John Lennon expanded reissues and box set planned in 2010

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading. Thread Starter

http://www.livedaily.com/news/21175.html

Obviously the part about Anthology being the only Lennon box set is incorrect.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Interesting. Not sure how much potential gold is left in that vault - I'd think it's been tapped pretty well by now...

3. Stateless

Stateless New Member

If they reissue them like the Rhino Elvis Costello remasters or the new U2 remasters, that would be great. I really hope they use the original mixes this time. I also hope DF & M&H aren't loud as hell with digital distortion, like they are now.

4. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Add Mind Games to the loud, distorted list...but that new remix is definitive, IMHO.

5. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Look forward to it. As Oatsdad said there can't be too much left that we haven't already bought 2, 3, 4 times already. Who knows they may surprise us. I sure hope so.

6. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I think expanded albums are the only commercially viable way of putting out extensive collections of home demos. After the poor sales of the Acoustic album, I expect EMI and Yoko got cold feet over any other demo-only projects.

7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

i wonder when mccartney reissues are coming.

8. zippy

zippy Forum Resident

It would be nice to have a nuice remaster of each album plus all the B-sides and out takes all ine the correct place.

Maybe a DVD with each album? their must be enough footage for each album?

9. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Well, it was easier for EMI to make this series happen, because EMI owns the 1970-76 Lennon catalogue, whereas the McCartney catalogue is licensed material. When EMI's license on the McCartney catalogue ends, there's no doubt that McCartney will take it off EMI.

10. If they went back to the original (non-remix) masters, and mastered them without NoNoise or other futzing (especially Plastic Ono Band, which has never been released without NoNoise or remixing, as at least one track on the original CD had a remixed piano intro), I'd buy them again. Fat chance, though.

11. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I'd love to hear someone tap into the multi-tracks and create instrumental mixes, or just drum tracks, isolated bass, whatever. I would welcome that.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

This would actually be a great opportunity(and ad campaign)to issue the original mixes, unmessed with.

Evan

13. Henryflowr

Henryflowr Honorary Toastmaster Emeritus Runner-Up

There's still that amazing "Cold Turkey" acoustic demo that was aired on Lost Lennon Tapes and which was on Lewishohn's original tracklist for the Lennon Anthology . . .

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else might make me buy this material for the third or fourth time . . .

14. Henryflowr

Henryflowr Honorary Toastmaster Emeritus Runner-Up

:righton:

But I fear it won't happen.

15. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

There are some great alternate takes from the Imagine sessions---I hope those are included.
    I hope the extras on POB and Imagine and even Walls and Bridges appear on separate discs----those albums should stand on their own.
    I can't imagine what extras they could put on Some Time in NYC to make me buy that again.

16. Actually there's still plenty...though maybe not quite as much, and not quite as consistently as high a quality, as we saw with the original "Anthology", but there's more than enough to flesh out re-issues, and pad a nice box set as well...my fear is that there will be different extra tracks on the single re-issues, and others on the Box Set. Let's just hope that they do it like the recent Beatles Box Sets & offer up singles of a Box of the same (with some booklet, etc., and of course the box itself)...
    First & foremost, & all over youtube, are loads of pretty much finished songs in demo form...including "India", "Whatever Happened To", "One Of The Boys", "She's A Friend Of Dorothy's", "Sally & Billy", "Not For Love Or Money", "Across The River", "Gone From This Place"... and that's, literally, just off the top of my head, and not even complete. There's not tons more, and granted a couple of these are a little less finished/polished, but there are more than what I've mentioned here. There's also studio outtakes, recall hearing that there was a killer "Gimme Some Truth" that just missed the final cut of "Anthology", and I just finally heard the famous rock-a-billy medley from POB sessions (Honey Don't-Don't Be Cruel-Matchbox, etc.)...there's lots that was either on the Lost Lennon Tapes radio series, or stuff beyond that even that has now been bootlegged. "Live In New York" is in desperate need of an upgrade, and there is one whole show, of the two, that, mostly, hasn't seen official release (save for a couple of tracks on "Anthology")...
    I had heard that "Anthology Vol.II" was "in the works" for ages, and my bet is this is what it had morphed into. I'll just be glad to have anything else come out...there isn't much left and I hope they do it right & drain the vaults.

17. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Acoustic was destroyed by No-Noising and a silly flange/chorus stereo effect on some of the tracks. Just put the demos out as they are without trying to doctor them up with silly tricks which further reduce the sound quality of the cassette source tapes.

Also, were some alternate takes of "Grow Old With Me' recently discovered or at least booted? I think these were stolen by Seaman back in the day and I wonder if Yoko was able to get them back?

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'd love to get a version of the "Toot and a Snort" bootleg in really high quality. The material is soooooo.... but doesn't sound good on the boot.

19. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Definately will be interesting to see how they 'expand' the albums.

A DVD for each album with 5.1 mixes would be awesome, but I won't hold my breath.

20. Hey!!! I wonder "which 5" for the expanded editions?
    I had originally just assumed it'd be all of them, but that ain't 5...now this gets interesting...and what's on the Box Set...everything or just selections- and unreleased tracks on the box set or just on the expanded editions?
    1 Plastic Ono Band
    2 Imagine
    3 Sometime In New York City
    4 Mind Games
    5 Walls & Bridges
    6 Rock 'N' Roll
    7 Double Fantasy
    8 Milk & Honey
    plus...
    9 Live Peace In Toronto
    10 Live in New York
    11 Menlove Avenue

21. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I'd say it's a pretty safe 3 of the 5 albums will be Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and Double Fantasy.

For the other 2, I wouldn't be surprised if they were Mind Games and Walls & Bridges.

I highly doubt Sometime In New York City will be included.

Since it mentions that the box set will feature his 'commercially released' work, my guess is that it will be similar to the 1990 'Lennon' box, which was a multi disc compilation of singles/key album tracks.

22. zippy

zippy Forum Resident

Well my guess it will be:

1 Plastic Ono Band
    2 Imagine
    3 Mind Games
    4 Rock 'N' Roll
    5 Double Fantasy

Isnt Live Peace in Toronto complete? and Menlove Anvenue is an outake album?

Still it leaves :

Sometime In New York City
    Walls and Bridges
    Milk and Honey

Im excited but also worried this could end up bad.

23. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Yes

Yes, out takes from the sessions for Rock N Roll and Walls & Bridges

24. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

It'd be really nice to have some John Lennon CD's that don't sound like crap. Let's hope for the best.

25. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I'm guessing these five due to the fact that there are no solo Yoko tracks on them:
    1 Plastic Ono Band
    2 Imagine
    3 Mind Games
    4 Walls and Bridges
    5 Rock & Roll

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.