat-> Turn On Your Love Light, E: Knockin' On Heaven's Door

6. full moon

Venue JFK Stadium
    Location Philadelphia, PA
    Date 7/7/89 - Friday
    One Hell In A Bucket [6:34] ; Iko Iko [7:13] ; Little Red Rooster [9:03] ; Ramble On Rose [7:11] ; Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again [8:51] ; Loser [7:14] ; Let It Grow [12:36] > Blow Away [12:29]
    Two Box Of Rain [4:37] > Scarlet Begonias [10:26] > Fire On The Mountain [13:23] ; Estimated Prophet [9:18] > Standing On The Moon [8:12] ; Drums [9:30] > Space [6:53] > The Other One [10:34] (1) > Wharf Rat [10:27] > Turn On Your Lovelight [6:47]
    Encore Knockin' On Heaven's Door [8:33]

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

excellent

8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Being a vault release, I'm assuming its a multi-track. Anybody know for sure? And how good is this show? I assume the DVD is the whole show, but with monitor video mixed in like other View From The Vault DDVs.

I'm not crazy about this era, but the boys could surprise you now and again.

9. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Can't get excited about this one. That's OK, I've sent enough $$$ to GDP over the last couple of years...

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

1989 was a good year

11. full moon

1989 is enjoyable..I love Brent...

driverdrummer likes this.
  12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

1989 could be fantastic (think October), very good (think Shoreline, Alpine Valley, or Truckin' Up to Buffalo) or so-so (I'm thinking of the Download Series releases from Pittsburgh 4/2-4/3).

I'll settle for very good.

I'm glad to see it's a show I haven't heard before.

13. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Love the title! SOTM is a favorite.

14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

1989 is a good year:

15. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

16. musicalbeds

I don't have access to any of the spring '89 shows, but once summer tour started up, they started firing on all cylinders. Brent was soloing with Jerry, the band sometimes played all the songs at a "fast" pace, really grooving and tight. The 1990 shows continued that "polished" pace...the Knickerbocker show, particularly the first night, Saturday, prove that...and they hit summer tour full speed ahead, and it lasted up until the Tinley Park shows, imo. I only have one of the last three nights, but it's a great show, average for the Summer run but in comparison to what came later, and what had been for much of the 80's ....highly recommended.

The separation they were getting was great, imo...you could really hear Bob apart from Jerry, the rest of the band could be isolated easily enough if you listened closely...the mix was incredible on many nights.

I love the 89/90 late Brent era. I consider it a time where the average show was very good, much higher than the average show of most years. Now this might be interpreted as them not "reaching", but I don't hear, or see it that way.

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'll skip this one. I'm really not a fan of the Dead after the Godchauxs left. So I'll save some dollars (I have every official release through 1978, all the studio albums, all the Dick's Picks, etc.)

18. honkymagic

honkymagic Forum Resident

It's a great show -- one of the best of 1989 before the fall tour, when the band took it up another notch. High energy "Bucket," a twisting "Let it Grow," a Brent-madness "Blow Away," and a second-to-3/24/90 "Loser" anchor the first set. Second set features a wonderful "Scarlet - Fire," complete with a little Jerry triplet riff during the between-song jam that I haven't heard anywhere else, and a really good "Standing."

Now, any modern version of "Box of Rain" is a purely-you-had-to-be-there moment, and "Lovelight" can't sustain the Weir-cheese, but "Wharf Rat" also has a great closing jam.

It might not be as good as "Nightfall of Diamonds" (10/16/89, right?), or as historic as 10/9/89 (return of "Dark Star), but it's better than the 7/4/89 show they released a couple of years ago, and the circulating SBD (at least what I have) has a cassette generation.

19. musicalbeds

I was thinking it would be better than Buffalo too...that was never a favourite one to reach for from that tour. I used to have them all on tape, but some got stolen and I never bothered to replace them...this release was one of ones I lost, iirc.

20. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Good news, I'd prefer something from 72, 73, 74, etc..but this should be a nice release.

I've been busy revisiting 4/29/71 thanks to the "new" SBD making the rounds.

What a show!

Grateful Dead
    Venue Fillmore East
    Location New York, NY
    4/29/71 - Thursday

Set One Truckin' [9:30] ; Bertha [6:08] ; It Hurts Me Too [6:25] ; Cumberland Blues [4:41] > Me And My Uncle [3:06] ; Bird Song [8:40#] ; Playing In The Band [4:40] ; Loser [7:04] ; Dark Hollow [3:03] ; Hard To Handle [9:11] ; Ripple [4:58] ; Me And Bobby McGee [4:#59] ; Casey Jones [5:22]

Set Two Morning Dew [9:51] ; New Minglewood Blues [3:47] ; Sugar Magnolia [5:#17] ; Black Peter [8:58] ; Beat It On Down The Line [2:59] ; I Second That Emotion [4:47] ; Alligator [3:35] > Drums [4:04] > Jam [9:13] > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [5:01] > Cold Rain And Snow [4:43] ; China Cat Sunflower [3:47#] > I Know You Rider [#4:15] ; Greatest Story Ever Told [2:41] > Johnny B. Goode [3:52]

Encore Uncle John's Band [6:02] ; In The Midnight Hour [9:35] > And We Bid You Good Night [3:18]

The Alligator>Drums>Jam segment is one of my all time favorite pieces of GD music. The do a major St. Stephen type jam after the drums.

21. honkymagic

honkymagic Forum Resident

The Alligator>Drums>Jam segment is one of my all time favorite pieces of GD music. The do a major St. Stephen type jam after the drums.[/QUOTE]

That is a fantastic section. On my CD copy, I labelled that the "glory jam." I love -- love -- that move into Cold Rain and Snow.

22. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Noted. :thumbsup:

I'm listening to the 7/7/89 show now on Archive.org. Not bad. :agree:

23. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

why don't they release something from the classic 1972-74 era, I'm not interested in much else from them, not that I'd buy it anyway as I already have the primo stuff...

24. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

I'm in. The 7/2/89 show I saw was sublime, especially the second set.

25. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

89/90 is my favorite era of the band. Pick this up for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.