Seating in your Listening Room (pics please)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thebunk, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member Thread Starter

I know there are multiple threads out there on pictures of everyone's listening rooms but most of these posts\pictures focus on the equipment or record\cd library within everyone's collections. I am finishing up my listening\music room and I am undecided on what to go with for seating. Part of me thinks a nice leather sofa would be good so I could stretch out (as well as accommodate someone else as well i.e. my wife). Another part of me thinks I should go for one or two nice comfy chairs that are more centered within the prime listening sweet spot.

Can anyone help me out with ideas or suggestions? What do you folks curl up in when listening to your favorite albums?

2. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Acoustically a leather sofa won't work. Neither will a glass coffee table. Ottomans can be a problem too. A fabric sofa or two fabric recliners would be best, with nothing between you and the speakers.

Eric

3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I use a blanket on the seat back to absorb the reflections. The view is from the top of the 'king's chair.

Attached Files:

4. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

I suppose a blanket would help, but what's the WAF on a blanket over your couch?

If it sounds half as good as it looks, it must be awesome!

Eric

5. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

What specifically does a leather sofa do to room acoustics?
    I have leather furniture in my room and have never given it much thought before.

6. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Lots of reflection, very little absorption.

John K.

7. Natt

Natt Forum Resident

My room sounded better after the leather furniture was added to it. Perhaps it's not ideal, but it's better than nothing it would seem. And to me, seating comfort is actually more important than absolute sound quality.

8. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Are you planning to spend a lot of time in 'dedicated' listening? Dedicated listening is sitting in the prime 'sweet spot', upright, listening as a primary activity.

If so, I recommend that whatever you choose for seating have swappable seat cushions. My room in my house has a leather sofa that does not. Over time, my posterior has created a permanent indent in the sofa and there is nothing I can do about it. My room in my corporate apt has a sofa with three identical cushions. Whenever one starts to get soft, I swap them around.

FWIW, I don't buy the argument against leather. The more important factor is the size of the seating and the thickness of the padding. The seat is going to act as an absorber and, partially, a diffuser. The larger it is, the greater the effect. However, compared to properly placed wall treatments and bass traps, the sofa has a relatively minor effect.

Now a coffee table (of any material) is a completely different matter. I wouldn't have one now that I have heard the difference that it can make.

9. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I sit in one of these, less the ottoman.

Attached Files:

10. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I used to use a sofa and I second the opinion by Dave. Unfortunately many leather couches, because of their construction do not permit swapping of cushions, at least the ones I saw at Macy's. I also found most sofas to be uncomfortable to sit on for any extended period of time.

I bought recliners because they generally offer much better back support and the cushions are harder which is good for the back also resulting in much more comfort. I swap around the recliners so I don't wear any one of them out. Yes, they take up more room and are more costly but I think the benefits out weigh the extra costs. Plus they can be moved around easily.

Definitely no coffee table although a side table is good to have.

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I have a leather sofa so I never have to leave the room for such nonsense as sleeping!:cheers:

12. Dream Operator

Dream Operator New Member

I have my eye on this drafting stool (or something similar, just getting ideas now).

Being 6'6", most office chairs a just a bit short for me. This chair has a seat height of 24 1/4" - 29 1/4", I would probably keep it at or near the lowest setting.

[​IMG]

Tim

http://www.bizchair.com/wl-a7671syg-bk-ad-gg.html

13. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Well I have a bed... and an office chair and I fit in it because I'm only 6'1" \o/

14. Dream Operator

I'm jealous, sort of. :)

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Does it have a built-in refrigerator and toilet? ;)

16. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Tim,

If you're looking for a comfortable high-back office chair look at the Hon Mobius. They go up a little higher than most so they're great for taller people. I have two and like them a lot.

I'd post a pict but my computer isn't cooperating.

They're easy to find with Google.

Eric

17. Dream Operator

Thanks, Eric.

High back is probably a good idea for me, along with appropriate seat height.

Many of the chairs from HM do look nice (priced accordingly:)). I'm having a hard time finding a site that shows seat height. They all list seat width and depth and overall chair height, but not seat height.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks again,

Tim

18. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

We wrote an article about seating in issue 5....

19. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I use a cloth sofa purchased from RC Willey. I have it covered with an ugly comforter to protect it from my dog (hair and dirty paws). I've enclosed a picture of the offending beast.

20. Music!

Music! Forum Resident

:laugh:

He looks like he loves that couch!

21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Actually, he is a she, and yes, she does like the couch. She also likes the RC Willey chair that's off to the side, and she will move there if the music coming from the stereo is not to her liking (too noisy, too scary or too busy).

22. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

wow!! That's one happy dog!

23. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Speakers are 3 or 4 fett to the left and right next to the desktop with the Music server / Mac mini and the TV between desktop and right speaker - so it is out of the way of the Stereo Triangle.
    I sit inside the center of the Stereo panorama on the same line with the speakers to the left and right of me so that I got Stereo Sound when on the web.
    For concentrated three dimensional listening in the exact sweet spot I have h a large solid expensive old school comfy chair with rolls + a chair for the feet...nothing between the speakers and that seat. a round tabel to the righ behind the comfy chair
    Behind that chair is a small 2 seat sofa leaning to the back wall for more relaxed listening session - I also have a spot light there in case I want to read and listen to music...

I must have some flexibility with music and the way I listen to it - not all the time in the exact same position like some people...
    I even got a second Stereo set up I use nearly as much as the main stereo..but that is another topic..

24. orthobiz

orthobiz Forum Resident

Check the line voltage, also during summer when brownouts can occur. I had trouble with voltage fluctation and found out I had a problem with the cable that went from the pole to the house. At the same time, the power company changed the local transformer and moved me closer to the transformer. I took time to talk to them and they were very responsive to what I was trying to do with the sound!

Paul

25. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Here is an older pic of that room comfy chair and desk top. basically the sam as now but different speakers KEF iQ7se and the chair is turned around s that i look at the window , not with the back to the window
    Back thea there was a table between the chair and that 2 seat sofa - I put that table out of the way and placed the chair closer to that sofa - I can actually rest my arms on the back of the chair and listen to the music that way, too...
    too large for this site - so click on that link if you want to see the seat.....so comfy that i usually fall asleep in it sooner or later...:shh:
    http://www.divshare.com/download/7035821-44b

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.