Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St. box set with unreleased songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Driver 8, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member Thread Starter

I did a search to see if there was a thread specifically devoted to this upcoming reissue - if I missed an already-existing one, I apologize in advance.

According to the new Rolling Stone (with John Mayer on the cover), 2010 will bring a "coffee-table" box set of Exile, with, and I quote, "alternate takes and totally unheard songs, personally selected by Keith Richards and Mick Jagger." Richards is further quoted as saying, "Mick and I were looking at each other going, 'Did we do that'?"

If true, this is a new frontier for the Stones, going well beyond the recent Ya-Yas box set - never before have we gotten official deluxe editions or studio outtakes from the World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band. I am very curious to hear this set.

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I'm really looking forward to this and hopefully it gets Mick to become more open to opening the Stones vault. For a guy that seems to love to make money, I can't believe Mick has held out so long on the easy cash he could make by getting unreleased Stones tunes and classic shows out there. He has already missed out on a lot compared to getting this stuff out there in the heyday of 90's boxsets but he can still make a nice chunk of change if he gets it going now.

3. Driver 8

It will be interesting to see if this is a one-off project for the Stones or not. I sure would love to see a Stones Bootleg Series just like Dylan's.

4. Yeah, this is my most eagerly awaited release for the year. Hope they go all out and extend the release into the 1972 tour, that supported the album. Here's a rough google translation of an interview with Jag's in an italian newspaper:

We start from Exile On Main St., which will be republished.
    "I have mixed 11 unreleased tracks. Some are quite interesting (laughs, sucks the saliva, ndr)".

For example Following The River ...
    "Yes, it's a piano ballad.

What about a man leaving a woman.
    "Yeah (laughs)."

And Plunder My Soul, in which a woman leaves a man. Also here is the plan, but more rock.
    "We say that it is more a comedy ...".

Then, Sophia Loren. Why this title?
    "It's just a working title, do not call it that. For now it is so only to attract people ... (laughs)."

How did you discover these traces? Because for so long remained in the archives?
    "When the record company asked me if I wanted to republish Exile On Main St., asked some" experts "by the Rolling Stones to send all demos available. They were bootlegs. While listening to them for the first time I said "Wait a minute, but these things do not come from the same period (Exile On Main St., 1972, note), no, these were taken to another place, probably in the late 70s, maybe early 80s. .. ".

In practice you forgot you had it?
    "No, not at all. I had to understand just exactly when it was done, for Exile On Main St., was not recorded at once, but within three years. So I had to go back in time with the mind and seek additional tracks worthy of being published. I listened to tapes on tape. "

There is a statement of the time stating that the disk you did not like. You said: "This new album is crazy. There are so many different tracks. It's very rock & roll, but I did not mean a thing. I am the person most experimental of the group, I do not like to do and redo the same thing."
    "Crap. It is not true."

Okay, but how you feel today?
    "The good thing about this disc is that it's interesting when seen as a whole work in its integrity (the only double album by the Rolling Stones, ed). Its main feature is that it has many tracks" accessible. "L ' only song that has been successful and Tumbling Dice, but otherwise there were so many catchy songs like "Some Girls (1978, ed). The songs of Exile were still well received at the time. It is a very interesting album, with so many different musical styles, blues, a bit 'of country, a little' rock & roll and a little 'something that can not be put into a category. Let's say that represents well the good extension degi Stones music that is eclectic because had eclectic influences. as an album, is set pretty well. So, yes, I like it, although I do not ever listen. "

Before I spoke of "going back in time." You once said that "you must be careful not to remain trapped in the past or is likely to understand, the things around you change." The past is a trap for you?
    "I say that you should have seen your past stop you from doing so much more. Nobody wants to be trapped naturally in the past, but I quite like flipping between the old things, return them to the light and see how and what is left today . The truth, to return to Exile, is that the record has so much begged me to pull out of these things that I gave. My initial reaction was: "I do not really care about any of this stuff, I will not try anything . But they insisted: "Oh, favoreee, you can only give a quick glance, we are confident that there is something good ..." and so in the end it was really fun doing this research. It was like rummaging in the attic, groom in a trunk of old clothes and exclaim, "Oh, look at this! Once I wore it! I can not believe it! "(He says, raising his hands in the air as if holding an imaginary dress, ndr)".

The first time you went on stage she was 19. But you always said to hear a singer.
    "I've always liked singing and I always sang, but I never thought you could be a singer. Not a professional singer, just for fun. One thing to do during the holidays."

You were safe inside you can do better than the singers that you admire?
    "Eventually, yes. I knew I could be like them. Even if your heroes are always heroes. Think it's too hard to be like them, but eventually you realize that it is not so."

What were your heroes?
    "Elvis Presley and Little Richard: the latter, idolized him. For me it was fantastic. I was very lucky because the first tour by the Rolling Stones was precisely with Little Richard. I watched him every night, so closely, so closely in details ... He was really nice to me. He liked the enthusiasm of young boys. He cared about me, behind me and gave me lots of ideas. I watched him interact with the public, to understand how do. He gave everything he could to the public. You can go in front of people, just play and healthy, because sometimes the performers are quite timid, or interact with them and bring them to the excitement. I learned so, looking at him and James Brown . Behold excite the public: this is the best thing ESIB.

It's hard to think of yourself as a shy performer, even just in its infancy.
    "The Rolling Stones were so naive at the beginning. But shy, no, I have never been."

I would bet.
    "I know (laughs)."

