The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour German Hörzu - You were right!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by axeugene, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axeugene

axeugene It don't matter if yer by my side, I'm satisfied Thread Starter

I thought I'd throw out a post to let you guys know that it's always great to be given the right advice on what pressing to go for.
    How else would I have known to go for a specific German pressing of a Beatles' album? A little while ago i almost picked up the MFSL pressing of Magical Mystery Tour, and after doing a quick search on "Uncle Hoffman's Forums", I saw that that would have been a terrible mistake, but it was out of that near disaster that I learned of the pressing to get. I kept an eye out, and eBay seemed to be way overpriced and certainly hit or miss. Gemm had something promising, and I hesitated, and then it was gone and Gemm remained in a Dearth of Horzu MMT.
    Then just recently I was checking out a site I hadn't used before and found what appeared to be a decent copy in France. It was CDandLP.com. The copy said it was in Excellent condition, and after shipping would be 39 Euros (about $59USD).
    I'd say that falls under the "not cheap, but also not too expensive if it's in said condition".
    I have two praises to give here - you guys are right. The pressing is a wonderful open sounding recording. A joy to listen to.
    The other praise is to this seller in France. This copy is IMMACULATE. No spindle trails, no scratches, this thing looks brand new and is DEAD quiet. Unbelievably dead quiet.
    So put me down for a positive experience from CDandLP.com. I don't know if it's common, and I know that nothing's a sure bet, but I'll risk it again in the future.

Now I'd like to ask you pressing experts out there: did I get the Horzu copy I was supposed to?
    The deadwax says: SHZE 327 A-1, and SHZE 327 B-3

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. I am not the expert you're looking for, but that looks like a terrific one! Congratulations!

I have a less earlier German MMT, and it still sounds great!

Gosh, you might even have a "wide-cut" there!

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye peeled on them sellers!

Izozeles likes this.
  3. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

Looks like you've got a nice one there! :righton:

I just found a copy of my own a couple of weeks ago in Berlin. Sounds amazing!

later, chris

Gavinyl likes this.
  4. SAPCOR1

SAPCOR1 Forum Resident

Congratulations on getting such a wonderful copy :righton:

Certainly the best MMT to get before this year's remasters and still the best on vinyl

5. The standard Apple / German by reputation has less bass,
    but it still a serious contender at $40. I've sold a couple.

6. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

On the whole this is the one to have IMO. The later Apple pressing with smaller deadwax stamped 04449-A1+C/04449-B1+C has too much bass boost and as a consequence sounds unbalanced to my ears. However, having said that, Strawberry Fields sounds particularly good on the later Apple version as it adds weight to the cellos giving the track a different, more menacing feel.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. william shears

william shears Senior Member

My copy is A-1/B-3 but has the 'standard Apple' label?:confused:

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  8. Ben Sinise

Your's is the same as the Hor Zu/Apple one above, without the Hor Zu logos and was released after the one in the first post. The one I'm referring to is a later version still, again on Apple, that has the recut sides. It's a different animal altogether.

9. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I have two German MMT pressings. One has the HORZU logo on the top left cover, the other has an Apple logo instead.

Deadwax info is:

HORZU
    Side one:
    SHZE 327 A - 1
    Side two:
    SHZE 327 B - 3

German Apple
    Side One:
    SHZE 327 A - 1
    04449-A-1
    Side two:
    SHZE 327 B - 3
    04449-B-3

They both sound almost exactly the same to me--wonderful!

Glad the OP did well by scoring a copy:righton:

audiotom likes this.
  10. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I have a beautiful copy of the first one you listed - great pressing!
    :edthumbs:

11. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Wow. Just, wow.

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It sure is a different animal!

I recently located the pressing that you are referring you with the recut sides. This pressing is on the two box Parlophone label as oppsed to the Apple label, although it has the German cover. It has the same stamper information in the dead wax area as the later Apple version. A few years ago, Randy W. posted about this, saying the Apple pressing with the smaller dead wax area is the best pressing German pressing of MMT and that the two box Parlophone sounded nice as well, but as not as good as the Apple.

I listened to this LP for the first time and I have to agree with you about the bass. It's too much! I have my amp settings at neutral for treble and bass and I can still hear an excessive amount of bass on this LP.

Maybe it's my pressing, but the volume level of the mellotron intro for Strawbery Fields (in my right channel) is very low and then then it all of the sudden rises after John Lennon sings the first verse. It doesn't sound that way on my HorZu/Apple presssing.

This pressing is definitely interesting, but in the end I expected it to better the Horzu/Apple pressing and in my opinion it's not.

I have the same pressing as the OP. It's a really nice sounding LP and I find it to be a more pleasant/natural listening experience than the "hot stamper" pressing that's been touted on this forum. $59 isn't such a bad price for a NM copy either.

By the way, the guy who touts this "hot stamper" stuff has a "hot stamper" German Apple pressing of MMT on his website for $349. What a bargain!!

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That's not such a bad thing.

14. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Depends on your system (and room).

The OP did OK with this one. I have all variations - still prefer the Apple +C overall.

15. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

yes! :cheers:

16. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Nice score on your MMT Apple/HorZu pressing !!! :righton:

17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Maybe it's just my setup.

18. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

I've got the German Apple A-1 B-3 pressing and its great!

The opening strings on "I am the Walrus" simply Jump out at you and it only gets better when the drums kick in.

For me, this pressing lives up to the hype, and then some.

19. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

If it's any consolation, I think Tom Port prefers your pressing now.

20. Ben Sinise

The recut "+C" didn't come out until the '80's. I have 2 Apple 072 copies, one with the original 1971 mastering, the other with the newer cut. Your Parlophone copy is later than both of them.

Absolutely, as well as personal preferences. It would be no surprise to me if others opt for the "+C" version.

Yep, he's done his usual backflip on it, but just as the seasons change don't be surprised if there's another revision in the offing. It may be an inventory related decision :D

21. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

As always, Ben thoughts are insightful...

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks, but it's no consolation to me. Port mentions on his website that he feels comfortable selling these records for the amount that he does becuase of the quality of the stamper. $350 for a German "hot stamper" pressing of MMT is just outrageous!

He doesn't seem to be big fan of the tube cut Parlophones either. There's no way that I would pay anything more than $20-$25 for Beatles UK solid state pressing.

23. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Some comparisons between the SHZE 327 A-1 / SHZE 327 B-3 and other MMT vinyl pressing and CDs.

http://www.beatledrops.com/magical_mystery_tour.html

I like the German Horzu quite a bit, but it's still a bit bright for my tastes.

All the versions I've heard of the Apple/Horzu A-1/B-3 sound the same to my ears. I found the later +C to be a bit boomier, but I don't have a cut up to compare.

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Boomier is a good way to describe the +C. It's not natural sounding.

I don't find the Horzu A-1/B-3 to be all that bright. Could it be that the UK stereo EP has more midrange? I find it to be a toss-up between the two.

I certainly would take the Horzu/Apple LP over the Capitol stereo pressing, although the Capitol mono is my favorite out of all of them.

25. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Yes the UK EP certainly has more midrange, and I've grown to like that sound. But as an EP, it's not the same album.

I do find the Horzu to be a bit too bright, but it's still the best sounding stereo version, and as you point out Tom, superior to the US Cap. I too prefer the Captiol Mono.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.