Question about Jethro Tull's 'Aqualung' with 'pink rim' labels

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by progmog, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progmog

progmog Senior Member Thread Starter

Having made the move from CD to vinyl, I thought that I had finally completed my collection of Jethro Tull original UK pressings by recently scoring a near-mint 'Benefit', complete with 'pink rim' labels. However, one album that has me confused is 'Aqualung'.

I currently own a green label original with the Island catalogue number, A-1U/B-3U matrix numbers, and a thin paper lyric-inner sleeve without rounded corners, all of which, I believe, denotes an early (if not first) pressing. The uncertainty comes from the existence of the 'pink rim' Island 'Aqualung'.

From what I can gather, the 'pink rim' 'Aqualung' has the same matrix numbers as the green label (although I can't vouch for the stamper numbers), but I have seen the 'pink rim' being sold with the thicker card lyric-inner sleeve with rounded corners.

There seems to be some debate as to whether the 'pink rim' was actually the first pressing, with some believing that it was pressed for export only, which could be why there is no mention of it in the rare record price guides. Also, 'Benefit' was released around the time Island were transitioning from 'pink rim' labels to green labels, so it seems odd to me that first pressings of 'Aqualung' would be on 'pink rim' labels.

Can anyone shed some light on this, or, if anyone owns a copy of the 'pink rim' 'Aqualung', could they let me know what the stamper numbers are on their copy?

Thanks!

2. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

I don't know if this is of any help, but my Island pink rim copy of Aqualung has A-1U/B-3U matrix numbers and a thin paper lyric-inner sleeve without rounded corners. It also has a textured gatefold sleeve. I found this used in the early 1990's for about $2, IIRC. In spite of some audible pops and tics here and there, it sounds wonderful and better than any cd version I have heard.

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Well, I know I bought mine when it was first released. Before the US version was released. And, mine is an all green label. Also A-1U B-3U

4. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I have one of these in VG+ condition, not a huge Tull fan was considering selling due to it's rarity. My guess is that it ran concurent when first released as all the materials were made in the UK. The German and US copies are obviously different, so I am not sure where this would be exported to.

C

5. progmog

That's interesting. Of course, it may that the one I saw being sold had the lyric inner sleeve switched with a later card one. Could you possibly let me know what the stamper numbers are on your pink rim? Thanks

6. progmog

Could well be, but again, it does seem odd that this was overlooked by all the price guides and the fact that Island were transitioning labels around about the time that 'Benefit' was released. If you have them to hand, the stamper numbers on your copy would be really helpful. Thanks.

7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

After some discussion of this with two collectors knowledgeable on island records, several years of my own observations - AND - taking the island label pressings of the period in 'total context' I've concluded (thus far) that the pink rim island Benefit & Aqualung are simply anomalies, pressed ca. late 1971/early 1972, maybe later, but after the first pattern green Chrysalis label with the white "i" (for island) at 12 o'clock on the label.

(Tull was with Chrysalis Productions and signed to the island label for distribution. All their early albums have that notation.)

The pink rim label was introduced half way thru 1970 but all the early copies of Tull albums up through that year use a 'textured' paper label (like other artists on island) and these were cut and pressed through Pye or Polydor records.

The EMI contract cuttings/pressings (using the -#U matrix system) does not appear for the island label until 1970 (for example on the debut EL&P LP) but within a year or two after that it seems very clear that island records were no longer were being pressed through Pye & Polydor, while the so-called EMI cuttings take over as the 70's get going. Maybe not coincidentally, the pink rim labels starting late '71/early '72 have a slick or smooth surface, the pressings are extremely uniform, in addition to the new U matrix system. Around this time (late 71/early 72) those island artists still in print were also re-cut using the same label and U number. This pattern label remained in use through 1975 when island again significantly redesigned their label.

In summary the two Tulls in question fit all the characteristics of the late '71/early 72 transition pressings. Additionally I have seen anecdotal evidence by sellers claiming to have bought these albums when they were released, all on the green Chrysalis / white 'i' label. These facts line up pretty squarely with other island artists using the same label and having LP releases in the same time frame.

8. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Original UK Green Chrysalis / white 'i' at 12 o'clock label rule also applies to first pressings of Thick As a Brick. This stuff was actually confirmed in the old DCC Lounge many years ago.

9. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

My Pink Rim is A-1U/B-3U

10. peter

peter Senior Member

The UK pink rim Benefit is, acc. to a Record Collector article on Island LP's from 1997 the second pressing. The green Chrysalis with the white "i" and an ILPS cat. no. is the first and the green Chrysalis without the white "i" and with a CHRS cat. no. is the second.

