When will they fix the New Order screwups?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ Phoenix, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member Thread Starter

The label released ****** quality re-releases of all of the NO discs in 2 disc format. Well, you can certainly hear ALL of the cracks/noises/etc from them, as I'm told they didnt use the masters, they usd ****** copies they were given by fans, WTF?

So...I'm stuck with ****** quality versions of these things until the label(Rhino), decides to fix these ****ing things.

2. davers

davers Forum Resident

Rhino's website indicates re-releases of these titles next month (late July 2009)...presumably these will have the corrected versions, although they don't seem to mention that in the preview.

3. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

They are due to be the fixed versions. There'll be some form of returns scheme in the US but no word yet as to what they'll do for poor Europeans like me who are lumbered with them.

BTW, the CDs were taken largely from vinyl but not from fans' collections.

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just sent a note off to Dr. Rhino, now that the release date is indicated as July 28th, to find out how they will handle the replacement of the versions I purchased back in 2008. My problem is I purchased 2 of the re-masters via the U.K. (amazon.co.uk) and the rest via Rhino (thru CD Universe.com) - so I guess I can only get replacement from Rhino for the three I purchased with their imprint.

5. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I'm astonished that this is still up in the air. what a debacle.

I've got outstanding sounding needledrops of a dozen or so 12" single and their 7" single counterparts that are great, and make the rhino sound like rhino poop.

never mind the phat dynamic range those 12" singles had. really surprised this still has not been sorted out...

6. MikeT

It has been sorted out from what I understand. The release date for the new issues (and the vinyl editions from what I understand) is now August 25th.

Dr. Rhino had me send him proof, which had to be specific to instructions provided in the response to my e-mail to him, so that I will be sent replacements when the new discs are issued on 8/25.

That said, we still don't know if the "fixes" to the problems off the original discs will be satisfactory or not.

7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I emailed Dr. Rhino several weeks ago to inquire about the replacement program after reading about it here. I have yet to get a response.

8. Horace Wimp

Horace Wimp The 39,891st Beatle

Dr. Rhino sent me an email saying to reply with a digital photo of my New Order remasters that I want the repaired versions of. I did that and a few days later they told me they have my info and I will receive the new versions when they are released.

9. DJ WILBUR

well that's a new and novel proof of purchase.

10. MikeT

Yes it was "novel". I was asked to do the same. I guess it can work, unless people start sharing photos. :eek: (I am not suggesting this at all... and that was one of the reasons I didn't mention the method of proof I had to return to Dr. Rhino.) I assume if they notice a lot of the photos start looking like the same picture, then things could be suspect.

Anyway.. let's see what shows up near the end of August to find out if they actually fixed the problems.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So is there a discussion of what happened with the first issues somewhere? That is, why did they master from vinyl rather than tapes?

12. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Apparently, quite a few Factory Records master tapes have gone missing (not just New Order's). No really surprising, Factory was quite poorly run. New Order's profits in the late 80's and early 90's were used to prop up the massive loss that was the Hacienda club. Massive amounts of cash being spent on drugs, and failed ventures. :cry:

13. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

This is all news to me. I'd picked up all the Joy Division remasters but had held off on the New Order sets (except for Low-Life I picked up cheap). Guess I'll hold off a bit longer...

14. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Is there a special link to contact Rhino about replacing these discs? I have two of the "remasters."

15. Horace Wimp

Horace Wimp The 39,891st Beatle

I just went to www.rhino.com and followed the link to contact Dr. Rhino. Actually at the top or bottom of the page there is a "help" link. THEN you get the link to Dr. Rhino.

16. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

From what I've been hearing, it was just down to exceptionally poor research on Warners part. Even if the tapes had gone walkies, many of the tracks involved were released on CD in the 1980s, meaning that digital sources are still readily available.

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Let me make sure I understand this. The regular albums are sourced from vinyl??? That is outrageous. I still have my old New Order CD's, and they sound great, but have been considering those remasters (especially Brotherhood, since my copy of a UK Nimbus pressing with the "sticky" label side). Thank goodness I didn't buy them. Just another reason why Forum members have a "bias" against remasters. With examples like this, how can you NOT be biased against remasters.

18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Not the regular albums, just some of the the singles and B sides, plus some of them are mislabelled.

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's not as bad. I take it they are different from what is found on Substance?

20. DJ WILBUR

besides the issues with the disc 2's how do the actual albums sound then?

21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

22. DJ WILBUR

wow, i wonder who oversaw these cd's as far as quality control. there are so SO many mistakes...mixing up the 7" mix with the 87' mix...well they both have a "7" i suppose...

23. palazzo

palazzo Member

Just to point out that I got the same reply and instructions from Dr Rhino, and I live in the UK.

I sent a photo of the CDs taken with my cat in the picture too, to prove that they're mine!

24. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Actually, it's a bit more complex than that:

The tracks taken from vinyl sound like they haven't been cleaned up at all.
    The tracks taken from original tapes were mastered too hot and suffer from digital clipping.
    The wrong tracks were used in numerous cases.

The album discs sound like the original discs except compressed: they aren't an improvement by any stretch of the imagination.

I believe that some New Order fans have been maintaining a list of audio faults with the remasters and they've logged 300 so far!

25. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

What if they send you a replacement cat instead of the discs? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.