Rolling Stones post Abkco CDs: 2009 Remasters, Virgin Remasters or Original CBS CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Pretty simple.

Now that we have a new set of remasters, I thought it would be interesting to see how they stack up against the 2 previous masterings.

:wave:

Comaboy likes this.
  2. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

3. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

4. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I could have sworn that there was no Poll showing initially.

5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Hmm.

I like the Universals better on some, the Virgins on some. I don't like the CBS versions at all, never have.

Guess I'll count them up and give my vote to the one that gets the majority then between Universal and Virgin... oh well. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but those are the options I guess.

Comaboy likes this.
  6. George P

Hi Jerry! :wave:

I think the thread gets posted first, then the poll. I took a few minutes with the wording. :)

7. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

8. George P

Yeah, I was going to make it more complicated, but figured people could use a majority vote for this one.

9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Do us a favor folks and don't vote unless you've actually compared the versions by listening to them.

Comaboy and musicore77 like this.
  10. George P

:agree:

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Wisely, I do not qualify to vote.

12. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I haven't heard the 2009 discs. I can't vote.

13. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I haven't either - but there is no way I would part with my 32DP Goat Head's Soup.

14. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

The 2009 GHS is amazing sounding. It's so much cleaner sounding... it's like a layer of grime has been scrubbed away.

15. 1994 overall (for Sticky Fingers - Some Girls + Tattoo You.) I enjoy the Universal Emotional Rescue and the original issues of Undercover and beyond. I really love the sound of the CBS Rewind (1971-1984), but I'm pretty sure that's the only mastering, other than the Black Triangle (with the UK tracklist and a weird speed glitch at the beginning of "Tumbling Dice").

16. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I own all of the CBS, most of the virgin with collectable covers and I bought the UNI box. So It's a mixed bag for me currently.

When CD's came out, I enjoyed the "muddy" sound of some of the CBS CD's. The Virgins tweaked over those a little better (SF & Exile) and the new UNI I have a hung jury and I don't like loud CD's period. (I'm not saying they are)

"My Truths" If I want to hear this stuff most of the time I still play the Vinyl. I didn't vote. :D

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

No offense, but what ARE you listening to these Uni remasters on? I checked your profile, but I suspect you are an I-Pod listener? Just guessing, please don't take offense, none meant. If that's how you hear/listen to these Rolling Stones albums, and you like them, that's great. But proclaiming these UNI reissues are the be-all/end-all cd versions ever? Fat chance.
    I listened to SF, UNI version, and set it on fire. Then danced upon it, naked. Burned my feet something awful, I had a devil of a time explaining it to my Dr. I didn't tell him about my singed doo-dads, I was too embarrassed.

What's happened to this forum?! Have we come to this - graciously accepting remasters with waveforms that look like tidal waves?

Excuse me while I go slam 2 beers and a shot to cleanse my brain of this madness....

Color me: disappointed.

18. surfingelectrode

Not iPod, Zune.

I know my stuff, though. I own original US pressings of almost the entire Stones catalog (I'm missing a few early albums and the last two), and I've owned a good amount of the Virgins in the past. I wasn't even planning on buying these remasters, until I actually gave them a chance and listened to the remastered IORR.

I have a basic stereo system and I think they sound great. I apologize if it's so low-end that it provokes disgust from forum members. I'm a stereotypical somewhat poor college student... what can you expect?

I wasn't commenting about the actual mastering. Yes, they're mastered much too loud, but the actual music itself sounds much better. Crisper, cleaner, etc...
    I've said it before in the main thread, but I loathe the Virgins. They sound like they've had all of the energy sucked out of them.

Proclaiming the forum to be in a state of madness and having to resort to slamming shots of liquor just because someone disagrees with you is a bit childish.

19. I don't like the fact that the 2009 remaster of GHS uses the US LP version of Star Star.

20. surfingelectrode

Only the first pressings of it use the censored version. I think all versions in stores now should have the uncensored version.

All copies of the Amazon box have it as well.

21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thanks for that. I surely don't have a system that would make anyone have orgasmic experiences either! I was really just wondering. I listen mostly on headphones, and am therefore more susceptible to loud mastering.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm more than glad we are discussing classic albums such as these, it signals we are on the same wavelength!

It is, of course, the music that matters - peace and out - John

PS - debates like this are what I love about this forum. There's never anyone that's right/correct. Perception is everything.

22. surfingelectrode

Sorry if my reply was a bit rude.

I rarely listen to my music with headphones. It's either my stereo or my car, so maybe that's why.

23. George P

:biglaugh:

24. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

In any case, you can tell a good mastering from a bad one whether you listen on an iPod with Apple's bundled earbuds (as I am currently doing whilst I wait for my new Sennheisers), or a multi-thousand dollar home rig (such as I will own one day when all the credit card bills are paid off...)

The idea that new albums are mastered loudly for 'iPod listeners' is something I've never understood. Especially since most peop,e who predominantly use iPods for their listening have actually stopped buying CDs.

25. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

I don't qualify to vote either, but could I ask (by way of comparison), how the packaging stacks up too?

I just ordered the 2009 "Tattoo You" disc...

Many Thanks,
    Stephen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.