New Jerry Garcia Band (Keystone Berkeley, November 17 & 18, 1975) coming in Nov.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member Thread Starter

According to Amazon, The Jerry Garcia Collection, Vol. 2: Jerry Garcia Band (Keystone Berkeley, November 17 & 18, 1975) is due 11/17/09. No track list yet. Lots of new releases are flowing from the vault.

http://www.amazon.com/Jerry-Garcia-Collection-Vol-Keystone/dp/B002PJS38K/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1253314432&sr=1-8

Here are the setlists courtesy of thejerrysite.com:

11/17/75

- Set 1 -
    Sugaree
    Catfish John
    All By Myself
    Russian Lullaby
    Pig's Boogie
    Waltzing Matilda
    They Love Each Other
    Teddy Bear's Picnic
    The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
    Mystery Train

- Set 2 -
    Mission In The Rain
    That's What Love Will Make You Do
    Positively 4th Street
    Lady Sleeps
    Friend Of The Devil
    How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You
    Let's Spend The Night Together

11/18/75

- Set 1 -
    Let It Rock
    Tore Up Over You
    Friend Of The Devil
    It's Too Late
    Sugaree
    Pig's Boogie
    Sitting In Limbo
    (I'm A) Road Runner

- Set 2 -
    They Love Each Other
    Tough Mama
    It's No Use
    I'll Take A Melody
    Let's Spend The Night Together >
    Edward

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

This looks great, and pretty close on the heels of the last Pure Jerry.

I was initially confused by the "Jerry Garcia Collection Vol 2." label - I thought "VOl 2? What the heck was Vol 1?"

But I now see that "Vol 1" was the Legion of Mary release from 2005.

So there's the "Jerry Garcia Collection" (two volumes) and "Pure Jerry" (nine volumes)

Whatever they call it, I'll take more please.

ps - I wonder if we'll get the obligatory "pre-order bonus disc" with this.

3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I love that these things are starting to come out regularly again. I'll be all over this baby. Hopefully there'll be a bonus disc (please?) if it's ordered via GDP. Got my official GRATEFUL DEAD SCRAPBOOK with a CD and a DVD today from GDP/Rhino and it's beautiful!

4. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Right on!

5. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Nicky Hopkins and Ron Tutt were in this version of the JGB..great stuff!

Keep them coming!

6. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

This is funny. Just the other day I reviewed all the contents of the various Pure Jerry releases (since I have only three titles). I was disappointed that there wasn't a set with Nicky Hopkins.

So I'm definitely on this one!

7. JayB

JayB Senior Member

You should like this one John..

I personally find the "Pure Jerry" series very hit or miss...the recent 78' one was more to my liking and this should be good as well. I believe I have one or both of these shows on DAT somewhere but haven't listened to them in years. I always liked the version of "Edward" that this band did!

8. docwebb

docwebb Senior Member

Gotta love that Teddy Bear's Picnic!!

9. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Since we both like the latest Pure Jerry, Jay, I'm curious about your other favorites.

I recently saw a used copy of the Merriwether Post Pavillion set, and I'm wondering if that's a good one to pick up.

10. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Merriweather took a little bit to grow on me but once it did it turned into an essential release for me! Great long performances of some fantastic songs. There's feel in the performances that is hard to describe, but very "Jerry."

11. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

the final song is Edward ,The Mad Shirt Grinder, a Quicksilver song which Nicky wrote / played on.:thumbsup:

12. cvila

cvila Senior Member

From deadnetcentral.

13. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

mmmmmm.....multitrack:agree:

14. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

Always glad to hear that another Jerry release is coming out. There's so much official Dead stuff out there but not nearly enough Jerry.

15. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

John,

The Merriweather set's only slight flaw is the sound, which is OK, but a good notch below the usual soundboard standard. The other sets all sound better to my ears except the Lunt-Fontanne theater sets, which actually sound a good deal worse. Musically, however, Merriweather is the jewel of the Pure Jerry series so far for me! I think you'll be pleased with it.

L.

16. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I like the Merriweather John, but personally if you don't have everything out from the Legion of Mary days, the 2/28/80 release, or the 2CD set put out in the early 90's that is called "Jerry Garcia Band" I'd get those first. (The "Jerry Garcia Band" 2CD set is one of my favorites.)

For me, later-day JGB is often better then later day GD.

Here's a link from amazon for the 2CD JGB set;

http://www.amazon.com/Jerry-Garcia-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1253444375&sr=1-1

17. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

The Lunt-Fontanne set (or sets, I guess) is the first Pure Jerry that I got. Despite very high expectations, I was really disappointed. Which is why I didn't immediately jump on the Merriweather set.

Glad to hear that both you and Jay (and others) enjoy this set.

18. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I was also disappointed with the Lunt-Fontanne set, and not just because of the sound. The performances are good, but not great and the sound problems keeps you from just enjoying to feel of the timber and the ensemble, a pleasure that can often carry you over the more meandering or ramshackle moments in a JGB set. The acoustic sets are also fun just for the fact that the set lists actually have more than just the usual suspects on them.

But Merriweather is another animal entirely. There's a consistent and high level of intensity to both concerts. The band was just ON on both nights, with grace and abandon in equal measure (even if it's not always the best night for Jerry's upper vocal range). The performances more than compensate for the sound , which just doesn't have as much of the usual open space and detail (and the occasional missed vocal note gets lost in the sureness of the guitar playing) Disk 3 (first set of the second show) is particularly strong, with a beautiful take of "Forever Young," as is the long concluding version of "Don't Let Go" on disk 4. But the whole thing is far more consistent than any of the other Pure Jerrys. These performances rival those on "JGB," "Don't Let Go," and "After Midnight,"although the sound on all of those is, of course, much, much better.

L.

19. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Agreed, Merriweather is fantastic. Wife says it sounds like Jerry is playing as if it's his last show. His solos just sound so...heavenly. Part of that is the sound of the recording, and partly the sound of his guitar, but man, he is just playing with a fever. I especially love disc 2 with that wonderful Harder They Come and a truly rocking Tangled Up in Blue!

20. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Well,thanks to all for the thoughts on the Merriweather set. I had to leave town for a couple of days. But upon my return, my local used shop still had a copy. Which is now my copy.

Must have been meant to be.

21. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Let us know what you think of it!:righton:

22. regal

regal Member

To me the the JGB w/ Saunders is the best music Jerry played. The 5-21/22/75 Menke audience tapes are what I consider the best live music ever recorded (both sound quality and performance.)

I wonder how the Rhino demise will affect this new release, its odd that it is listed at Amazon.com but not at Dead.net.

23. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

Isn't the band with Jerry And Saunders considered to be "The Legion of Mary" and not the JGB and yes I do agree that this was some of the best music Jerry played.

24. regal

regal Member

Sometimes they were billed as LOM other times Garcia and Saunder, etc. I forget the years the names changed.

25. Tone

Tone Senior Member

:righton: ...... Fabulous playing. I was living in Berkeley at the time and saw many of those Jerry/Merle shows at "The Keystone", probably including the ones here. Jerry really dug in with his playing, and people would come out suprised, saying. "Wow Jerry really is a great player". A very cool and loose scene in those days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.