Yet another Kind of Blue release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Halloween_Jack, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member Thread Starter

Happy New Year folks :)

Thought this might be of interest to some here:

http://www.pristineclassical.com/LargeWorks/Jazz/PAJZ009.php

Pristine Classical ae very highly regarded in the audio restoration circles, and have done some fantastic work bringing many historical recordings up to more modern levels of audio quality. The 'XR' process they use is well worth a read - clever stuff!

Kind of interested in this release as it's a bit of a departure for them, and I know some will moan about the mention of tape hiss reduction (in places) but from the past releases I have purchased from them they really do know what they're doing. Downloading the 24-bit FLAC files of this as I type, and look forward to comparing this with my Mastersound CD and the 1997 remaster. Will let you know what I think.

Cheers,

- John

2. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

Stereo

3. Another year, another Kind Of Blue reissue. I'll guess I'll stick with my SACD and Miles and Coltrane boxed set.

4. dufman

dufman Forum Resident

Looking forward to your thoughts.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've heard a few of Andrew Rose's blues remasters, and to my ears they sound horrible.

I don't think Sony licensed Kind of Blue to Mr Rose, who's the man behind Pristine Classical; he's probably taking advantage of Europe's 50-year copyright laws.

6. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Aren't we due for a Kind of Blue video game?

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Unless I missed it, Mr Rose doesn't say anywhere which source he used for his Kind of Blue remaster.

(edit) I just e-mailed him, asking him which source he used. Will post the reaction here - if he does reply.

8. TRM05

TRM05 New Member

I like my 6 eye mono Columbia :

9. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I'm waiting for it to come out on Rockband.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I'm curious about that. I have yet to own a version of KoB (yeah I know :hide: ) -although I have heard the first remix/remaster many times-, and the excerpt on the site sounded very good to me.

I'd like to know what you guys that are much more familiar with this recording think about this mastering.

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

John, thanks for the info., but I will pass. Besides the fact that I have many excellent-sounding versions of Kind of Blue, the idea of removing hiss on this new issue concerns me.

12. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Oh lord, this is just a travesty.

Mr. Rose does not have access to the original tapes. He performs voodoo on these recordings using any mastering he happens to stumble on. He claims that it doesn't matter what condition the original source recording is that he uses, his techniques allow him to fix, through osmosis, audio issues.

Sure.

And the E-meter diagnoses "mental masses" that impede thetans from realizing their full potential.

I wish with all my heart he'd run afoul of copyright laws so that an entity like Sony could sue him for everything he is worth. An absolute audio fraud profiting from the creative works of others under a false premise that he is improving the sonic qualities of those recordings.

There are serious audio engineers here who could quickly expose the fraudulent nature of his work. And I seriously doubt Mr. Rose has the fortitude to go head-to-head in this forum with those audio engineers. He preys instead on the easily persuaded audio amateur to make his money.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Correct. He said so on a blues forum, where he pimped his blues remasters.

I totally agree.

I wonder if he'll tell me which source he used :)

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm with you two. And. . . it just seems silly, as if his ego is saying "see, see my Kind of Blue is better than yours!"

15. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Seems like there are more versions of KOB out there then there are Who compilations.

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I am not interested in buying anything Pristine Classical has available.

17. BradOlson

It won't be surprising when Mr. Rose performs his voodoo on "Time Out" by Dave Brubeck.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

He needs to perform his voodoo on The Beatles - "Star Club" performances.

:D

19. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I frankly can't wait for some small UK label to do a bunch of needledrops of classic jazz albums and make them sound better than the standard CD.

20. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Amen to this. Tape hiss is not the devil. Why so many think it is remains a total mystery to me...

Ed

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

22. BradOlson

Why buy a Kind of Blue CD sourced from an LP when we have a Sony/Legacy CD, SACD, vinyl, Classic Records vinyl, etc. sourced from the master tape?

23. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Oh there are countless Bob Norbergs out there, waiting to rescue us from bad old fidelity and transport us to a land sonically filtered through electronic artifice. Heck, Norberg was hired by the copyright owners through most of the CD era to do essentially the same sort of thing this fellow is doing to the digital (CD) releases of the majority of Capitol's heritage. The same sensibilities that made it happen are still alive and in the majority, possibly world wide. As sad as the situation has often been for reissues of copyright-enforced material on "original" labels, it might be argued we've actually been pretty lucky...

24. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

For the mono mix, which Sony has ignored (or held back for later marketing?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.