New book about the music industry

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jazzis, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident Thread Starter

JONES, GRAHAM ~ LAST SHOP STANDING: A JURNEY THROUGH AN INDUSTRY IN TURMOIL

PROPER ~ 978-0-9561-2120-2 ~ 2009 ~ English ~ New

Music Industry / History & Criticism

A fascinating account of the collapsing music retail business in the UK, written by a man who worked in the field for decades. Jones describes the music business in general and the UK retail music scene in particular based on his personal experience, but also analyzes the reasons that brought both the industry and the retail to its knees. Full of humor and anecdotes, the book nevertheless presents a serious viewpoint and touches upon the core problems of the music industry over the years, presenting an unusual personal angle of dozens of shop owners around the UK. The fact that from about 1000 independent record shops existing in the UK in 2003 the number went down to less than a 100 in 2008 speaks for itself, and the author tries to explain what and why this happened. As someone who worked in the industry even longer than the author, this book is in many respects a mirror of my own experiences. Anybody concerned with the state of the music industry and music scene in general should find this book educational and entertaining.

See my books collection here:

http://www.adambaruch.com/books.asp

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yes, B&M vinyl hunting in the UK has went they way of the dodo. :sigh:

3. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident Thread Starter

True....

The book does have a list of the ones that are still around (many carry vinyl) and it is recent.

4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Thanks Adam, I will check that book out, looks very interesting.

Tom

5. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks! for the post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.