How can we convince Audio Fidelity to press more than 5,000 copies of each title?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

I keep reading about suppliers being out of stock or sold out (!!!), waiting for new shipments, forum members waiting and waiting and waiting for their gold discs to ship.

And if you think it's bad in the US, try being up here in Canada!! :eek:

Any ideas? What can we do to convince AF that there are more people out there that want to buy these discs?

THE DOORS/The Soft Parade & Morrison Hotel, THE BEACH BOYS/Pet Sounds, LINDA RONSTADT/Heart Like A Wheel, THE BAND/Self-Titled (The Brown Album), THE CARS/Heartbeat City, ALICE COOPER/School's Out, etc. This stuff is mostly sold out (or will be very soon). They should make another 5,000 at least. I heard every copy of SOFT PARADE and MORRISON HOTEL is already spoken for and they are making 7,500 of those. People around the world want this music!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Gary, I'm with you. These should be repressed. Their distributor grossly UNDERESTIMATED how many they should order the first time around. Left everyone short and the factory on a scramble to repress. Since they only press Gold once a month you can see the bind AF was in.

They should extend the numbering system up to 10,000 at least. People ask me all the time if I know where to get copies of some of this stuff. I tell them that the stuff is sold out and there ain't nothing I can do about it.

I would like to convince Audio Fidelity to do a repress on the titles. There are music lovers everywhere who want their chance to get these things. On the other hand it's not up to us....

3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

What???!!! ALL the Doors Soft Parade are all spoken for already? It's not even out yet!
    What the.....:realmad:

4. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I wouldn't mind the 5000 if I could be sure none of them are defective. But many, many of these are going back. grr.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Tell me this is not true! :shake::shake::shake:

6. IIRC IORR

IIRC IORR Forum Resident

What kinds of defects have been found to cause returns? All of mine have been in perfect brand new condition ...

7. Maggie

Pet Sounds: Cracked cases + smashed hubs = scratched discs.

8. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

I haven't been able to get any of them. If AF could print another 5,000 or more copies, even if they have no number printed on them, that would be fantastic!

9. Maggie

Amen!! :angel:

10. IIRC IORR

IIRC IORR Forum Resident

ouch ... I guess I was lucky because mine came in the all too common flimsy padded mailer but survived the trip. It's just too easy for a CD to get crushed in the mail in one of those.

11. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Gary..put an order in for 5000 and they sure as heck will make more.

IMO Soft Parade is the worst Doors album they ever made.

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I guess I'm lucky I managed to get the Band. I was looking forward to Morrison Hotel, but if all copies are already spoken for before it's even out...

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

They must all be sent to Japan. I've seen copies of "The Band" or "Pet Sounds" with numbers from the mid 400s up to the mid 2,600s.

14. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

the difficulties in getting them made me choose the subscription option.......

15. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Wha?! How can this be? :confused:

16. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Already being spoken for can only mean that orders from distributors already equal or exceed the 7500, not counting the subscribers. This does not mean that AF has 7500 names of people who have reserved or already purchased the CD.

17. phish

phish Jack Your Body

where did you hear this one? pre-sold to retailers? seems like that would be hard to track.

the morrison hotel one was interesting to me.

18. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Steve (or anyone else who may know),

What were the pressing runs on average of the original DCC Gold series?

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

So no need to panic? :laugh:

20. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I suggest that someone should go to the AF website and do a "Contact Us" and send a link to this thread. Marshall Blonstein is very interested in what goes on here at the Forum. The fact that Steve has chimed in to this thread should carry a bit of weight.

I've been in e-mail contact with Marshall a few times and he has always taken the time to answer me.

21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Grrrrr....:realmad:

22. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I wasn't able to find Morrison Hotel on the AF website or any website.

23. Steve Hoffman

20,000 or so average for the pop titles. That was still a drop in the bucket compared to the non-Gold versions sold in a three year period..

24. Sounds like the subscription campaign combined with advance pre-orders may have over achieved their purpose which should have been a relative awareness of title demand.

25. Steve Hoffman

I was at Jerry's Deli in Studio City today having a lunch meeting with Marshall and the head of Rhino A&R and the place was crawling with "Star Spots". A fairly well-known TV actor came up to me when I was making a bathroom run and asked if there were any Alice Cooper Gold CD's left (he actually wanted to pay for it). I told him they were gone with the wind. AF needs to repress more stuff. I hate disappointing people..

SOFT PARADE and MORRISON HOTEL are not sold out. They are spoken for. (The distributor has placed every copy other than the AF home copies.) Don't worry, it's not even mastered yet. You'll get your copy if you want it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.