Slimdevices Transporter no longer "supported"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike B, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident Thread Starter

A couple off weeks ago I called Logitech Slimdevices inquiring about their refurbished Transporter devices (their high-end digital music network player). I was sold on the thing but didn't order it because I wanted to sell off my DAC and squeezebox so I'd have the funds to buy it.

Went on the site this morning and the refurbished section is gone. Called them up and the guy tells me the Transporter is no longer "supported" and they're going to stop making them.

So this is both an FYI to anyone else considering buying it, a chance for me to bitch about the fact that I'm stuck without a player and DAC, and a request for recommendations of similar products in that price range (1-2k).

2. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

No big shocker there... it was always over-designed. While I think there's a market for an audiophile standard form-factor Squeezebox.... adding uber-DACs with perfect measurements was overkill. That said, it's a shame. My Squeezebox Classic, even into a REGA IO DAC, still doesn't measure up to the same DAC with the Jupiter CD transport.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Bummer! They didn't indicate it was being replaced?

The Tranporter was designed by Slim Devices head-honcho Sean Adams. When Slim Devices was bought by Logitech, it was almost inevitable that "niche" audiophile products would take a backseat to mass-market, mass-profit items like Squeezebox Touch and Radio.

Glad I got mine when I did. The form factor, 24/96 support, and dual displays make is more desirable to me than a Squeezebox + DAC combo.

EDIT: You sure that guy had his story straight? Transporter shows still available and In-Stock from the Logitech website:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/3163&cl=us,en

4. Mike B

Well he didn't say I couldn't buy one, just that it wasn't "supported," which is actually pretty bad for a system that relies so much on software, and yes, they were going to phase it out.

Yeah I could buy one from their web site at full price but I was planning on a refurbished one for $500 cheaper.

5. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I wonder what's going to happen to all the people that bought $4000 Modwright transporters....

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I still find that strange. AFAIK, all of the old "Slim Devices" products are still supported, and they are pretty old, like the Squeezebox 1 & 2.

That guy may be talking about the dedicated tech support they have (had?) for just the Transporter.

http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/support/contact-support.html option 2

7. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I should have known when I bought mine a couple months back.
    The only thing(s) that fill the void are the Linn Network Music players, but they are much more expensive.

I thought this was possible with their Touch being announced.
    Though I was hoping they might bump the Transporter to 24/192.

Oh well...

8. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I am weighing my options for a music server system (now I just have my PC hooked into my preamp which needs to change). I have always been intrigued by the transporter but is it possible to navigate via a handheld remote ala ipod? I don't want to do the onscreen text only from my chair. I know Sonos and Squeezebox have iphone apps and that REALLY appeals to me as the iphone has largely replaced my laptop for lots of things (I even read and post on here most of the time from it).

9. Mike B

Ok I found a seller on Audiogon offering it new for the same price I was going to pay for a refurbished one from Logitech, and the color I wanted (silver) so assuming this transaction goes well I'm pretty much where I started. The lack of support, whatever that will end up meaning, still bothers me but the Transport just looks like such the perfect solution for me that I'll risk it.

jlc76,
    All of these squeezebox things, including the tranpsort, have remotes. They're pretty simple, with the exception of the one used by the Duet which has an iPod like interface.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There is a very good iPhone app that can be used on any Logitech device, including the Transporter. It's called the iPeng, it's $10.

11. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Don't waste the money, the Squeezebox sounds just as good...

12. Mike B

The DAC on the Squeezebox is weak, even compared to Pro-Ject USB DAC I'm now using at work for headphone listening, and certainly weaker than the MusicHall DAC I just sold. I'm plugging this thing into my stereo and use digital music listening as my main playback, I need a high-quality DAC.

13. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Why not buy a regular Squeezebox and buy a new DAC?

14. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

15. fathom

fathom Senior Member

The Touch is supposed to have a better DAC than the Classic or the Duet, and it handles 24/96. At $300, it might be all some of us would need. If not, add a good DAC.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Regular Squeezebox sounds just as good as the Transporter? Sorry Jeff, I have both, and A/B'd them, and have to disagree.

17. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I own both the SB3 and a Transporter, so I respectfully disagree.
    The Transporter has other advantages over the SB3, other than the DAC.
    Digital inputs, four of them switchable via the remote and 24/96 throughput.

I still prefer the DAC on my MH ULN-2, but the Transpoter's
    DAC sounds better via the balanced outs versus the SB3's RCAs

18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

They had no warranty after that anyway! :laugh:
    -Bill

19. With you there. I only own the SB2, but heard the Transporter when it first came out. They needed a mop to clean up the drool.

Damn shame if they are closing it down. And you're right Sam, Logitech does still provide support to pre-Logitech Squeezeboxes.

20. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

What? Have used both, and I wholeheartedly disagree. Regular squeezebox doesn't even do 24/96...

21. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I don't think a $2000 music server makes sense, because these devices are so quickly outdated, in terms of formats they support, and usability.

A high end DAC however - if it has the newest connections (including USB and HDMI) and supports all bitrates - will be good for years to come.

So it's better to have an expensive DAC, which is fed by the newest server device, which doesn't need to be expensive since it only serves digital data.

In the future, many Transporter owners will play files from the latest $300 Squeezebox connected to the Transporter DAC, the server part having become useless.

22. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Splitting hairs here but the Squeezebox and Transporter are players not servers. I do somewhat agree, you could buy the least expensive player, that accepts the highest resoltion files and spend the bulk on a DAC

The server is where the server software resides, usually a computer or a NAS.

23. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Once the Touch model is introduced, you'll be able to get most of what a Transporter offers by getting that and a DAC with multiple inputs.

I'm not far from that now with a Duet and a DACMAGIC. Once the Touch arrives with 24/96 ability, I'll be closer yet.

It isn't the same, but it is well worth the lesser price.

Personally I would rather save the money, as I expect further advances in digital sound in the next few years that will surpass the Transporter for less expense.

24. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

When is the Touch due to be released? I'm still using my SB2 with a PS Audio Link III DAC, so I had no reason to go with a Transporter. However, the Touch with my PS Audio sounds like a buy for me.

25. Shakey

Shakey New Member

The Touch is due soon, probably once Logitech clears out the Transporter.
    Seriously, I would have gone that route, but the Transpoter is Really a Hi-Fi component.

I keep switching back and forth with my DAC and the Transporter's analog outs and I can't decide right now. Plus it looks right, allows me to hook up my DVD player and other digital sources...

And I believe it will be supported just like all Slim products and possibly others, possibly the guy who designed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.