Post Your Needledrops, Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by -Alan, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member Thread Starter

2. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

3. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

4. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

thanks
    Pro-ject Expression turntable with Sumiko blue point #2 -> Parasound Halo P3 Preamp -> PreSonus Inspire 1394 ADC -> MacBook Pro running Sound Studio 3 (24bit/ 96k)

5. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Thanks, had to be a quality setup and well done. I liked the highs which are clear without being too bright.

6. haas

haas Forum Resident

7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

buddy rich from the direct to disc lp class of 78 doing weather report's birdland. great record. a few crackles here and there but it's buddy like he's in the room! this is the whole track by the way.

micro seiki dd 40 turntable w/ grado cartridge ( don't know the model ) >
    GAS thoebe preamp > 24/96 m-audio transit > usb > cool edit pro > wave at 16/44

http://www.sendspace.com/file/skd55u

8. lovejoy

lovejoy New Member

I've been meaning to get this uploaded for quite some time. This is from one of my favourite purchases of 2008 - Frederick Stanley Starr's Heaviside Layer. Lovely vinyl apart from being rather noisy - I've not declicked it as it's not TOO bad. But this is my favourite track from it. Hope you like.

Recorded from a Well Tempered Classic V turntable with an Audio Technica AT33PTG cart, into a Eurekon Concept MC003 phono stage and into a Macbook Pro. Recorded initially in 32-bit/44.1KHz and downsampled to 16-bit and converted to AAC. This was a bit of an experiment in whether compressing recordings in this way was acceptable. I would say yes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c7ba9c0d54b0b06ae7ba8e3c6e11ce207e922c4fd2ff1012c95965eaa7bc68bc

9. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

10. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

11. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Nice work all! This one's my mom's, from Charles Aznavour's '69 album called désormais ... (Barclay 80398). Survived cheap ceramic carts almost unscathed (flexy vinyl, maybe that helped). The sole Paul Mauriat arranged track in 24/48 FLAC: http://www.sendspace.com/file/p3i4z0

Sansui SR-222MKIV with Audio Technica AT430E/OCC into Cambridge Audio 540P, modded with 22pF cap./36k res./44dB gain.

12. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

13. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

More (French) retro:

Artist: Nana Mouskouri
    Album: Que je sois un ange...
    Label: Philips 9101 007
    Year: 1974

Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6t5zvb

You'll recognize the tune, I'm sure. These 70's French pressings are impressive.

14. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

sounds great Herman, thanks

15. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

Last night I received a *super* warped copy of the Breakfast Club soundtrack - the needle could barely drop into the groove before the first note of this sound clip. I was ready to toss the record in the garbage but it just sounds so clean. I have it pressed tightly (vertically) in my collection shelves now. Hoping it will even out some. Hard to throw out something that sounds like this:

http://rudys.net/vinylrip/BreakfastClubClip.m4a

16. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

High intensity Simple Minds, bokonon :thumbsup:

I don't have any *super* warped ones, but when there's one that bothers me I lay it flat on top of my receiver (which is normally on all the time and quite uniformly warm). With a weight placed on the label (and laying in the sense that counteracts the warp of course), I've had some success like that.

17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It's been awhile since I've posted anything so I thought on this weekend when so many are waiting impatiently for their Beatles remasters that I'd throw up a sample of a needledrop I've been working on.

Here's a sample from side 1 of a great mint UK stereo copy of Beatles For Sale I picked up awhile ago. It's one of the Harry T Moss-cut late-70's/early 80's reissues. The only thing I've done is very light clickrepair and then a bass boost of 2.5dB below 250Hz using a low shelf to try and counteract the bass cut done back in the day. Enjoy!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v0oad1

18. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Sounds smooth, Stefan.

A little sample by Steve Gadd. Straight transfer with my above mentioned setup.

From a Dutch pressing of The Gadd Gang (CBS Haarlem plant). A 1986 digital recording (SONY 3324 Digital Recorder).

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Nice to see this thread is still alive! I'm blocked from downloading at work but I'll check it out when I get home.

Yes, the Beatles sample sounds good to me. I was happy to note that the remastered 2009 CD of Beatles For Sale sounds very close to the vinyl version. I love the big soundstage on No Reply (although it sounds kind wonky how it disappears at times), and the vocal harmonises on I'll Follow the Sun sound tremendous!

20. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Yes, I wish more members would post samples here, there's only so much I can do with a 25 y.o. budget deck and cart. I find myself having to go elsewhere to get a taste of high-end. Straight transfers without post-processing would be fine, just to get a feel for their different setups and equipment.

21. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Indeed. I'll put a shout out in the thread about needledrop equipment that's going on right now.

I just checked out your Steve Gadd sample. It sounds tremendous! I love some of those 80's digital recordings where the folks involved were trying to achieve great sound and before things like maximizers, and all other sorts of digital processing came along. Mind you, once they poured on huge gobs of Lexicon reverb, it got crazy, and of course, cranked the compressors, it got nasty. Ah well... lots of 80's pressings out there in great shape. I find myself buying more and more of them lately.

22. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Thanks, Stefan. I agree, a top-notch analog recording would probably sound better, but you can still sense they were trying to do something right in those early digital days, both with CD and vinyl.

23. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

I needle-drop most of my vinyl purchases if only for preservation - disk space is cheap. I usually do not do any post processing (i can always do that later if I want) and I usually keep it to 1 file a side at 24bit/96khz. I think the 1file/side really appeals to me as listening to it at work later on gives me more of a vinyl simulation :)

I would love to hear more of people's needledrops, and less discussion about Post Processing ;-p but thats just me. Am glad to hear other people into it regardless.

24. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Ok, Stefan motivated me.

This is a short clip from this album. The song title is "Life So Cruel". The Renaissance CD has some serious issues, like someone went wild with the NoNoise, so I've spent a little time trying to find a clean vinyl copy of this one.

Anyway, my rig:

Rega P3
    Shelter 201
    Bellari VP129 (with NOS USA Tung-Sol 12AX7A)
    M-Audio ProFire 610

Captured at 192kHz/24bit (using Peak Pro 6)
    Downsampled to 44kHz using Audiofile Engineering Sample Manager (izotope SRC)
    Dithered to 16 bits using Audiofile Engineering Wave Editor (MBIT+ Ultra)

25. mozpiano2

mozpiano2 Forum Resident

Could anyone do some needle drops of any type of classical music? Would be interesting to hear

Rudolf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.