Pearl Jam - Backspacer: Another Release Ruined By The Loudness War!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marcust99, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcust99

Marcust99 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm SO disappointed that Pearl Jam's *excellent* new record Backspacer, is ruined by being compressed to crap and hot to the point of clipping. It's as bad as Death Magnetic by Metallica, or Magic by The Boss. This is just getting ridiculous. Bob Ludwig mastered this so you'd think he'd know better, or at least convince the powers that be, to not make it so hot. Not sure it was a band decision either as Ed Vedder is a big Vinylhead and is into good sound.

Boo Hoo.

2. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I'm sure that Bob Ludwig was in no position to argue about these things. He has to keep his job, and part of that is taking orders from others. It's either a scenario like that, or a Memory Almost Full type of situation where it came to Bob Ludwig already squashed and mutilated.

Frank R.

3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

If I get a chance, I'll ask Ed about in when hes in Philadelphia next month. I'm also going to ask why The Super Deluxe edition of Ten didn't include a Hybrid SACD.

Cheers, Michael

4. Marcust99

Marcust99 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks Michael. I'm very interested in what Ed and the guys think of the mastering.

5. maschuu

maschuu New Member

While far from being perfect, it's nowhere near as bad as DM..

6. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

The End was the bomb...

I just finished spinning the black circle of Backspacer, and although I was not overly impressed with the music--Vedder's ballads excepted, I heard nothing wrong with the vinyl, sounded good to me... :angel:

Yet another case for vinyl over Cds!!!! :agree: :righton: :wave:

:D

7. Modern_Mannequin

Modern_Mannequin Active Member

The last album by them (self-titled) was a loudness war victim as well. It's really messed up when you think about it; the majority of stuff released to CD at this point has compromised (usually quite seriously compromised) dynamics thanks to this mastering trend. Imagine if all the art out there was being reissued with loud, obnoxious colors that were untrue to the original. Same damn thing going on here!

8. Can't see that it wouldn't be; the band may no longer be Flavour Of The Month but I assume that their opinions carry some weight with the suits, esp since IIRC this is released through their own major-distributed vanity imprint.

Could be just another or those weird situations where, like with the White Stripes, the band can put a lot of thought into the recording but just dosen't care that much about the final mass-produced product, or at least not about the digital version.

9. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Damn iPods...

10. TwoAmused

TwoAmused Forum Resident

Wow, Backspacer is not even close to Metallica's Death Magnetic. Sounded pretty good to me on CD compared to other recent rock releases. And def. an improvement over PJ's '06 self-titled album.

11. Rottenstain

Rottenstain Forum Resident

+1

Also better then the ten remaster !

12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Can anyone print out one of those screen caps so I can print it out for illutration purposes?

FYI, my wife ordered the vinyl single but I haven't played it yet.

Cheers, Michael

13. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

interesting observation, because during my first listen I was thinking it sounded good and not overly maximized. The tonality and texture seemed natural, and I was thinking it redeemed the O'Brien/Ludwig team who were so thrashed for the last few Springsteen releases. Curious what others have to say, and what I hear on other systems and not my computer.

14. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

This CD sounds fine. Yet another thread for industry types to give the ol' :rolleyes: to...

15. I guess I should say that I made my comment without having heard the disc, and taking the OP's word that it had been smashed.

16. porcupine71

porcupine71 Forum Resident

I bought the Back Spacer vinyl last week and thought it sounded pretty good. Nowhere near as bad as Death Magnetic. Songs weren’t too bad either. I had to give it couple of listens but over all thought it was a decent effort by them.

17. Dream Operator

Dream Operator New Member

The iPod was released in 2001. Albums were commonly being ruined at least as far back as 1995. Blame something else! :laugh:

Tim

18. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

No, it doesn't sound fine. It's obviously had the life compressed out of it. Sure, not as bad as some of these wretched mastering jobs, but bad enough. No way in hell would I call it "fine". Unacceptable is more like it :sigh:

19. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Which was the first brickwalled CD

20. Dream Operator

Dream Operator New Member

We should take this elsewhere, but to finish up, I don't know. I know that I've got some pretty loud ones from 95 (Phish - A Live One comes to mind. Compare with their newer official SBD recordings. Much better now!). Start a thread, I'm sure you'll get better answers!

Tim

21. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident

Couldnt be more wrong. Sounds great in my room. DM or Magic? Come on....

22. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

it's not as bad as s/t, but it's still compressed quite a bit. The waveforms look like squares, but not a block or full square....a picture should help explain what I mean.

Supersonic:

[​IMG]

Comatose (from s/t):

[​IMG]

While it's a step in the right direction, there is still a lot of room for improvement. I'd like to see what the vinyl looks like.

23. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Compared to some other recent releases, this is a godsend.

24. RLaidEPeas

RLaidEPeas New Member

Cant you guys create one of these threads for every new modern release that comes out? Why does the OP act so surprised that this album wasn't mastered with the audiophile in mind?

And honestly, as others have pointed out, Backspacer isn't near as bad as some modern releases, and it's light years better sounding than the 2006 self titled release.

25. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Sheesh, what standards. We should all accept this crap and be happy with it because it could have been worse? :sigh:

A "godsend"? :sigh:

Pathetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.