Sinatra / Capitol 180g LPs: Wee Small Hours, Come Fly with Me, Come Dance with Me*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by randy9700, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider! Thread Starter

Has there been any discussion regarding the 11/3 reissue date of Capitol/EMI Sinatra In the Wee Small Hours, Come Fly With Me! and Come Dance With Me!? They are apparently digitally mastered on 180 Gram vinyl.

2. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

I guess the foremost question now is if the latter two titles are in mono...

3. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

"Digitally remastered on 180 gram vinyl". Now that's a phrase I wish could be struck from the English language.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Depends how it's done. I don't see too many people complaining about the Doors Box Set (other than pressing quality issues on the early production run). They were mastered from 24/192 digital.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Seriously. Look for Sinatra on the original vinyl, it's surprisingly easy to find old tube-cut mono copies with mind-blowing sound.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

True. And they can usually be had for a song.

The lone exception is "Wee Small Hours" which can be pricey.

Ken

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The problem with much of the original vinyl is that the titles were both 1.) good, and 2.) popular, so they tended to get PLAYED.....a lot.... on 1950's typical-consumer-grade turntables. Finding them in truly high quality can be challenging. Finding them with a degree of snap/crackle/pop is easier, by comparison. YMMV.

Vinyl_Blues, CBackley and Vinyl Dude like this.
  8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Perhaps, but your odds of getting a good sounding copy by buying 9 $2 copies of Songs For Swinging Lovers is probably greater then by spending $18 on one new digitally remastered LP.:winkgrin:

9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Depends on the person's tastes and whether they're just looking for a decent sounding copy of an album and vinyl is their preferred format. I've got several Capitol From the Vaults LPs and they sound fine.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  10. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

I've been asking about these for a while. It'd be nice to know which digital masters they're using. If they mastered the currently-in-print CD versions to vinyl, it's an obvious pass. If not, I don't see where this would be all bad. It's easy enough to find Come Fly… and Come Dance…, but I've yet to see an affordable Wee Small Hours that's not in Good or Fair condition (or even an eBay "VG" worth gambling on—there are safer ways to part with fifteen bucks plus shipping).

11. fergojisan

fergojisan Atari 2600 Gadabout

Are these also available on CD? I need a place to start with Frank, I appreciate him a lot more now than when I was younger. I have some vinyl, but as has already been mentioned, it has been played a lot. :)

12. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I'm not sure, but some speculation I've seen around the net about other titles in the Vaults series is that they're hires copies of the master tapes, probalby done for the same reason as the Doors box or the Beatles remasters, to avoid damaging fragile master tapes with repeated playback. As always, the main determining factor will be the mastering moves.

13. mbleicher1

Well, the albums are in print on CD, but there are varying degrees of problems with what's out there. The Bob Norberg remasters from 1998, which are the easily available ones you'll find on Amazon et al are generally pretty bad, although Come Dance With Me sounds OK. His "Wee Small Hours" is awful. The older Larry Walsh masterings from 1991 are better, but some have phase issues, some fake stereo issues, and some added-stereo-reverb issues. I would wait a week or two and find out what the story is with these reissues.

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"It's a quarter to three . . ."

My guess would have been that Only The Lonely would have been the one with all the beer stained covers and scratches on the lead-in grooves to "One For My Baby.":laugh:

Shouldn't be too hard to find. Like the sound of the original LPs better, scratches and all. But I find the three CD box of highlights from the Capitolhey gorts! fix the thread title!*—catalog a great supplement when I'm too blitzed to get the stylus on the spinning vinyl or even hear the difference anyway.:angel:

The Box:
    [​IMG]

. . . also has an alternative take of "One For My Baby" sans orchestra.

* Looks like you fixed it—thanks!

15. randy9700

Gorts...I appreciate the title fix...my bad, I know better. Pursuant to the thread, I am the kind of person that gambles on thrift stores, $2 copies and trusting someone on eBay to be honest and truthful in rating the vinyl they sell. However, it is a crap shoot at best. I have bought stuff that visually had that 'unplayed' look only to cast it in the 'never on my good table' pile and save it for my old Scott TT in the garage. I have been burned enough that forkin' over $16 at Tower might be worth a shot to see how they sound. My experience is the same as others here...these lp's did not sit on the shelf, they got played and played on who knows what TT and what stylus let alone the condition of the stylus, TT geometry etc. I watch the threads concerning the MFSL titles and plan to pick up "Only the Lonely" and "Nice and Easy" and possibly "Sinatra and Strings" and because of the reviews here I figure it is worth the extra $ for a decent copy. I honestly wish MoFi would re-issue more titles but that could be years away if ever for some of these titles. This forum has been very educational and has saved me from buying some releases just on the basis that they are so-called 'audiophile'

Randy

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  16. Jamison1955

Jamison1955 Forum Resident

Looking forward to these. Anyone know if Come Fly With Me is stereo or mono? Hopefully the grey Capitol labels will be on WSH and CFWM.

17. maninblack

maninblack New Member

I have the 21 CD Box Set Sinatra ~ The Capitol Years which were (as far as I can tell) remastered in Britain back in 1998. Most of the reviews that I've read about it seem to be pretty positive, but I was just wondering what people here think about them. Personally, I much prefer the Box Set over the 1998 American remasters, which weren't very good at all.

18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

My girl got me a great boxed set last Xmas it has 14 cd's of most of the "concepts" albums , you can get the box pretty cheap usually $29 - $59 , really well worth it , most of the cd's sound really good & they come in mini lps sleeves which is cool .

[​IMG]

I kinda agree on buying sinatra Vinyl , most of what i own i bought for $1 - $8 as original used & most is in really nice shape , yeh theres a few pops & clicks , but that's part of the charm .

19. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The gray label for CFWM is cool but this one is a little cooler:

[​IMG]

20. randy9700

I received WSH today and listened to the entire LP. After hearing both sides, I was so pleased with it I ordered the other two new releases. It may not be MoFi but it sure sounds nice and full on my basic system (Pioneer SX-1980, Technics SL1200 MK2 Shure V15VxMR and a pair of Advent Maestros). These titles are $15.99 (Tower.com) with free shipping so the outlay is very modest. The packaging was nice with a quality outer and inner sleeve. Randy

21. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Is the Wee Small Hours mono? Somebody needs to compare it to a good grey label, if so.

22. mbleicher1

Well, it would have to be, wouldn't it? It was recorded in 1954, and even the most recent CD version is mono—just very poorly mastered mono. I can't imagine Capitol would release a duophonic LP in 2009.

I'm sure if you can find a good grey label, the grey label would win. The problem is that for $15.99, it can be hard to find one in good shape—at least in my experience.

23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Exactly! I've been burned several times chasing original pressings only to find them unlistenable or at least badly flawed due to groove damage.

I think randy9700's post underlines something some of us too often forget here, that it's about the sound. He's obviously pleased with the release. Instead of obsessing over what may or may not be the absolute best pressing, etc., he's simply enjoying the music.

24. musicmax

musicmax New Member

The current CD (American at least) has stereo "junk" added to it.

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That Stereo reverb takes some of the naturalness out of Frank's vocals for me. Bob Norberg's heavily noise reduced CD masterings last go round should be taken out of circulation and recalled. They were a travesty to Frank's legacy. Glad to know that the new LP reissues are OK sounding. I like the early 1980's UK reissues very well. Those records sounded very excellent. Good, quiet surfaces to boot. Finding clean, quiet originals of this material is a challenging endeavor.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.