It's Official! The Beatles Remasters Thread (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member Thread Starter

2. godonnygo

godonnygo New Member

I had a question about the cuales fm clips (which are no longer there). The ones on Amazon at the moment (after the podcast with Rouse) sound pretty bad, maybe 64kb/s, but the cuales ones sounded half-decent - what bit rate were they?

3. SgtMacca

SgtMacca New Member

mp3 320kbps

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! 15! I would guess this will be the last thread before the big day!

5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Thanks for those waveforms, they look pretty good. Certainly no great loss of dynamics on these :agree:

6. smorrissey

smorrissey New Member

Could you please tell me which software was used to get those waveforms?

7. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I bet we hit 20 by the stroke of midnight on 9/9.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Listening now. Sounds like the '86 mix to me. Vocals panned in slightly, a bit more reverb. For Drive My Car anyway.

9. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

I grabbed the mp3 clips from Firefox's cache, opened them in Audacity and combined them into one file.

Higher resolution image for those that want to see it:

Please Please Me - I Saw Her Standing There, Misery, Boys, Please Please Me, Love Me Do
    Beatles For Sale - No Reply, Baby's in Black, Rock 'n' Roll Music, I'll Follow the Sun, Eight Days a Week
    Abbey Road - Come Together, Oh! Darling, I Want You (She's So Heavy), Here Comes the Sun, Because

[​IMG]

No, it was 24 bit/96 kHz FLAC.

10. smorrissey

smorrissey New Member

i protest i didn't write this subatomic: :shake:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smorrissey
    I don't understand. Why wouldn't that "something" transfer to CD when you are talking about how good your LP dub is? That transferred to CD did it not?

Thanks for the info.

rock and roll music is louder.

11. subatomic09

Sorry, fixed.

12. smorrissey

smorrissey New Member

13. subatomic09

I've never seen that tool before, but I'm going to check it out. Thanks!

I use Audacity for simple wave editing, like combining those Beatles clips into one file or creating mp3 ringtones for me and my friends, moreso than judging the quality of a CD. I do enjoy checking out the waveform for my favorite albums/songs out of sheer curiosity, but I'm no expert.

14. smorrissey

smorrissey New Member

Man its not available for download for free i you can't find it let me know. Latest version is 1.4 i guess.

I don't get this:

There's nothing inherently wrong with limiting or making a CD loud enough to hear. As someone with a lot more knowledge than me said the other day, if studio recordings weren't limited at all, many of them would be too quiet to hear. You have to reign in the transient peaks a little.

Yes, it seems that the remastering team has opted to limit the stereo releases purely to compete with current music trends, but if the cuales.fm clips are to be believed (and I do believe them), they have not brickwalled

Why are we talking about limiting? it shouldn't be the other way unlimiting? = more louder?

15. subatomic09

I'm no expert, so defer to someone with more knowledge then me. But as I understand it, limiting, in the context of mastering, means that when the peaks of a recording hit a predetermined threshold, they are not allowed to exceed it. They are limited at that value, so to speak. This is done so that you can increase the volume of the recording without those peaks causing distortion or audible clipping. In a sense, limiting also reduces the dynamic range of a recording, although the concept of reducing dynamic range more appropriately applies to compression.

16. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Dunno. Part 14 opened on the 20th and closed on the 25th.:)

17. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Betcha we hit 20 by 9-9-09! :laugh:

18. I have a tube cut of 'Beatles For Sale' and also a rather stunning German 'Pepper' and
    I seriously doubt that these new cds will beat either of those pressings simply because
    the cd sampling rate is too low.

However, if at some point EMI decides to release these same remasters at
    96khz/24bit resolution either on SACD/BluRay or DVD-A then the lps won't stand a chance.

It seems that the limiting and eq (as well as noise removal) has been fantastically
    subtle and these remastered discs will satisfy 99% of the people who hear them.

19. SgtMacca

SgtMacca New Member

I bet for part 17 on 09/09

20. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I thought George Martin was brought into the project late in the day in the 80s, and thus his work was pretty rushed. If so, surely he didn't remix Help! and Rubber Soul until 1987.

21. matte76

matte76 Member

Those waveforms actually look very good, much better than I thought :righton:

22. They look a lot better than most non-audiophile masters released these days.

23. aaron313

aaron313 Member

Would it not be extraordinarily easy to release a high resolution version of these new masters? I'm not familiar with the typical time between mastering and packaging/release, but wouldn't it be possible to see a Holiday release of 24/96? Maybe... Halloween?

24. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

It's possible, but it'll never happen that soon. Apple seems to move at a turtle's pace.

25. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

We in the UK don't really see Halloween as an Holiday, and don't celebrate it like you Guys do, maybe for a Christmas release that would be the next big holiday!:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.