"Wish You Were Here" is happening on SACD!! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Metralla, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002 Thread Starter

I could not restrain myself from copying a post that appeared on Audio Asylum this evening (Friday Oct 26 9:46pm). The poster is registered as a "Dealer" (Distributor or Rep, U.S. Major Media/Electronics Store, USA Missouri) and this is his first and only post.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/26/262110.html

2. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

I knew for a good amount of time that the SACD would never happen. That ship has long sailed out since few stores even have titles let alone players to play them on. The best thing we'll get at this point to getting that 5.1 mix will be on Blu-Ray and perhaps even DVD itself.

3. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Not a shock that the final nail in coffin has been drove home...but hopefully with the resurgence of surround mixes in boxed sets (Genesis and The Doors) we will see the surround mix for WYWH as well as other Floyd Albums.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002 Thread Starter

If this report is accurate, it is interesting to see how close it was to being released.

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

TRANSLATION: Never in a million years cause it won't even sell a million copies...so say the record men.

6. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

What I like about his reasons are

1- there isn't the capacity to press enough SACD's (for an item that will sell many more copies than those SACDs that are still being made such as classical and jazz titles), and

2 - It won't sell

7. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

what do you like that? Seems like a bad thing to me. Maybe I misunderstood. Anyhow happy days :)

8. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

WEll...if pick floyd had the ad campaign as...say....(cough)....The Beatles!...(cough) maybe they would sell. BUt I don't think capitol wants to spend that type of money for more money.

(Hah...we're talking about Pink Floyd and making money with Pink Floyds music)

9. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

The problem Zack is that it would take more than just WYWH to get people interested in SACD. Had WYWH been released within six months to a year after DSOTM was on SACD then things might of turned out very differently but now... like I said earlier the ship has sailed on that. At this point any ad campaign for a WYWH SACD would be (literaly) throwing money down the drain. Anyone outside of a few Floyd/SACD fans who are left aren't going to care.

Releasing the 5.1 mix on DVD/Blu-Ray at this point is where the money will be. SACD as a mainstream format is dead. So why bother releasing a big title like this on a format that is niche when it'll sell far better on the modern day Laserdisc format (aka Blu-Ray).

For the record btw I love SACD. I hate saying SACD is dead but I'd rather be realistic. :(

10. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

very true....very true. had it been released a year after DSOTM it would have been a different story. ANd I do conceded that there would have to be more prestige albums released on SACD to have it have a comeback..(which isn't gonna happen). Hopefully we do get that deluxe treatment with a DVD/Blu-Ray surround mix.

11. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

Australian irony, which I forgot is not always understood outside of Oz.

Of course what I meant to say was that they cannot have it both ways. Admitting that it would sell much more than any other SACD must mean that the release would be profitable (they would get my money).

12. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

As to release on Blu-ray - easy.

Just find some HD "mood" pictures to go with the album.

When I worked for the Telstra Research Labs (Australia), one of my ideas was people creating their own video to match CDs. The net could hold the video, and the person watching would just sync up their CD or MP3 to the album (which avoided the copyright problems of a company having to obtain permission to transmit the music.)

It would not be hard to come up with some HD video for WYWH, and the disc could even have many version to choose from. And those who prefer to add our own mental pictures could just turn the TV off.

If every restaurant wanted mass market, then every restaurant would be just like the golden arches. Fortunately with food, many are willing to be niche.

The music industry has turned music into fast food, and they are suffering the economic consequences of this.

[/rant]

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

"Wish It Happened"

Is SACD the manufacturing cost that more expensive than CD ?

If they were to put it out in fancy packaging to wow collectors/fans,
    and not mention that is was a hybrid sacd..in case they were fears it may confuse folk.

Then it would be a win-win situation for the people in the know(wink wink),
    as they would be aware that there was a super audio layer on the disc.

Just a thought as I chow down on my morning bowl of cornflakes.

14. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Unfortunate, but not surprising.

Hard to imagine they could not make a profit on this release though, even with SACD still a niche (not dead but stagnant) market.
    Genesis box sets did well, MoFi continues with select Pop/Rock items as SACD, etc etc, so someone is making some money or they would not put these out.

15. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Maybe they could do a CD+DVD-A package like King Crimson... that would cover all bases, I reckon...

16. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

" Wish You Were Here is actually expected to come out soon"

http://sa-cd.net/showthread.php?page=7

17. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

LOL @ these contradictory arguments

18. besterlester

besterlester New Member

I'm sure the plant would cope with the demand. Is there a backlog of SACDs ready to be manufactured? I thought the format was dead.

19. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

Javimulder, the new (DSD) CD remaster will be a key selling point for 99% of customers but a DSD master for the audiophiles will also be included on the disc... that's the point of hybrid CD discs - to cover all bases.

PS I'm an optimistic person, but a DVD-A release seems unlikely.

20. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

my thoughts exactly

21. besterlester

besterlester New Member

this disregards the cost of manufacture and economic viability doesn't it? there are two different types of consumers mentioned above and they have different buying points. the one who thinks it's just a standard re-issue is not gonna pay 29.99 for a cd.

22. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

the difference in manufacturing costs is $0,50, so you need to make it only $0,50-$1 more expensive than a standard reissue cd.

23. besterlester

besterlester New Member

hmm, I wonder why, then, did MOFI and AP jack up their SACDs five bucks with their latest releases? wasn't this to do with having to press the SACDs outside the States?

24. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

They could have just released a "Limited Edition Super Special Anniversary Once in a lifetime Collectors Edition" Hybrid SACD, with a little SACD logo hidden on the back. Since it would play on CD players, they could have sent it out in a wide distribution, with the stores not knowing or caring that it was an SACD. Folks who knew about it would buy it for HiRez, everyone else would just get it because it was a "new" release of an old favorite.

The second excuse sounds lame to me. The manufacturing issue sounds legit.

25. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.