Miles Davis Complete Plugged Nickel box - catalog number variations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Garrett, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently ran across a copy of the Miles Davis Complete Plugged Nickel box that contained some variations in the catalog numbers from the one I had.

The catalog number for the box itself, as indicated on the bottom, is the same for both sets - CXK 66955. Each disc also has its own catalog number. My set has the following numbers:

CK 66956
    CK 66957
    CK 66958
    CK 66959
    CK 66960
    CK 66961
    CK 66962
    CK 67095

The other set has the same catalog numbers present on each disc, but also has additional numbers, either underneath the previous ones or screened near the center hub area:

DIDP 084735
    DIDP 084736
    DIDP 084737
    DIDP 084738
    DIDP 084739
    DIDP 084740
    DIDP 084741
    DIDP 085763

Anyone know the significance of the second set of numbers? Repressing, non-domestic issue, or something else?

2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

3. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

Don't record club issues often have a DIDP prefix?

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

BMG issues may have DIDP numbers, but Columbia Houses issues had DIDY numbers. Often, the actual number on the Columbia House issue was the same as for the retail issue, but the prefix was changed from DIDP to DIDY. In any case, the presence of a DIDP number does not mean that a disc necessarily came from a mail-order club.

5. KeithH

Dave, they are both U.S. issues. One is likely a later pressing.

6. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

The JPN sets have DPA on them (well, the gold set anyway)

7. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I thought the gold set was issued much earlier and contained less material than the newer one being talked about here?

8. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

I've heard that said as well...but is it true? Don't both sets have 37 tracks? I realize that the domestic set has 8 cds versus the Japan set w/7, but I thought that the reason for this was that several discs in the Jpn set simply contain a few more tracks? Disc 2 of the JPN set clocks in at 75:36 w/6 tracks -- doesn't the domestic disc 2 have something like 3 tracks?

In any event, I can honestly say, with 100% certainty, that I've never said to myself 'geez, I love this Jpn box with it's 7 versions of 'The Theme' but if I find out that there are 2 more versions of it on that US set, I'm ditching this one in a heartbeat! :D

moops likes this.
  9. KeithH

I was not aware of a Japanese gold set. Tell me more! :)

I recently picked up the Japanese aluminum set. It's seven CDs. I haven't yet compared the track list to the U.S. issue, which I also have here.

10. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

11. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The earlier japanese set was mastered from edited 2-track-mixdown tapes, while the US set was remixed from the original 3-track recordings.

From the liner notes of the Mosaic LP set:

http://livingwithmusic.com/linkto/0158.pdf

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The Japanese versions (both gold and regular SRCS 5766/72) are missing about 24 minutes of music compared to the later US CXK 66955 edition.

13. Dave Garrett

So DIDP = Digital IDentification Project. Interesting, thanks for the link.

14. Dave Garrett

Thanks, that's what I suspected. The DIDP one looked identical in every other respect to the (presumably earlier) copy I had.

15. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

Interesting, although about 1/2 page above that section of the liner notes reproduced here, it says "All titles in this collection were previously issued on SRCS 5766-5272, a 7-CD boxed set" and clearly link "some distortion" to this "original 7-CD set" alone -- one that pre-dates the gold box by a number of years iirc -- otherwise would they not have used the plural 'sets' in the liner notes and also listed the catalog number for the SRCS 7351-7357 box (one that was released just prior to the Mosaic set, wasn't it?) I dunno...it's all above my pay grade -- need a Miles expert in the house who can confirm whether or not the two JPN sets are in fact identical sonic twins?

16. KeithH

This is all very interesting. I have the U.S. 8-CD set and the Japanese SRCS-5766-5772 7-CD set. This is a rare case where a U.S. issue has more material than a Japanese issue. Several tracks are shorter on the Japanese set. The most striking difference is with "Yesterdays" on the last disc of the two sets. For the U.S. issue, it runs 15:00, for the Japanese set, it runs 5:32. I see that this difference is accounted for in Claude's post.

So I guess the Japanese set is a dud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.