Jethro Tull - Aqualung, Clarity Vinyl 200G 45 RPM, 4 Disc Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VinylNutz, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member Thread Starter

Just noticed this on the Classic Records website to be released September 11th:thumbsup::

JETHRO TULL
    AQUALUNG - 1971 saw the release of some of the greatest pop/rock albums of all time. Imagine, Pearl, Sticky Fingers, Who’s Next, Tupelo Honey, Surf’s Up, Fragile, Led Zep’s IV, Muswell Hillbillies, Tapestry, What’s Going On? and both Madman Across the Water and Tumbleweed Connection are just some of the iconic titles that hit the stores that year. Add Aqualung and that’s quite an output for a twelve month span. Generally considered the pinnacle of the band’s recorded output, front-man Ian Anderson’s songwriting was quickly evolving from British folk-blues roots and helping define prog-rock. While definitely pushing the envelope for the era in taking on the subjects of God and organized religion, it was guitarist Martin Barre who was establishing equal ground with Anderson’s flute as an instrumental voice of the band. Joining Tull after Toni Iommi (Black Sabbath) who himself had replaced original guitarist Mick Abrahams (Blodwyn Pig, Mick Abrahams Band) departed after only a few days, both Barre’s opening riffs and lead breaks became indelibly imprinted to generations of classic rock. Songs such as My God, Hymn 43, Locomotive Breath, Cross-Eyed Mary, Wind Up and of course the title tune became FM radio staples and are in-demand concert favorites to this day. The Classic Records reissue of Aqualung was cut from the original analog master tapes obtained from Ian Anderson on Classic's "all tube" cutting system by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman mastering. This version features, for the first time since the original Chrysalis release, an authentic faux linen textured gatefold jacket and original label art. Now Available on 45rpm as a Four Disc Box Set, pressed on Classic’s Clarity 200g Super Vinyl Profile this will be the definitive version - period!

Production notes:
    Clarity Vinyl represents the ultimate in vinyl formulations because it is comprised of over 90% percentage of the highest quality co-polymer available - a key component in vinyl pellets used for manufacturing vinyl records. Further, Clarity Vinyl has no carbon black additive, common in vinyl formulas for LP’s. Carbon Black contains trace metals that become magnetized and cause “electrical distortions” in cartridges during playback that smears the sound. By taking out the Carbon Black, Classic Records is able to dramatically reduce the “electrical distortions” and thus bring more “Clarity” to the playback process, providing a more realistic musical experience to the listener and LP enthusiast.

2. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

I'll be picking this one up, I really like their 33 rpm version.

3. Jim Ferris

Jim Ferris Banned

I may pick this up although I'm quite happy with my 33 version.

4. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

If there is anywhere near the difference that Classic's version of Bridge Over Troubled Water had between their 33 RPM and 45 RPM versions I will be getting this.

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I was so sickened by the DCC I just bought off eBay arriving dished like a salad bowl thanks to our post office, that I may buy this to put the bad taste out of my mouth.

6. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Oh boy,just when I thought iwas done with this album

7. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Ouch!
    IMO: My DCC beat my Classic 200g in a shootout. The Classic may have slightly better resolution (which will probably improve with the 45rpm version), but the DCC had better tone and dynamics. The sound of the Classic sounded a bit "white" compared to the more natural tone of the DCC (recognizing that there isn't much natural about this album in any event). Both of them sounded better than the originals, so if you don't want to pay for the DCC (which is quite expensive) the Classic is an excellent alternative.

8. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

:agree:

9. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Thank's to friends. I must say I hear it that way. Exactly.

10. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Damn, I may have to pick this up as well. When will the madness end?

11. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member Thread Starter

I'll be getting this one two. I love the 12 inch 45 rpm sound :righton:(but hate the fuss and expense:shake:).

12. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

And so... what is the verdict on the new Classic Records 45 RPM issue?

13. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

I don't think it has been released yet, has it? Elusive disc is showing it as an October release.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRLP9145-45QPC

I've been trying to cut back lately on the vinyl buying, but this is one of those albums that I listen to enough I can justify the hefty price tag. Still, I'll wait for a few reviews around here first.

14. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Thanks for the follow up.
    I guess I should have read more posts, I missed the later release date.

15. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

Themusic.com shows it for sale, I suspect the major online stores will receive this in the next week or so. I'm going to call Elusive Disc tomorrow for an ETA, as I want to get that Velvet Underground singles box set but want both items shipped together.

16. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Got mine yesterday in the mail from AS.

I'm very happy with the sound although I didn't stop to do comparisons with Classic's previous version or Steve's gold.

I wish I had all my favorite vinyl in this format

17. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

How is the quality of the record pressings?

18. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Absolutely quiet, until you reach the runout.
    The material they use still seems wierd to me, also these are all one-sided something I've only seen on 78's

There have been lots of complaints on this forum about noise with Classic pressings but I don't agree, I've got many of their pressings and they all sound good to me.

19. Jack

Jack Senior Member

anyone have photos to post of the package, records etc??

20. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

I am amazed by the amount of audiophile attention this title gets as I see it as a rather low-fi recording.

21. Fatman

Fatman Senior Member

I suspect that because it's relatively low-fi is part of the reason it gets so much attention - trying to polish a turd, so to speak. Of course it being one of the greatest rock-n-roll albums of all time helps too. I just wish they could make it sound good (like the 200g 33rpm Classic) and give the low-end a kick in the ***.

22. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I got my copy today, and it not that quiet. Quite a few ticks and pops. A cursory cleaning with a record brush and some fluid helped, but mine copy doesn't seem to be as quiet as you indicate yours to be.

I think the package is beautiful. The vinyl is nice to look at and the one sided pressings are cool. The flip side of each disc has the classic logos impressed in the vinyl

As to the sound, it sounds good and has a very nice "clarity" (pun not intended) to the presentation. I also have the Classic 33rpm and the DCC Gold disc (among other version of this album). I didn't do any comparisons, but I liked what I heard on this nice 45rpm package.

23. MikeT

Here you go:

Attached Files:

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

25. MikeT

Yeah, right after playing the Tull 45rpm vinyl, I played my new copy of the new Pearl Jam on vinyl and it was DEAD quiet!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.