Miles Davis 71 Disc Box set (70 CDs, 1 DVD)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by therockman, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I see that they have announced a new 77 CD boxset of Miles Davis called THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA RECORDINGS. Do you think that this will include all of the material that is included in the metal spine boxes, or just his regular album releases? Also, even though the 77 CD box set should be out this year, rumours are that this will also be released on Blu Ray. Do you think I should wait for the Blu Ray or grab the regular 77 disc box? The price of the 77 CD box set is rumoured to be under a thousand, probably about $995. Not too bad for such a large box.

2. live evil

live evil Senior Member

The record companies amaze me.
    I wonder who the intended audience for this is?
    You are either buying a bunch of cd's that you've already bought 2-3 times, or you are being asked to buy 77 worth of cd's by an artist you are not overly familiar with.
    I just don't see an audience for this.

3. therockman

Its for a new generation that did not get his stuff the first dozen times it was released.

4. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Where's your source for this info?

5. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

The cost to the record company is minimal if they use the remastered albums they've already done; all it costs them is the manufacturing of discs and a new package design. It's a no brainer really. Some people will enjoy the chance to grab the entire catalogue in one fell swoop.

6. therockman

Although I have heard it talked about, it is mentioned in the new ROLLING STONE magazine (issue 1082-1083), page 24.

7. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

I would probably pick this up when the finances are a little straightened out more. I have part of what would be included in the box set already but there are many gaps that I wouldn't mind filling.

8. ATR

ATR Senior Member

9. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

How many versions of KIND OF BLUE are included?

10. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

This is extremely exciting news. I have all of the individually released boxed sets, but if they do this set right, I will have no choice but to save up for it. Imagine what such a set could include - the various unreleased studio sessions that took place during Miles' 1975-1981 "retirement"; the complete 1975 Japanese live recordings; a remixed Star People; the mono mix of Kind of Blue...who knows? I can't wait until more details become available.

11. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

A 77CD box set strikes me as a bit . . . excessive. As has been noted, the type of people who would be interested in such a set would already have bought the various Columbia sessions box sets. How many are going to want to buy that stuff all over again on CD?

Releasing a Complete Columbia Records Blu-Ray set, on the other hand, is an entirely different matter, although I still think it would be better to simply reissue the previous box sets on Blu-Ray. Ideally, we'd get 192/24 transfers of the original stereo and mono mixes, along with hi-rez stereo and 5.1 remixes (and possibly three channel stereo for sessions recorded live to three-track).

12. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

good grief.. how big is the vinyl box going to be :winkgrin:

13. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Rolling Stone's announcement consists of 1 sentence embedded in an article about the proliferation of deluxe box sets. It says nothing about a Blu-Ray set. I'd like to see something more authoritative than a statement that a Blu-Ray box is rumored. After all, look at how much wrangling it took with the Davis family just to get the Cellar Door set released. As for the number '77', I'm profoundly skeptical. As I showed above, the complete jacket set contains only 37 discs. Misprint is more likely, although I admit to being wrong in the past and I firmly intend to be wrong again. Just don't hold your collective breath, folks.

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

What will the production run be? 500 copies? Who can afford a $1000 boxset, a set where the majority of the music has already been previously released? Sort of bizarre....

15. 77 CDs? So far we've had:

Complete Bitches Brew Sessions: 4
    Quintet - Complete Studio Sessions: 6
    Miles & Coltrane - Complete: 6
    Complete In A Silent Way: 3
    Complete Jack Johnson: 6
    Complete Miles & Gil Evans: 6
    Complete Miles on the Corner: 6
    Complete 7 Steps: 7
    Complete Plugged Nickel: 8
    Complete Cellar Door: 6

That's 58 discs, which would mean 19 discs covering his mid 70s live albums from Japan, his 80s work for Columbia and the tracks from Someday my prince will come on which Coltrane doesn't play?

16. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

I think the approach Sony used with the metal spine boxes was the correct one, as it gave the Miles fan a choice for each era. The completist could buy all the box sets, while the fan only of, say the second quintet could stick with that, and fans of the first quintet stick just with that set.

I would have to imagine anyone who might be interested in a set like this has already purchased the other box sets, so I really don't understand this at all. Now maybe if it were on a hi rez format, might be a different story, though I for one would not be interested, as I believe there is only so much you can squeeze out of those old master tapes, and I can only justify buying the same stuff so many times.

17. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Hmm...

Throw in the Complete Live at Montreux and we're there. Without having to expand the live in Japan material. Wrong again.

18. Ah, I forgot Montreux was Columbia as well.

If the remainder of the discs is really the Montreux box, that would mean that this "new" boxed set :
    a) is not complete
    b) doesn't feature anything new or not issued on a boxed set yet
    c) is nothing but the currently available boxed sets in a new packaging
    d) just an attempt by Columbia to make us by all of the boxed sets a second time.

Right now I know for sure I really don't need this.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it's great to have the Plugged Nickel set back in print, but I'd rather see it released seperately.

19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

just bought that one off of dennis metz! can't wait to hear it.

20. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Montreux was only imported on Columbia. It was originally on a different label, so I doubt it would be included.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I don't think we'll see a separate release of the Plugged Nickel box any time soon, with this massive box on the way.

22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

If people aren't already fans, why would they jump in cold for a thousand dollar boxed set?

On the other hand, I already have 40+ Miles CDs and 15 or so Miles LPs, and I can't see spending this kind of money to rebuy so much that I already own.

Don't really see who the target audience for this would be.

23. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Miles Davis collectors. Same as for the Pixies, Beastie Boys, and any other artists that were mentioned in the Rolling Stone article.

24. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Do we know that Plugged Nickel is included in the box?

25. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I like Miles Music and have around 25 of his CD's and it's all the stuff that I liked best and wanted to purchase. I don't think I am ready for 77 more discs though and then much of the material is probably already in my collection too. I would imagine there will be some great stuff in the package to include plenty of unreleased and rare live material but I can't spend a grand on a Miles Box set these days. My wife would kill me for sure if I bought that one.
    They should release it in 4 volumes or something like that to make the price tag a little easier on people .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.