Rolling Stones Singles Collection - The London Years question!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member Thread Starter

is this a must own? if so why? I am talking about the original 1989 version!

2. EveryLittleThing

EveryLittleThing New Member

If you want the uncensored "The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man," then yes. IIRC it's the only place that version has ever appeared on CD. The only other rarity is the US single edit of "Tell Me," but that was on the "Singles 1963-1965" box set also.

Soundwise, it's... not that impressive (not as good as the earlier London CDs or even the later ABKCO remasters), and I've read here that some of the tracks aren't the single versions.

3. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Here's a thread to get you started..

Rolling Stones 1989 Singles Collection

Bottom line is that here are some differences between the 1989 and 2002 versions of the set. To me, one or the other is necessary for the many mono versions of the early Stones singles.

4. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

It has the "Time Is On My Side" from 12X5 instead of the single with the twangy guitar intro--that's always irritated me for some reason. Great collection otherwise.

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The 1989 Singles Collection is the only official CD release that contains the true mono mix of "Ruby Tuesday".

All Down The Line and SOONERFAN like this.
  6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The twangy guitar version was NOT the single. The organ version from 12X5 was the single. Stop being irritated.

7. street legal

street legal Senior Member

So the single AND the album version were the one with the organ intro? :confused:

Where did the guitar intro version initially appear?

8. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

How does one visually identify the '89 version?

9. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I own both versions (original and SACD hybrid).

Listening to the Stones develop through their singles is fascinating. Kind of a Rolling Stones "Cliff Notes" listening session.

Ken

All Down The Line likes this.
  10. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Rolling Stones no. 2 in the UK
    Big Hits (High Tides and Green Grass) in the US

11. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Really? I never knew that ....... huh. I had always thought that the guitar intro version was the single version. Now I know. :) Thanks!

12. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

The '89 version came in either a 12"X12" box, or in a fatboy jewel case. The 2002 version is in a foldout digipak.

13. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

Are there any mix differences between the 1989 vinyl release and the 1989 CD release of this set?

14. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Okay, that sounds simple. I own the SACDs -- I guess in the back of my head I was wondering if there was something between the '89s and the SACDs/DSDs that would be different and fake me out.

15. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member Thread Starter

yep i have 12"X12" box ! and the reason i asked is because i have not listened to it in many years so i was wondering if its worth keeping or not!

16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

My copy of Forty Licks has "Ruby Tuesday" in mono. Is that a fold-down?

17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Why did I ask that? I know it's not a fold-down. Must be all of the Beatles talk.

Anyway, Forty Licks has a true mono "Ruby Tuesday".

18. EveryLittleThing

The version of "Ruby Tuesday" on Forty Licks isn't the original mix. It's the version ABKCO used on all their DSD remasters, which is missing some backing vocals in the chorus.

19. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Ha, when the SACDs came out, I gifted the 89 CDs to a friend of mine who didn't have any of it and kept the big 12x12 box (it DOES look cooler than that SACD digpak!)

Now I'm afraid to go ask for them back... :sigh:

20. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

I have the 12"x12" box and have always found it a bit hard on the ears. I regret not buying the SACDs when they came out.

21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Also, does anyone have a comparison on how these sets line up in terms of versions with those CD single box sets?

22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I actually like that version, which is weird, because I never liked the song much before.

23. EveryLittleThing

The "Singles 1963-1965" box has the short "Tell Me," which is not on the ABKCO remaster (that uses the US album edit, 3:43 in length or thereabouts). It's also worth having because it's the only time the complete "Got Live If You Want It" EP (not to be confused with the LP that came out in 1966) has appeared on an official CD.

Version-wise, it seems to use all the mono mixes that the remastered set has. It definitely sounds better than the 1989 version.

I never got around to buying the other two boxes, though, so I can't help you there. Sorry!

bhazen likes this.
  24. EveryLittleThing

Heh, no worries!

This FAQ is pretty much the best resource at the moment for figuring out a lot of the differences, but unfortunately it's more than a bit out-of-date and incomplete:

http://www.lukpac.org/stereostones/stones-cd-faq.txt

Put together by a couple of forumers who know their stuff.

25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Isn't the ROLLED GOLD version the proper single mix?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.