Beatles Mono Box - best way to listen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by imarcq, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley... Thread Starter

This may seem like a really obvious question but when this mono box finally arrives they will be the first mono CD's I have ever played! I have a nice old HK 330B which I love to death. Do I have to hit the 'Mono' switch every time I play these or doesn't it matter? I think if they were on vinyl I would probably benefit from a mono cartridge - but as its on CD whats the best way to go? :confused:

2. jfp11801

jfp11801 Forum Resident

just listen the same as you do normally the image will appear dead center with the same information coming out of both channels

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You listen to mono sources just like you do with stereo. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Please move this to the regular Beatles remasters thread.

5. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Those that are saying to listen in the same manner do not know what they are talking about. A friend has a mono switch on his phono pre. When I listen to a mono record with the switch off, it sounds okay but you can hear that it is coming from the two speakers with a hole in the middle of the soundstage. When I hit the mono button, the hole in the middle is suddenly filled and there is a complete soundstage- it is a huge difference. I would not have believed it if I had not experienced it myself. I don't see why it would be different for a cd.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

It wouldn't be, but not all equipment these days has a mono button either!

7. imarcq

No probs. Please move if necessary - I just thought it was a slightly wider question so I didn't post it in the main Beatles Remasters thread.

It's not hard to comprehend - I'm not a complete idiot :) Just had what I thought was a valid question. I have no idea how best to listen to mono. I don't have anything in mono at all. Sorry If my question offended you :(

8. Macman

Macman Senior Member

It was a perfectly valid question, especially for someone who has never experienced mono. There are a lot of cranky people around here these days. Kind of like my kids used to get before Christmas. :)

9. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Ah....the best way to listen, I'd have to say with awe and amazement that we have all been so lucky as to still take part in Beatlemania. It's a great time to be alive!

10. imarcq

Thanks Macman/Let him run

Oh well its bedtime here in Oz. I'll leave you guys to battle it out! I'm off for some mono dreams...Zzzzzz Do you dream in mono? Uh-oh......Nite :)

11. Grant

We are talking about digital, properly mastered CDs. There is no need to use that mono button. My god! What do you guys do when you play a CD with both stereo and mono mixes on the same CD? Geez! Just play the CD!

12. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

What does the mono button do?

13. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

I press both buttons. Obviously! :rolleyes:

14. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Sums the left and right channel.

As these cds are done from a full track mono head there's no need to engage the mono button - already summed.

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

It combines both channels. Use it when you play vinyl, but no need when using digital.

Do a search. Lots of threads about this.

16. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

My God! The OP had a valid question. Some people have lives and don't have time to read every thread in the archives. Geez!

17. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

It simply combines the left & right channels. For mono vinyl it helps because it cancels out some noise from using a stereo stylus. For a mono CD it is not necessary.

18. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Exactly. So if the left and right channels are identical to begin with, it will do... nothing.

19. Raylinds

I would think that would also be true for mono LPs as well, but I don't know for sure.

20. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

If you have never played a mono CD, and if the only reason you're about to listen to one for the first time is because this is the Beatles, then I have doubts about whether you will enjoy the experience. I think a lot of younger folks are shelling out big big bucks for the mono boxset without really knowing what they are doing. The plus side is that there may be a lot of "extra" sealed sets which will go up for sale. If you younger folks buy this set and end up not enjoying it, and acknowledge that fact on this forum, then I think when it comes time to sell your extra sealed copies you should not over-price them.

21. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

:agree: Because with just one 'pole face ' that's all that was read from the tape so no phasiness, splices heard crossing the left and right channels etc.
    You see that was the significance of what Allan Rouse said.

22. Grant

But, it's not rocket science. Candy has already said what it is.

23. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

It can vary because all too often they play a mono tape on a stereo tape machine. Mainly it's better to use the mono button with them but just try it and see.

24. Raylinds

This makes sense. I experienced a dramatic difference, but to be honest it was only with one LP, so it very well be that this record was mastered on a stereo tape deck.

25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Friendly reminder from the post we're all supposed to read before joining here:

Don't be afraid to ask questions about music or equipment. No question is too dumb; it's how we learn. I think you will find our members are bright, passionate, articulate and intense about what they love (as they should be).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.