OPPO's BDP-80 Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player - coming 1/25/10!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dbmay75, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

OPPO is releasing it's latest model, the BDP-80, this coming Monday. This is an all-in-one Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-A player which myself and several other beta testers (including SamS from the Gort team) have been toying with for the last several months in order to work out any issues as well as make suggestions. It's been fun 'playing' with the machine and I am confident that this will make OPPO even more of a household name for consumers on all levels as it will be even more affordable than the BDP-83 and still include many of the same great features and components as it's big brother.

More info regarding the BDP-80 will become available at oppodigital.com on Monday!

Cheers,
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. everton

everton Forum Resident

Can you provide us with more details about what the differences between them are (and also your impression)? Thanks.

3. dbmay75

I don't own nor have I tested a BDP-83 so I can't be of much help. However, I will say that for anyone looking for an all-in-one universal solution (especially for those who have been on the fence about purchasing a Blu-Ray player) and are current or previous owners of an OPPO player will find this model following the OPPO tradition of quality and value as well as affordable and very versatile.

For the record, the BDP-80 is an upgrade for me from owning a DV-980H (no longer produced) since it's release in August of 2007. I no longer use the 980 and don't plan to go back to it. This plays every disc format I own (including my USB flash drive) and plays it well plus the firmware upgrades we testers have received install effortlessly over my wireless network in my home.

4. everton

everton Forum Resident

Thanks. I guess soon enough Lexicon will introduce a junior version of their BD player.:)

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I look forward to the new Lexicon version of it.

Ah, Everton, you beat me to it. :)

6. dbmay75

lol ... after last week's news, I wouldn't be surprised :realmad:

In all seriousness, let's keep this thread about the new player and not involve Lexicon too much. Thanks guys.

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes. This announcement may actually be very welcome news for a friend of mine, who was gonna use his tax return on the BDP-83. If this does most of the same things for less money, it's all good.

8. everton

everton Forum Resident

Do you know how much they'll sell it for? I guess it should be in the $300 range. Otherwise, the price difference between it and the BDP-83 would be too small.

9. dbmay75

The BDP-83 and BDP-83SE clearly contain some advantages for those seeking top-notch audio and video quality, hence the higher cost. The BDP-80, however will retail at a price that should make many curious buyers very happy (I can't say more until you visit the website on Monday)

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

That machine looks great.

11. dbmay75

It does! The prototype I have in my home has the Blu-Ray, SACD and DVD-Audio logos printed on the tray, but several testers including myself thought it was too much and that the focus should be on Blu-Ray as it's the newest of the three formats. Based on the photos, it looks like the SACD and DVD-A logos have in fact been omitted.

I was asked above about my impressions of this machine and while this was my first opportunity to explore Blu-Ray in depth, all aspects of the player have exceeded my expectations, right down to the remote control.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

13. dbmay75

I couldn't help myself after reading the e-mail tonight Sam...this is great news for the company and their consumers!

EDIT: the link above contains the suggested price, folks. What do you think?

14. Toka

Toka Active Member

Color me surprised and impressed...$289 is an epic deal with Oppo's reputation behind it. :thumbsup:

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That's more of a generalization. Those with large screens (think 60"+ or front projection systems) are more likely to notice deinterlacing errors for video-based sources, where the BDP-83 excels by nature of its VRS processing.

For normal, film based Blu-rays (especially using Source Direct), differences will be minimal, regardless of screen size.

16. Thanks Sam. Even though the $289 price is good, I'd have a tough time recommending this player to my family and friends if it couldn't perform well on a 50" screen!

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Well, not quite Lexicon.

Let's keep discussion on this thread to the BDP-80, please.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It will do fine on virtually any screen, mine looks great on a 42" Sharp 1080p LCD!

19. dbmay75

Shawn,

I could not find where it used the words "not recommended", however I would sense that OPPO does not want to give the impression to consumers that the -83 is not a worthwhile investment when pairing it against the lesser expensive -80.

As an example, my HDTV is a 2 year old 37" Toshiba which connects via HDMI to the OPPO and after multiple resolution tests with the -80, I could not find any major differences. Of course, the results will depend on your TV and it's specs. I simply leave the -80 set to 1080p along with various other settings set to their full potential in order to obtain the best possible video and audio playback. I have no worthwhile complaints in either department.

20. dbmay75, if you go to this page:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-80/blu-ray-BDP-80-Compare.aspx

and then go to the section towards the bottom labeled "Oppo Recommendations" it's the first entry in the table. IMO, Oppo should better-define this either on that page directly or with a pop-up going into a bit more detail or it might frighten people off (they might think, "hey, for $200 I could get brand x's Blu ray player which doesn't have a problem with bigger sets.")

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There is clarification in the Comparison verbiage:

Don't want to focus on the wrong thing here fellas, this is a superb player, with a ton of features and performance for the price.

22. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Man, this is great news. It's like they read my mind as this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to get one as soon as they go on sale.

23. dbmay75

Sorry Shawn, I was only reading the text above the chart. Silly me. I recall OPPO printing a similar chart when I purchased my 980. Again, I believe this is nothing more than OPPO's way of saying "consider all options before choosing our lesser-expensive model." I used the 980 on both my first HDTV which was 42" as well as my current 37" and they both produced the same results. SamS is obviously better equipped to tell you if the difference in video quality between the -80 and -83 is night and day and therefore worth the extra green, but for those who want an OPPO Blu-Ray player in their home theatre but can't budget beyond $300, then their prayers have just been answered.

I'll try and post some halfway decent photos here to show current 970 and 980 owners some of the minor and major differences they can look forward to should they decide to upgrade. Stay tuned.

Dan

24. dbmay75

As promised, here is a sneak peek at the BDP-80:

1) Info! With the BDP-80 you can view artist, album, track details as well as view track time, album time, etc. When you don't want any distractions, simply push the "Pure Audio" button on the glow-in-the-dark remote and both your TV and the LED display of the BDP-80 turn off to minimize light and interference.
    2) Settings! With an updated interface yet a very user-friendly approach to the menu, you can tweak the video and audio settings to your hearts delight with the push of a button.
    3) Wireless! With earlier OPPO models you had to periodically check the OPPO website, download and transfer a firmware update to a CD or USB drive and insert the media correctly or risk corrupting the player. What's great about the BDP-80 is that upon booting up the player, if there is a new firmware patch available, the LED and/or your TV will alert you to install it in order to fix a documented bug or include a new feature (the adapter in the photo is an optional device available for purchase at OPPO's site)
    4) On the fly! Need to switch from Dolby to DTS? English to Spanish? 1080p to 480p? Again, just the push of a button. SACD listeners can even switch from multichannel to stereo without stopping or ejecting the disc.
    5) USB! OPPO models include a USB port on the front panel which makes them unique from other brands, however the BDP-80 now makes it even easier to switch from disc to USB than before and the new interface makes finding that particular MP3 or photo a snap (notice the three logos on the front of the tray door)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.