New Prince SHM-CD editions - sound quality?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paisleyhead, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paisleyhead

Paisleyhead New Member Thread Starter

I know there was a thread on this a few weeks ago I think but it seems to have "stalled" so I decided to make a new thread about this.
    I haven't noticed any comments here about the sound quality of these new releases.. to be clear what I'm talking about, Warner Music Japan released this month the first 10 Prince albums on the SHM-CD format in mini-LP packaging. Here's a list of the CDs released: http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss_m?__mk_ja_JP=%83J%83%5E%83J%83i&url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=prince+shm

I have seen discussions about the sound quality on prince.org, an unofficial fansite. There is even a discussion featuring pictures of waveforms from the original CD and the new SHM-CD. Since I don't know how to post the picture from there I'll just link to the discussion there: http://prince.org/msg/7/314720

There seems to be some disagreement whether the CDs sound different from the regular editions but looking at the waveform the volume at least seems boosted, not as boosted as on the Ultimate compilation though. There also might have been some tweaking (EQ, compression?) done to it. There's at least one detailed review on the fan site where the person has compared the different editions and according to the review the sound is noticably improved on all CDs, but 1999 seems to have the least difference in sound quality. That review can be found here: http://prince.org/msg/7/309365?&pg=4

So I'm asking if anyone here has any of those Prince SHM CDs and do they sound better? I have already ordered three CDs (1999, Purple Rain, Sign O' The Times) from the series based on the positive reviews on prince.org but I'm curious if the audiophiles over here notice any difference in sound quality because the folks posting at the Org are probably buying those CDs more for the cool packaging than the "remastered" sound.

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I looked at those waveforms, and it confirms what I've seen with other releases. The "SHM" CD's are tweaked - because of this, there is no way to say whether the SHM technology has any impact on the sound. My guess is that it does not.

If the discs have just been made louder, then the sound quality should be unaffected. If they really have been EQ tweaked, then only listening will reveal a "better" version as it is essentially a new mastering.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I purchased a few of these discs, but have yet to listen. I got "Controversy", "1999", "Purple Rain", "Sign of the Times" and "Around the World in a Day". The packaging is real nice (as these are mini-lp replicas) - I assume the sound will be the usual (at least from what I find) slight increase in resolution and focus that I have found many SHM-CDs have over non SHM-CDs (albeit the difference can be subtle).

4. moops

moops Senior Member

Hey,

Can anyone else out there shed some light on how these sound ? I've checked the links above and really are a little confused as to whether it is worth the $$. Has anyone purchased any of these SHM-CDS ?

5. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

I picked up Sign O the Times. Sounds great but I never had the original CD so can't compare. It's not as nice as the vinyl but I can't fault it either. However, the packaging is superb. Perfect LP replica, right down to the sticker (as an insert - not stuck on) and original fan club flier. I was thinking of getting more but like you, I'm waiting for more feedback.

6. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

any update on the sound quality - am thinking of an order. And has anyone seen a promo Disk Union box for these?

7. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

I have all of 'em. These were my first Prince discs ever, since I'd been holding out for remasters for years, and figured this would probably be the best I would get for years to come yet.

Waveforms look good all the way up to "Lovesexy". Was it a loud CD even in 1988? Here's a look at the waveform for "Alphabet St.":

Attached Files:

8. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

No, it was nowhere near as loud as your CD... Check out the waveform below for the whole Lovesexy CD, Alphabet St. starts roughly 5 minutes in.

Attached Files:

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yeah, that increase in resolution makes these SHMs sound kind of weird, even if it is the same mastering as the normal CD. You may like it, or you may not. If it is actually remastered it should say so on the Mini lp sleeve. It will have the year of the mastering being used, regardless of when the Mini lp came out.

10. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Thanks guys

11. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

I've seen comparisons of the log files showing the difference in peak volume. The SHN are definitely louder. Going to pick one up to see if it stays in sync with the older issue - my guess is that it will, and these are just tweaked versions of the already-existing CD masters, and not a new transfer.

12. hdtv00

hdtv00 New Member

Anyone have any more thoughts or input in quality of these. I'm half tempted but the one I really want is Sign O The Times which will run me a pretty penny. Not sure I buy into the whole better plastic so it sounds better thing but I'm open about it. I have never stopped listening to these early cd's don't have vinyl of most although I have about 20 Lp's of varies stuff.

Anyway looking for any new input on these and how they sound. Clearly the case and inserts are sweet as all hell.

13. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

Hi guys, is there any more advice/reviews on these?

Thanks

14. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Well, I picked up Purple Rain SHM from Amazon last week and it sounds phenomenal on my system. Definitely a little louder but I think the crispness on the SHM works to the advantage (rather than dentriment) of the sound on this CD. I love it.

