any Led Zep projects in the works?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

There must be something . . the reunion DVD/CD, is that a possibility?

Any other shows from the archive?

That last release they did was really great.

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

In another thread recently, a poster mentioned that Jimmy Page had said he had "a project ready to go" (or something like that). I can't imagine it being too long before at least someone releases something "new". I thought Page, Jones and Bonham would at least do a instrumental album or something. Page is really picky, and maybe it was not good enough for him. Maybe they are still waiting (hoping) for Plant to change his mind.

3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

what the hell happened with the rumored 40th anniversary remasters? :shake:

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The last hint of any LZ-related project from people on the FBO mailing list who accurately predicted the 2007 reunion before it was announced was that there will definitely be a DVD release of the O2 show but not until at least next year. As for the individuals:

Jimmy Page told reporters at the "It Might Get Loud" film premiere in LA that he's taking a few months off and starting on a new project in December. He declined to say what it was.

John Paul Jones has reportedly been recording with David Grohl and Josh Homme in an LA studio. Homme's wife confirmed this recently to the press.

Robert Plant was rumored to have done some preliminary demo work in Nashville for a second album with Alison Krauss but she allegedly put a moratorium on any work with him for at least 18 months, as she suppoedly plans to do an album with Union Station and then tour with them.

Jason Bonham recently drummed for Slash and Friends at their Norway appearance.

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Well it was confirmed that they rehearsed with Alterbridge singer Myles Kennedy by Myles himself, and Page's manager said they were planning a new band, but then they changed their mind.

6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Nothing concrete was ever announced other than John Davis (Mothership) stating on here that he hoped to remaster the entire catalog from hires transfers of the master tapes in 2008. It's always looked to me as if after Plant announced last September that he wasn't going to tour with anybody for at least 2 years, they just took the Japanese SHM box set, had a bunch of non-SHMs pressed and sent it to the US as a "Definitive 40th anniversary box set." It's recycled 90's masters boosted (except for the 2007 TSRTS remix).

7. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I can`t believe the music on How The West was Won & the 2003 live dvd stayed unreleased for as long as it did.

.. . . ... . .. . .... . :)

8. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Page has said that there is a little musical hint about his new project within It Might Get Loud.

9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yes, there are apparently two snippets of new music by Page in the movie, listed in the credits as Embryo 1 and Embryo 2.

10. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Just about every 1973 show is available in good quality.... There's no shortage of material in the vaults.

11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

And by then, few will even care........

12. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I agree,my opinion is that all the interest in the O2 event has already passed.

13. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

True but almost all of those are just FOH SB tapes. I'm sure they have SB's of every show from 1971 on (or whenever they started using ShowCo). Page won't release anything that isn't multitracked.

14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I think it will do quite well regardless of when it is released. We're talkin' Zeppelin.

15. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Well those who REALLY cared probably got hold of one of the many bootlegs around, including some in HD. I've even heard of a Blu-ray that's out there.

Still, over a million registered for the tickets with over 60 million trying to register so I don't think all those folks are suddenly going to stop liking Led Zeppelin enough to not pick up a DVD at the local Wal-Mart or wherever. That's especially so if they add some extras. There've been articles about the sound and lighting companies that did the show and these have mentioned HD filming plus full hires multitracking of the rehearsals, so there's undoubterdly lots of material to choose from.

The issues for this or any Led Zeppelin release are 1. Page has always been a perfectionist and would release shows "as is." No matter how incredible Led Zeppelin were live, their performances were spotty at times and the nature of their taking chances with the music meant some things worked, others didn't. 2. You need the agreement of Page, Jones, Plant and the Bonham estate for any release. If you read writer Mick Wall's blog in which he purblished accounts of how difficult it was to get agreement, etc., for simple liner notes he wrote for the 2003 DVD, it gives you a picture of how difficult getting these guys to agree can be!

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah Chris is on the money here.

The one thing I will add is that many of the board tapes out there now were stolen from Jimmy's house. I don't think he even owns the original copies anymore.

Eddie

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

But weren't most of the tapes stolen from the 1980 and 1973 tours? Regardless, like Chris said, Page will not be releasing soundboards. The next Zeppelin release will most likely be the O2 gig. The Japan '71 tapes would a dream for most Zeppelin enthusiasts. Apparently Page dusted them off when work was being done on the HTWWW and DVD projects and was not happy with them (IIRC, I read this in Dave Lewis' The Concert File), so, assuming that is the case, the Japan '71 will not be seeing the light of day. There were also rumors at one point (printed on the Tight But Loose site) that the Japan '72 tapes might be issued as How The East Was Won. Nothing happened. Can't imagine Page spending the time to work on an archival release for quite some time. Perhaps he will get involved with some sort of solo project (there have also been some rumors of some live shows with Jeff Beck), but it may be awhile until the next Zeppelin release is unleashed.

18. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Plus the guy has a life outside of music. He has a son at the end of his teenage years (a friend who got the the O2 aftershow party met Jimmy J.r and said he looks like a clone of the the Yardbirds era Page), three younger children and I read recently that his daughter is getting married this summer, so that's probably why he said in LA he's taking a few months off before getting into his new project in December.

19. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Agreed.

Jeff Beck's 2007 Ronnie Scott's dates just got released early this year..Feb, iirc...so it's still possible we'll see this for an Xmas release.

It's also possible they'll wait a while longer, 'cause of all the hoolabaloo it causes Robert, who doesn't wanna revisit Zeppelin right now, being too busy with Alison. If there's anyone vetoing it's release, it wouldn't surprise me if it's him....just to keep a lid on the hype that swirls him whenever a reunion, past, present or future, is mentioned.

20. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

My perfect world--I'll take a Page tour with Jeff Beck that follows up a joint album release. Dreamer...

Still amazed that Zeppelin catalog vinyl is not in print anymore. :confused:

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm surprised they haven't launched a Dick's Picks- or Bootleg Series- or Bright Midnight-style live album label. I don't understand Page's reluctance to release non-multitracked shows - the shows are out there for those who want them - they ought to beat the bootleggers at their own game.

22. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

That would be great but it would be so NOT Jimmy to just release the SB tapes. Plus it's not like he needs the money.

23. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Well, agreement as to his writing would always be a problem. As a writer, he's terrible. His biography of Zeppelin is a complete hack job - shamelessly derivative and totally uninspired.

24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

As I said above, the SB tapes are out there on dimeadozen and other sites for whoever is curious enough to seek them out. If I were Jimmy, I'd want to put them out myself in the best possible sound quality.

25. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

But to a wider audience (who aren't Internet/bootleg savvy), some of those shows may come as a shock - as they reveal Zeppelin's significant live flaws. I've always felt that Page's reticence in this regard was due to his playing on some of the shows, and Plant's obvious vocal woes. To salvage some of those performances (to Page's satisfaction) would require significant editing work, which perhaps he's not keen to do (and who would want to do such work when any ultimate release could be predictably nixed by the Plant camp?).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.