This article makes no mention of a pink rim Aqualung. Must be quite rare.

11. progmog

Great info as always, Raunch. :thumbsup:

12. Raunchnroll

The plain green Chrysalis / butterfly label versions (the one without the white 'i') seems to have been introduced about 1973: soon after Thick As A Brick as RandyW reminds us. This 'second' label was in use until Chrysalis went to a two-tone blue label (iirc in 1978). This parallels the use of the Chrysalis label in the US.

The pink rim variants are pretty rare I think - certainly very 'collectible'.

I am convinced these are not made 'instead of' the green Chrysalis', but rather at the same time. It could be nothing more than a mistake but by the time they realized it, 'no harm no foul' was decided and they were released. I have seen the pink rim Benefit version using the first aqua colored island marked inner sleeve adopted in 1971 and used through about 1975-76. Whether it was original to the LP or added to 'enhance' its collectibility I don't know.

Similar label switcheroos happened to other LPs as well - the first two Moody Blues LPs comes to mind, both made around the same time with either the white 'DSS' or the Deram 2-color labels.

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I had one of those - bought new. Also had "i" pressing Aqualung and Thick As A Brick. The Aqualung copy had the parchment gatefold and the thin paper inner sleeve. The card inner sleeve is a later variation.

14. gsxf65

gsxf65 Forum Resident

Ciao, to complicate things I can tell you that there are two pink rim label:
    1: pink rim standard letter (which I own)
    2: pink rim gothic letters (such as Chrysalis / white 'i' label).
    Even the British sellers (eBay) know something.

15. gsxf65

gsxf65 Forum Resident

Ciao, to complicate things I can tell you that there are two pink rim label:
    1: pink rim standard letter (which I own)
    2: pink rim gothic letters (such as Chrysalis / white 'i' label).
    Even the British sellers (eBay) know something.

16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Anyone know anything about the origin of the following stampers that are on my South African "Aqualung" LP that was probably pressed in 1975?

SOUTH AFRICAN PRESSING, Cat # ML 4055

PROBABLY PRESSED IN MARCH 1975 (see note on label below)

LABEL: Green CHRYSALIS. Right hand side “ML 4055”, beneath it “ILPS 9145 A / B”. Left hand side “Breakaway Music ℗ 3-2-75”

STAMPERS:
    A: CHR 1044-9145-A
    B: CHR 1044-ILPS 9145-B

:confused:

17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I'll give this another shot:

Anyone know the origin of these stampers:

18. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I just was browsing Popsike for this and it looks like there are actually THREE pink-rim Aqualung labels.
    1. standard text w/wide typesetting
    2. standard text w/narrow typesetting
    3. Old English text

19. progmog

The plot thickens.... :confused:

20. progmog

Just had to resurrect this, as I have been doing some more digging on this issue. I still have some more investigative work to do for 'Aqualung', but I am convinced that my 'Benefit' pink rim is a first/early pressing pressed in 1970. It is an EMI pressing (using the -#U matrix system) and has 'R' and 'L' stamper letters, meaning that side A was pressed from the 2nd stamper and side B was pressed from the 8th stamper. Furthermore, the label is not smooth or slick and, more importantly, I still have the original inner sleeve, which is clearly dated '1970'.

In conclusion, I don't believe that that the pink rim 'Benefit' was pressed after the first pattern green Chrysalis label with the white "i" (for island) at 12 o'clock on the label. I believe that it was probably pressed simultaneously (if not earlier), albeit in a limited run.

Can anyone with a pink rim 'Aqualung' tell me what the stamper letters are for their copy? I don't mean the -#U matrix number at 6 o'clock, but the letter (or letters) that are situated at 3 o'clock. Thanks.

21. gsxf65

gsxf65 Forum Resident

The letters on my pink rim "Aqualung" are: Side A: UL
    Side B: O H

22. progmog

Are you sure it's "UL" on Side A, and not "OL", perhaps? Following EMI's notation, that would make your Side B as having been pressed from the 57th stamper. I can't comment on your Side A, because I'm not sure what the letter "U" represents, but it does appear that your pink rim is a slightly later pressing. I'll check my green label 'Aqualung' tonight to see what the stamper letters are on that.

23. gsxf65

gsxf65 Forum Resident

Pink rim: side A: " :.: L "- side B: " 0 H "

Green label white "i" : side A: " A T " -side B: " A L ".

