Sony SCD-XA777ES Optical Pickup Block Replacement (with photos)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Metralla, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002 Thread Starter

I've been nursing a hobbled Sony for quite some time. Hobbled because it would not play the SACD layer of hybrids or even non-hybrid SACDs. It started giving me trouble about a year ago, realignment would help, but eventually I could not play hirez at all.

So I bought a replacement optical block KHM-230AAA from Parts Express to fix the problem. Mine was made in China, though some are made in Japan. When I installed it the thing would not work, so I put the old one back. I posted on AA and Alex Peychev (APL HiFI) responed by asking me if I removed the solder bridge. Well, no. I did not even know about that. The bridge is there so that static cannot damage the laser in shipping, and it has to be removed for the unit to work.

Apparently, this is detailed in the page of instructions that come with the pickup, but my box did not have these. So I was left scratching my head, looking at the pickup trying to figure out what to do. It should have been obvious, but it wasn't. So back in the box it went.

Today I decided to have another search on Google, hoping to find more details of the "solder bridge" - maybe a picture. No such luck, but I found some details that it should be on the circuit board near the laser or the ribbon connector. After close examination, I realized I could see it.

See that blob, bottom left sitting on the traces?

You can see it more clearly in the side view.

Attached Files:

caradimos and highendlife like this.
  2. Metralla

So what does an optical pickup block look like?

Attached Files:

3. Metralla

I pulled out my trusty Hako 936, some solder braid and my magnifying glass and got to work. Voila.

Attached Files:

4. Metralla

And now for the fun part. I removed the top, attached my grounding strap (you must ground yourself to the player before fiddling with the boards), and removed the 3 ribbon cables and the two other connectors from the main board.

Attached Files:

5. Metralla

Once that comes off, you get access to the top of the CD slide assembly. Whoops, left a CD in there. There is a little hole underneath the player into which you can insert a screwdriver and turn, opening the tray a little and then you can pull the CD out towards the back.

The first thing that has to come off is the bridge that provides the top bearing for the disk.

Attached Files:

6. Metralla

Now we can see the pickup. Four screws remove the plate above the pickup.

Attached Files:

7. Metralla

And four screws running through plastic washers can be removed, and then you have to be pretty dexterous and remove the ribbon cable that sits on the back of the laser and the power connector on the side. But it's OK, and out comes the pickup. Mmm, I see three springs. Where did that 4th one go?

Attached Files:

8. Metralla

Yeah, the fourth spring fell down inside, and had me feeling a bit anxious until I located it.

The 4 green grommets have to come out of the old assembly and are used in the new one.

Springs, screws and little plastic bushes and a new pickup.

Attached Files:

9. Metralla

Now comes the REALLY fun part. Putting the new pickup in place and getting the damn ribbon cable to go in. I wish I had childs hands for this part. But persistence pays off - the power connector also has to be connected underneath before screwing in the 4 screws.

Attached Files:

10. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

This is intresting. I wish I was capable of fixing my XA777ES. Mine has always had the inverse problem, even after 3 trips to the shop, mine, it plays Sack-Dee's just fine. It's always had problems with some CD's and most especially CD-R's.

11. Metralla

We're turning for home now.

On goes the big plate (4 screws) and the bridge. Easy peasy.

Attached Files:

12. Metralla

Finally, the main board on its steel bracket can be screwed back on. Then the three ribbon cables have to be attached and a couple of other connectors.

Attached Files:

13. Metralla

Plugged in the balanced leads in and the power cable. I'm not putting the top on until I give this a trial.

Attached Files:

14. Metralla

I put the CD I was playing previously back in (Alison Moorer - Miss Fortune) and it played. Brilliant! I let it go all the way through - sounding pretty damn fine, and then grabbed a non-hybrid (Louis Armstrong - Sach Plays Fats) and the moment of truth had now arrived.

It read the table of contents in its usual leisurely style, and then indicated track 1. Very promising. Press play .. wooh!

No point in pushing my luck - I'll try a hybrid in a little while. But this is looking very good.

15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I will bookmark this thread.

So far, my XA777ES is working just fine. :cool: But threads like this (fixing the player that I have) worry me. :laugh:

16. Metralla

After Sach finished, I put in a hybrid that was at hand - at hand because I had played the CD layer recently. The very lovely recording by Alison Krauss "Now that I've Found You".

It read the SACD layer immediately - I did not have to push the button to make it select that layer; it just did it (that's the way the menu is configured, but it sure surprised me).

Oh, there we go. Hi rez in all its glory. A purity of tone I had been missing for a long time. Now I'm really stoked.

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Congrats., Geoff. Glad to hear it worked out for you. I have a 'C555ES changer that is back in the original box because it mistracks CDs. If a similar fix were available that were not labor intensive, I would give it a try.

18. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Geoff, thanks for sharing and great photos too! :thumbsup:

19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Sony replaced mine (out of warranty) for about $200.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Cool pics Geoff. Thanks for the information. My SCD-777ES is still working great but it's only a matter of time.

21. Metralla

Well, I guess I saved $30. ;)

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Impressive!

The same OPU was replaced by Sony on my XA777ES several years ago. Much better to learn how to do it yourself and keep a spare handy, IMO.

23. Metralla

Keith, they all use the same pickup. The 333 carousel, the 555 carousel and the XA777ES. All the same optical block.

Of course, the machine LeeS has (SCD-777ES) and the SCD-1 (like Dave's) use a totally different optical device - it has different issues.

I have no problems with my 333ES, but it gets very little use, so I've never had to service it. Access to the pickup on the two carousel units is through the bottom, I believe. Never tried, though; so I don't know how difficult it is. I bet it's easier than the XA777ES.

I'm sure you could get yours fixed if you were interested. You have so many machines though - I guess you don't need it. ;)

24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

:laugh: My 'C333ES and a second 'C555ES are still going strong. I keep the other 'C555ES as I may get it fixed one day, but I do have other options.

I also have a '777ES that is going strong for now.

25. quarzo

quarzo New Member

And you learnt a lot for sure, thanks for the tutorial and the pictures. Very interesting indeed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.