Pink Floyd DSOTM 30th SACD Retains SQ mix in stereo layer!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peacekeepr73, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member Thread Starter

I Just bought the 30th anniversary SACD of Dark Side Of The Moon and popped it into my Marantz CD-40 MKII that is hooked to my Sony SQR-6650 SQ Quadraphonic receiver, turned on the SQ decoder and what do I hear? QUADRAPHONIC SOUND! The SQ mix Lives on the standard red-book layer of the hybrid SACD. I just thought I would bring that to the attention of the Pink Floyd and Quad junkies on here.

2. Master Shake

Master Shake Forum Resident

Shouldn't that sig line read: If it's too loud, .....?

3. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

have something that i don't understood in your post.
    the hybrid 30th anniversary SACD of Dark Side Of The Moon is stereo and 5.1.
    the SQ is Quadraphonic.
    Quadraphonic receiver will give you Quadraphonic sound.
    then...???
    please explain, i really don't understood.

4. Jim Ferris

Jim Ferris Banned

Are you sure about this?

5. crossed.out

crossed.out Forum Resident

Cool. I was going to buy this today, but instead bought a bunch of books that HMV had on sale.

6. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member Thread Starter

Well it's just that there is nothing in regards to this on the packaging and thought a few people might be interested to know

7. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Many stereo recordings include certain effects regularly employed in the studio, for example phase-based effects, that a quadraphonic decoder could "mistake" for the sonic cues it is actually designed to react to. But I am not sure if that would result in an appropriate quad mix.

As an example of this kind of behavior, using Dolby Surround or Dolby Pro-Logic (not DPLII though) with many stereo music recordings rather than a Dolby Surround-encoded movie soundtrack can generate some very nice mixes, as if they were intentionally placed there; many acceptable mixes; no surround sound field at all; and sometimes there can be mixes that are just plain awful, with inappropriate instuments or vocals popping up randomly behind you.

If you really want to see if the SQ version is actually present, listen to the dvd-audio or tape format versions of the quad mix done by Alan Parsons.

8. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

ah, ok.
    in my oppinion sounds great.
    have some high frequences in "on The Run" that i never heard before.
    magnific "Money" for everyone.
    the SQ Quadraphonic have different panning in some passages and this SACD in 5.1 sounds better than the "Parson's" quadraphonic mix from the master tape.
    highly recommented for one "not a great P.F. fan" (me in this case)
    i can imagine how big fans will feel hearing in 5.1. :righton:

9. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

I think it's very interesting. To think I searched for quite some time for the quad mix and apparently I had it all along. (with no way to play it). Both surround mixes are excellent but I usually go to the 5.1.

10. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Just for a bit of clarification, it's the quad mix used on vinyl, and not a discrete 4.0 quad mix, correct?

11. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

All I know, is I have the quad mix on DVD-A. :)

12. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Well the quad mix is on the vinyl versions marked as such but it's present in the "SQ" encoding format, which is not known for providing four fully-discrete channels. In other words there can be very audible bleed-though among the channels, IIRC especially between the two rear channels.

Btw the only fully discrete quad vinyl format was the CD-4 system, invented by JVC.

13. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I know this, but I'm trying to clarify it for everyone else because even though the op talked about the red-book layer, a few people here didn't seem to know what to listen for and how.

14. I don't think this is correct as the quad mix of DSOTM is completely different than the stereo mix, with different instrumentation in many parts.

15. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I was about to check out my DSOTM to hear if it did equal the quad mix, and maybe your reply saved me the trouble. The quad mix of "Brain Damage" was released on Works, which also reveals different timings of some of the spoken effects and of course certain vocals and instruments positioned differently. I would think if anyone knew about this, the folks at QQ would.

16. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

yes.
    Quad mix have differents intrumentation in many parts.
    you can hear in specail the final part of "On The Run" where the "airplane rising" pan from right to left and back lots of times but in stereo mix don't happens, is fixed in only one channel.

17. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Correct, the SQ record played back in Stereo has a very different mix than the Stereo mix.

18. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

Totally agree, the mix is different

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You are not hearing the Quad mix, just an interpretation (a conversion if you prefer) of the standard Stereo mix by your SQ decoder. It is not the same thing.
    The redbook layer of the SACD does not contain the Quad mix.
    The Quad mix hasn't been *officially* released on digital, AFAIK.

20. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Here's a way to tell if any stereo CD contains the SQ mix: there will be slight differences in Claire Tory's moaning in "The Great Gig in The Sky". The original stereo mix & the 5.1 SACD mix are a composite of several of Ms.Tory's attempts, while the SQ mix(by Alan Parsons' own admission) doesn't get it right, apparently using one vocal take in its' entirety.

21. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

another way...
    in SQ(and Parson's mix) the arise airplane in the end of "On The Run" have fast changes between channels, in the stereo version is fixed in one channel.(right channel! ?? )

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have the SQ quad version on a DVD-A; the version on the redbook layer of the SACD is not the quad version. Period. This is simply an internet myth.

23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Dosen't a redbook CD that contains a quad matrix soundtrack have to be DTS encoded?

24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The thread title needs to be changed, as it has been found to be incorrect.

25. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

ok, let me tell something more and ask.
    i have Alan parson's DVD-A that have DTS and AC3 (4.1).
    the MFSL cd and vinyl(stereo), Hybrid SACD(stereo, 5.1), old SQ Vinyl(4.0 full of noises, too old), 30th Anniversary Edition 180g vinyl(stereo, and i upsample to DVD-A 5.1) and some more cds and vinyls standards of stereo versions.
    i don't have quad mix in cd and don't know if exist.
    if exist, anyone have links to show me please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.