Audiophiles, is there a transient attack in any Beatles' song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I don't think I've ever heard one honest transient peak in any Beatles recording, ever. Actually, nothing recorded at No. 2 Studio at Abbey Road ever had one. Was it the gear? The recording technique? Were the transients "killed" going through the console at the start or later?

Did I miss one somewhere? One dynamic peak that slipped out unnoticed? I did hear a BUNCH when I played the original three-track of the Beatles Hollywood Bowl recordings but they vanished on the released version. Both the Pete Abbott and Hugh Davies unedited recordings were pretty amazing in that department (while being raw in most others).

I need an example of just ONE to win a bet..

Transient - The leading edge of a percussive sound. Good transient response makes the sound as a whole more live and realistic.

Attack - The leading edge of a note and the ability of a system to reproduce the attack transients in music.

http://www.frednmich.net/bits/2008/01/audiophile.php

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

This is highly subjective, is it not? Or will the waveform chart boffins be able to solve this puzzle with a graphic?

Is this an oblique reference to a general policy of limiting at No. 2? Or, do Beatles recordings all sound 'soft' in the transient department?

3. Key

Key New Member

Yeah, what exactly are you looking for? A snapping snare? Or are you looking for peak levels?

4. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

First one that came to mind was the initial tom/snare thump on "Revolution"..the single version.

5. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Try "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey".

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

"I'm Down" off past masters

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Somehow I also thought about this song. But now I'll try to play DVD-A version from "Love"... :shh:

But, IMO, overall sound design of those years wasn't realistic enough, or, maybe, their monitors weren't. After all, even nowadays some speakers/headphones do transient fairly good and other not so good.

8. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Here is a waveform of I'm Down from the Singles box set.

Attached Files:

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I think Steve's looking for an event with a high-amplitude, instantaneous rise time.

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The hard drum hits in "Any Time At All"?

nowhereman87 likes this.
  11. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

The "I saw the light".. part in "No Reply"?

12. xios

xios Senior Member

I always liked the snare drum snap in the stereo "Blue Jay Way".

13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

First thing I thought about!

14. Key

Key New Member

Well for me I like the drums on The Walrus - sounds like all attack to me but I am just going from memory. But those drums seem really lo fi from all the dumping - which added a character to them imo.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

None of the songs mentioned have anything like what I am looking for (see above quote..) They SHOULD but they don't. They are missing their transients.

Taxman likes this.
  16. Key

Key New Member

The piano crash at the end of Sgt Pepper - If you consider piano-forte a percussion instrument this works haha.

17. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

The anvil on Maxwell's Silver Hammer?

18. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Well, compression was used on pop music as a necessity to be able to fit the dynamics of live instruments to the 40db to 60db or so dynamic range of vinyl and tape. Now it is used to cause eardrum bleeding...Just the compression used in recording and mixing alone even before the final mastering process radically affects transients.

Technically, the transients are there, its just that they have been "compressed" into hiding - not standing out as they would live, in person.

Most of The Beatles early stuff was heavily compressed. The later stuff a bit less so.

Steve, as far as this discussion and winning the bet....how much of a peak (in decibels) qualifes as a transient??

BTW, is this thread a subtle way to point out that the lack of dynamic range in the Beatles recordings should be noted so that we can keep these new rermasters in realistic context? However, this is an interesting question.

19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

The "THUNK"-chord just before ´Her Majesty´?

20. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

It´s not an instrumental peak, but maybe John´s final scream in "I want you (She´s so heavy)" qualifies for this, although one might argue that it was left distorted intentionally.

21. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Un-Beatle fan here - would The Inner Light qualify?

22. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

That's what came to mind for me. It's probably too compressed to qualify though.:)

23. Key

Key New Member

Really anything from them is probably compressed a little. Even if not I bet they tried to play the intruments with uniform dynamics. I think I read Emerick say one of his favorite uses for a compressor was altering the character of the attack.

24. william shears

william shears Senior Member

The percussive edge of Johns rhythm guitar on 'Cry For A Shadow' and the pick hitting Georges strings as he digs out the tune. But Johns guitar sound 'real'...

25. lemonjello

lemonjello Forum Resident

That is like finding a needle in a haystack for sure. If there is one, I'd bet it would be on the Get Back/Don't Let Me Down single, recorded and mixed by Glyn Johns at Apple and Olympic respectively. I don't think that'll help you win.

The reason it'll be hard to find one is that every drum track (of The Beatles) recorded at Abbey Road was run through the Altec compressor on the way to the four track, and again when it was mixed. To make it worse, if the four track was bounced to another four track, the engineers left the compressor plugged in, so the signal would hit the compressor AGAIN. Multiple times in a case like Penny Lane or Hello Goodbye (songs that received the most multi-track bounces).

So I'd say if your looking for one, I certainly wouldn't waste time with stuff recorded with Geoff or Norman. You may have a chance with Ken Scott's work of the Let It Be mixes by Peter Bown.

Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.