24. Raunchnroll

Interesting - I agree the pink rim Benefit is 'early' but I am 95% sure it was not be part of the LP's initial release. Critically, Benefit was released in April of 1970. The pink rim label, as I've gleaned from various sources as well as my own LP handling experiences, debuted in or around November 1970 - leaving a seven month gap between Benefit's official release date and the new island label design.

Next: the inner sleeve you mention..... if this is the poly lined, die cut top corners type, with the center 'window' and the 'Plastic Bags Can be Dangerous' box at bottom and date code in the lower corner - is very likely an accidental period switch, as these particular sleeves are uniform for all Polydor pressings starting in 1970. EMI contract vinyls on the other hand, from the late 60's and well into the 1970's, used almost exclusively the die cut white paper sleeves with the "Made in... / Patent No...." markings ...(with the exception of many island label / EMI matrix albums which from 1971 until the mid-1970's used a unique aqua color 'island' marked die cut inner sleeve with a poly lining.) This info comes with conversations from several other UK collectors as well as handling literally thousands of period UK albums over the years. As usual nothing is in this transition area is written in stone, but using a sleeve to date an album, while helpful & useful in some context where you are sure of the LPs' history, does warrant caution since they are so easily switchable. Also, I have found early 1971 release Polydor pressed LPs which were in late 1970 dated Polydor inner sleeve. (i.e: several month gaps between the inner sleeve date and the actual LP release date.)

Below is from Wikipedia although its source appears to rely on the authoritative island records book published several years ago by a Russian record historian/collector. As I collect the label myself and have most of the below titles, I can attest that all the first issues of these albums that I've found were apparently all pressed by Polydor. Consistently, when the below listed titles are found on the 'pink rim' label, they bear the EMI matrix U-number pressings.

Note here that in context the 'all green' / white "i" Chrysalis label is essentially a subsidiary branch equivalent of the 'all pink' / white "i" island label. Benefit and the Blodwyn LP are thus well ensconced within the solid or single color island label design period.

Island ILPS series from 1970

These were originally released with pink labels featuring the 'white i' logo, except for the two Chrysalis albums.

* ILPS 9116 - Traffic: John Barleycorn Must Die, 1970
    * ILPS 9117 - Spooky Tooth: The Last Puff, 1970
    * ILPS 9118 - Cat Stevens: Mona Bone Jakon, 1970
    * ILPS 9119 - Mott the Hoople: Mad Shadow, 1970
    * ILPS 9120 - Free: Fire and Water, 1970
    * ILPS 9121 - not issued
    * ILPS 9122 - Blodwyn Pig: Getting To This, 1970 (Label: Chrysalis)
    * ILPS 9123 - Jethro Tull: Benefit, 1970 (Label: Chrysalis)
    * ILPS 9124 - Bronco: Country Home, 1970
    * ILPS 9125 - Fotheringay: Fotheringay, 1970
    * ILPS 9126 - McDonald & Giles: McDonald and Giles, 1970
    * ILPS 9127 - King Crimson: In the Wake of Poseidon, 1970
    * ILPS 9128 - Quintessence: Open Up to You, 1970
    * ILPS 9129 - If: If, 1970
    * ILPS 9130 - Fairport Convention: Full House, 1970

In an as yet unexplained anomaly, Jethro Tull's Chrysalis album Benefit was also pressed on the pink rim/palm tree label sometime between November 1970 (when that label design went into use) and July 1973 (when Tull's first four albums, including Benefit, were reissued in the Chrysalis CHR 1000 series).

Free's Highway (ILPS 9138) was released in December of 1970 and is one of the first island label albums found only with the pink rim label and only with EMI U-number matrices.

In conclusion: I think the pink rim / EMI matrix Benefit LP is highly unlikely to have been an 'original' pressing or issue, but rather, could be as early as the end of 1970. Interestingly, and this is something to ponder....the same U-number matrices do show up on the later 'CHR' series green Chrysalis butterfly label pressings introduced sometime in 1973. So those EMI lacquers and/or mothers were apparently still available and occasionally put into use for pressing. In any case - they are certainly an anomoly and constitute a fairly scarce pressing.

In the case of the Aqualung 'pink rim', the scarcity factor is the label design only, since the first couple years of pressing all seem to bear the standard EMI matrices of -1U/-3U.

25. gsxf65

gsxf65 Forum Resident

There are two labels PINK RIM: one with the words:" P ISLAND RECORDS LTD" the second without this written.
    I know to tell the difference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.