When he came out Aftermath (1966, ndr) was starting the season of flower children. But that record was pretty tough: there were songs like "Stupid Girl" and "Under My Thumb" that conflict with the dream of peace and love.
    "I remember only that it was entirely filmed in Los Angeles in '65. I consider it a legacy of ingenuity of the early 60".

The issues do not seem so naive. You also been criticized for the contents of that disk.
    "Not so much ...".

Singing of "foolish boy." Feminists do not have attacked?
    "So, so. At that time, the feminist movement was still weak. If we had done ten years later would have been worse."

The hippie movement meant something to you?
    "I always thought it was a big ****. Sure, there were some interesting things in the hippie movement, but if we were to be critical, we could say that it was just a silly trend and that did not mean anything. If we were to look at hippie movement within its historical context, we would say that was an effort to change the rules of an old society. For example, in England there are many people who live like this, who choose a lifestyle that is "alternative" which is now was accepted by the mainstream lifestyle. They have their festivals, often associated with pagan beliefs in Great Britain, and are a subset of society. hippies still exist, go to Glastonbury and live for a while 'as a hippie. But it is not my style, no? ".

It is true that shortly before forming the Rolling Stones were doing the ice cream?
    "I did it, sells it alone. And it was also of very bad quality! It was a summer job. I always just did odd jobs, I never had a real job (laughs)."

You are very lucky.
    (Chuckles, ed)

I read a news story that said that you wanted to buy a truck peddler of ice cream.
    "Oh, no, do not think so. But, you've raked for good in the Internet on my account! (Laughs)."

Sometimes it's fun. Were struggling with two mobile phones before. You're not a technical person?
    "I think for how the music business today, it is necessary to be so. I still always have been. For example, in the studio there are enormous and complex machines and I like to work ...".

I speak of the technology useful for the information. Computer#$%&, as I know, look in Google your name on the internet ...
    "I looked for my name on Google (a very serious voice said, ndr). This is a really awful thing to do. Never search your name on Google! I know some actors who do, but not a good idea" .

Why?
    "An actor friend of mine starts every day trying their name on Google. Then, still upset for several hours, because he finds horrible things about themselves. Especially now that some people on a lot has been said or written, then they jump out of the most absurd, and there are many people who write on subjects of which he knows nothing. You should not do. Never search for your name on Google. "

Since Keith has been dropped from the famous coconut tree ...
    "Yeah (voice against, ndr)".

... began to talk about death more relaxed. Have you ever had any near death experience?
    "No. I'm not even ever fallen from the pantry (laughs)."

You have fear?
    "I think all they have."

In Sway (published in Italy by Einaudi, ed), the best-selling novel about the Rolling Stones "Satanic", there are tremendous dialogues among yourselves. What do you think?
    "I read a review that talked about evil, so I did not. God, what books embarrassing! But you know what is the most ridiculous? Surely our real conversations are much more dire than those invented here! (Laughs) .

5. Driver 8

So I hear.

6. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I'll be looking into this one as well, thanks for the heads up.

7. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Looking forward to this but seriously hope they don't butcher the sound by compressing it. Hopefully they have learned from the Beatles remasters which seem to be generally liked.

8. Driver 8

I wonder whether the deluxe "coffee table" edition will include vinyl, as the Ya-Yas deluxe edition did.

9. Exile on my street-that's a future purchase for me for sure..

10. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

:D

11. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I hope to be able to disclose and/or confirm some more about this set in the coming weeks and months. In the meantime, here's a link to the story I did a few weeks ago on the Exile reissue, which includes links to some great Nellcote photos from Dominique Tarle, in case you missed it the first time:
    http://myvinylreview.blogspot.com/2010/01/coming-soon-rolling-stones-exile-on.html

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

If they do as good as job as they did with YY I sure hope so.

13. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Wonderful. I just hope it doesn't cost $500.

14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Please correct me, but the Stones don't have control of their catalog prior to 1970, the rights being held by ABKCO?

15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Correct.

16. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

This is a track I want to hear.

17. It's quite a complicated situation. Mick and Keef benefit financially from the ABKCO(Klein)-era albums, but don't have control. There are even tracks on Exile that are still published by Klein under Westminster Music.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Great shots, wow you are a real Stones insider!

19. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

If there is a Deluxe Edition of Exile with extra tracks, this will be the only one of the new 70's remasters I'll buy as I'm happy with the Virgin 1994 Vinyl replica's, but Exile with bonus tracks from the sessions is one I'll gladly buy.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There will be more deluxe editions with hard bound books, extra outtake tracks in fancy boxes.

There is a Sticky Fingers red vinyl with tee-shirt box set out there. The "Hot Topic" set as it is known as.

The time is now coming, I think we are reaching the point where the vaults will begin to open up a bit.

21. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Thanks for the itw, the best recent one I have ever read on the subject of the Stones ! This reissue should be a gas.

22. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Don't you mean "It's a Gas, Gas, Gas" :winkgrin:

23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Maybe it's because "the man who love to make money" also cares about his legacy. I'm sure he feels that the best of it is already out there. You have to respect that. It is his music.

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

In my book, The Stones don't compare to The Beatles, (honestly I'm not looking for a fight, just stating my opinion), but I've always felt that "EXILE" was a very special album by them and, in many ways, could be their peak moment, (again, just my opinion)?

I'm digging reading this news of some unearthed "Exile" tracks and, if reasonably priced, I look forward to hearing them soon.

Chris C

25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

That about sums it up for me too Chris you're not alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.