I do own the originals of Dirty Mind, Controversy, Parade, Around the World in A Day, Sign of the Times, and (arriving today) Lovesexy. I think the only album that sounds really bad out of the originals is Sign of The Times, which is unfortunate because outside of Purple Rain thats my favorite -- I haven't heard the SHM but I've seen comments indicating that it sounds much better than the original, as in night and day, and that I can believe. The 2009 SHM for SoTT, now seemingly OOP, is getting harder and harder to track down. Most of the Japanese online sites even list it as out-of-stock now. You'll see copies on Ebay for $70 or so but there aren't too many. Out of desperation (last week), I located its product page on Borders (as I had a 30%off coupon and $25 gift card) and went ahead and ordered (it cost me $27 after the discounts with tax/shipping). It stated: ships in 4-8 weeks, so I'm just crossing my fingers but not getting my hopes too high because I could easily see them canceling my order due to no supply.

15. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Bump! These missed my radar. What the latest on these? :)

16. Norm Apter

17. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

There is NO Disk Union box for these titles.

I still have about 5 for sale so if you're interested please email me at [email protected]

18. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I was thinking about picking up "Dirty Mind" to test the waters. Anyone have this?

19. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I broke down last week and bought all of them (still waiting for "Lovesexy"). I do agree that most are an improvement, though it may be a matter of taste (and gear). They are a bit louder, but the dynamic range has not been affected by this. They are "punchier" (which I like) and everything seems to have come a bit more to the front (if that makes any sense), is a bit more present. "Dirty Mind" has been improved by this, though I think it still suffers a bit from its "sterile" sound (which has always bugged me).

I'm not sure I think these SHM CDs are an improvement for every album. Those that sounded good to begin with (Purple Rain, ATWIAD, Parade) have gotten a tiny bit "harsh" to me (I'm overly sensitive when it comes to treble), but others might not feel that way.

But when I look at them, they all are worth owning. I just love the mini vinyl look and every detail is there. Beautiful. That's one of the reasons I needed to have them and since they are becoming rare and expensive, I won't regret it.

Amazon.co.uk seems to have the best prices (low £) and I got most of those for around £16 there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=prince+shm&x=0&y=0

If there is any interest in short FLAC samples, I could upload some later in the day.

20. Norm Apter

I've picked up the ones from Purple Rain-ATWIAD-Parade-SoTT-Lovesexy. I think all are an improvement on the originals I own, especially SoTT and Lovesexy. Lovesexy used to bore me quite frankly, when I only had the original version. After listening to the SHM of Lovesexy, I became hooked. Its so lively (take, for example, the outro to "Glam Slam" which I never noted previously but now is an absolute sound-fest as well as Positivity which has really come alive, especially in that middle section where Prince calls on the chorus to sing). Now Lovesexy is my second or so favorite.

I though the original SoTT sounded muffled and dry. Of the originals I own, (I kept them), I think Parade has the best sound so the new one I find only a marginal improvement, just a little more accent on songs like "I Wonder You"

In sum, definitely personal taste as Wolfram mentions. I like my Prince really punchy, so I think these sound great across the board.

21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I bought all of them a year or so ago and think they sound quite nice. Definitely louder but they aren't brickwalled so to me they are the best available on disc until/if they are ever remastered properly.

22. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Bought Sign Of The Times last week.

The sound is rich, detailed and punchy. It is not brickwalled. It puts the previous CD version to shame and rivals the original UK double LP pressing for sound quality.

Am now tempted to get some more.

driverdrummer likes this.
  23. Norm Apter

Thanks for pointing this out to us. Actually, I really wish I knew about amazon.uk's holdings earlier. I bought every one from Purple Rain through Lovesexy from a German e-bayer who did an excellent job of shipping & handling (usually were here within a week), but I paid dearly, about $43 to $48 per title including shipping. And his prices were the generally the best. Some E-bayers have really jacked up the price

I decided I want to at least get all SHMs I'm missing back to Dirty Mind (i.e. Dirty Mind, Controversy, and 1999).

I just went on Amazon.uk and found a new copy of Dirty Mind for US$25 (including shipping to the U.S.) and Controversy for US$36 (including shipping to the U.S.).

For 1999, I did something I haven't done for any other SHM: I decided that a used/like new copy would suffice. I found one for about $15 plus shipping from a U.S. Amazon Marketplace seller. I had read somewhere, maybe prince.org, that the SHM of 1999 had the least improvement over the original. Maybe it was just a poor recording to begin with. Thus, I'm not quite as keen on forking over a large sum for it, but the curious part of me still wants to hear it.

Anyways, I absolutely love all of the Prince SHMs I've picked up thus far and am really looking forward to receiving the 3 I just ordered. But it seems that these are just going to get more expensive over time, so if you are a Prince fan it might be good to try at least one, just to see if you find the SHM sound appealing (certainly not all will agree with the positive assessment voiced by myself and few others who chimed in above). Of course I would love it if Warner Bros. & Prince reached some type of agreement on implementing a reissue program with genuine remastered discs but I'm not holding my breath on that one...

24. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks! for this information.

25. Norm Apter

They're so worth it. I mean Prince is worth it. Even at the slightly inflated prices I paid for the first 5 I picked up. His music really comes alive on these SHM versions. Take the live version of "Its Gonna Be a Beautiful Night" on Sign of The Times for example. You can crank it, because while they're louder they're not brickwalled and it just sounds magnificent, like you're right there a Prince concert ca. 1987.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.