How was dbx noise reduction supposed to work? I could never use it properly...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fjhuerta, Jul 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

I owned a Luxman deck some time ago. It has Dolby B, C, HX Pro and dbx. It made great copies of LPs.

One thing I could never use was the dbx noise reduction, though. Even after following the instructions to the letter (about setting the output levels), the tape would sound as if someone was selectively boosting the output level. I also remember the loudness indicators on the deck were around 3dB lower when I used it.

Did I really miss something great by not using dbx?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Dbx sux.

It compresses the signal upon recording, and stretches it back out again on playback.

The problem is, if you run over something with a bulldozer and then try to pound it back into shape, it doesn't work.

3. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I have used dbx quite a lot. (By now you knew I was a contrarian, right?) I couldn't afford Dolby-A and it was the next best thing. (Frankly I think dbx-II, the consumer version, produces less audible artifacts than dbx-I, the original "pro" version.)

In order for it to work properly, despite rumours to the contrary, it is necessary to have a deck with flat response. If you have a bass boost it'll make it weird out. Contrary to popular belief, dbx does not just double frequency response errors, except on test tones. It does weird dynamic stuff when the recorder is not flat. Maybe that's the trouble you were having.

One thing it *is* quite immune to, that plagues Dolby, is level matching. As long as the response is flat the level calibration is more or less irrelevant as it acts in a linear 2:1 fashion over the entire dynamic range.

4. Steve Hoffman

Somehow I'm not surprised at your post. If I had said I liked it you would have said you didn't. Heh. My dark side.

The next time you use DBX try this. Record to tape some pink noise, at -10, 0, +3 using DBX encoding. Measure to make sure you're flat. Now, play it back. Wait a minute, try waiting 20 years and playing it back on another flat deck using your trusty DBX machine. Measure the dynamics and tonality of the tone bursts. Oops, what happened?

Whenever I see a master tape that has DBX marked on it, I usually cancel the remastering project. Thank God not too many tapes were encoded this way....No such thing as a "flat" recording or mixing session. These guys back then weren't careful enough. DBX only works well on paper or under VERY controlled surroundings. (Same with DOLBY A, actually, but it has more leeway).

5. fjhuerta

Interesting... I always thought I was doing something wrong. The end result always was what Steve (Hoffman :D) describes: it was as if someone was playing with the volume control, raising up and lowering down the volume with the music.

6. Steve Hoffman

fjhuerta,

It's just tricky to get it working correctly. I can't even get it to work right in the studio on real 15 ips master tapes, I doubt the cassette version would even work with all the non-adjustable variants.

The problem with noise-reduction formats and cassettes is that unless you play back your encoded tape on the EXACT SAME MACHINE that you recorded it on for life, it will never sound right. That's why most engineer types never used noise reduction when making cassette copies.

7. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Years ago when I worked at a recording studio, DBX was regarded as the bees' knees. There were real priests of this mumbo-jumbo in those days, but it never worked properly, IMO, and took up lots of our time. I'd all but forgotten it till this thread!

8. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Ok, call me naive (it might be the best of the things you might want to call me!), but (a) isn't that what the setup tones are for, so you can get back to flat response even if the tape deteriorates a bit, and (b) I thought the studio was supposed to be a controlled environment. Isn't that part of what being a professional is, making sure things are set up correctly? (NOT a dig at your esteemed self! I'm sure you do that.)

To me dbx is like Dolby: an evil, but sometimes the lesser of the evils.

9. Steve Hoffman

Of course. But let me tell you a real world story. I'm working on the Bob James SACD a while back. I get all of the original master mixes by Rudy Van Gelder delivered to me by the on-the-ball vault team at Warner Bros. Records. (I can't say enough nice things about those guys).

Guess what? Rudy used DBX on every Bob James track he mixes. BUT THERE ARE NO TONES, OR ANY KIND OF WRITING ON THE BOX BESIDES THE SONG TITLES IN HIS PATENTED SCRAWL..

Rudy cut the lacquers himself back then so why did he need to put tones on his tapes? Heck, he had a master tone reel. BUT IT DOES ME NO GOOD!

So, Kevin and I fiddled for about three hours trying to get this mass of tapes without tones or annotation to sound good. I was mad to say the least. This is just one story. There are many, many, others. Noise Reduction. Faugh.

Rant over.

10. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Interesting. My dad used to have a DBX standalone box for his hifi setup, back in the 70s. He was getting into hifi, and DBX was all the rage. I remember auditioning stuff with the DBX, and we were just nonplused at how bizarre it made everything sound. It was really just a novelty, and didn't last long in his hifi system.

11. fjhuerta

OTOH, the Bob James SACD sounds terrific... so I guess dbx at a consumer level is WAY worse than what dbx was at a professional level.

Funny thing is, why did Nakamichi, Luxman and such included it on their products? I guess it was more of a marketing scheme than anything else.

12. Steve Hoffman

Ahh, added your name in the signature line, eh? Going to stay a while here I see. Good.

Yes, just a gimmick on non-pro machines. As I mentioned in my above post to you, it probably worked as long as you played your tape back on the exact same machine for ever and ever.

13. michael w

michael w New Member

Steve,

That would have to be one of the most apt and funniest descriptions of DBX and NR I've ever read.

:laugh:

In the past I've used various top of the line Nak, Teac, Yamaha domestic cassette decks with everything from Dolby B/C, DBX, even Nak's proprietory Hi-Com NR and they all did varying degrees of damage to the music.

NR is an evil alright, one best avoided.

cheers

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

But the record companies use Dolby on cassettes all the time.

15. michael w

michael w New Member

Yes, but they also duplicate on low quality tape stock and expect their tapes to be played on low-fi equipment like car or portable cassette players.

Dolby is used as a bandaid.

IME noise is not a problem on a good stereo system.

cheerio

16. fjhuerta

I'm learning far too much everyday to go away now. This is a great forum, full of great people. :D

17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I wouldn't know dbx from D. Boon but this thread is a perfect example of why this forum is so educational and fun at the same time. Give-and-take, differing opinions rendered politely, Steve's witty analogies, lotsa geeky techno-terms our wives roll their eyes at. Who could ask for more?

18. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Guys,

I have on-board DBX I on the Reel machine pictured below. I purchased this unit in 1983 and it did not take me very long to realize that recordings sounded much better without NR. The sound was colored, changed and not in a 'good way'.

Bob

Attached Files:

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Steve, can you tell us which engineers tended to use DBX? Was there a pattern?

20. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Senior Member

It's very hard to equalize something that was recorded with dbx (even when its played on the machine it was recorded on). It never sounds right. It just kills the sound. Especially acoustic stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.