Capitol Reissue Music From Big Pink possible defect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pharmboycu, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pharmboycu

pharmboycu Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wanted to ask if anyone had any problems with their copy? Mine has a couple of instances on each side of a loud screeching/scratching sound-- almost like an overmodulation but it sounds as if it's coming from the surface of the LP itself, like it's over-top of the music. Any thoughts?

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

This is typical of the latest vinyl coming out from Capitol. I don't have the Music from the Big Pink but I have the same problem in other Capitol LPs.

For instance Abbey Road, Peace Sells..... Viva La Vida, all have the problem that you describe in the 2nd side.

3. xman

xman Active Member

My Capitol reissue pressing of The Band S/T stunk.

4. pharmboycu

Well, at least I'm not the only one. I just wish I hadn't spent that amount of money on this only to have it be defective. Other than those couple of instances, it sounds okay to me... but this is the only copy of the album I've ever owned, so I don't relaly have anything to compare it to.

5. AH On Vibes

AH On Vibes New Member

I'm not a big vinyl dude, but it sucks that a lot of vinyl releases seem to be lacking in the QC dept. :shake:

6. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Tell me about it. That's why I haven't bought a single reissue (though there are a few highly regarded ones that are on my list), especially since used records are plentiful in LA.

7. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I had the exact same problem on a recently purchased copy of the RTI pressed "Hotel California" (Rhino/ WB).

8. John D.

John D. Senior Member

That really sucks, RTI is supposed the Premier Pressing Plant in the US :(

9. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I've bought one Capital Vinyl LP. The reason being, the sticker said Special Edition Red Vinyl, 180 Gram Vinyl, Audiophile Quality. The title was Band of Gypsys by Hendrix. Well, this is the last Capital LP I will be buying. Even after cleaning, there was some screachy stuff going on in Them Changes, on the second side. I tried cleaning a second time, same thing. This ones going back, lucky that I bought it at BB :realmad:

10. pharmboycu

I did too. Fortunately, I sent it back to Amazon and got a replacement. Unfortunately the replacement has a skip at the opening second of "The Last Resort." The rest of it sounds okay, so I'll let that be my listening copy and keep the extra one I ordered sealed for a rainy day. This gets to be very expensive when you can't seem to get a good copy.

11. StirBlues

StirBlues Forum Resident

I had that as well on my copy of Big Pink, I believe it was on "We Cant Talk About it Now"-- very ****ing annoying, I could have bought good used copies of the first TWO albums for what I paid. Lesson learned, eh? :realmad:

12. Idler

Idler Active Member

I believe this is an all too familiar pressing problem (usually on side 2 of the record). I have gone through 4 copies of the Rhino/Coltrane Love Supreme and all had this problem on side 2 to varying degrees (is this just an RTI problem?). BTW from my research it is a problem largely confined to 200-180 gram releases.

13. pharmboycu

Same place as mine. Lesson learned indeed. I'd rather have thinner, better pressed vinyl than thicker poorly pressed vinyl any day.

John

14. John D.

John D. Senior Member

The problem is RTI doesn't seem to think Quality Control is important. I remember watching Fremer's dvd, while touring the Pallas pressing plant they showed people not only visually inspectiing records, but they also were listening to them on sample basis for defects. Doesn't look RTI has thought of this or everyone would not have records that are defective in the same places. :shake:

15. StirBlues

StirBlues Forum Resident

Yep, don't believe the hype, especially coming from an amoral conglomerate like EMI/ Capitol ( now Warner Bros, on the other hand... ;) )

16. Idler

Idler Active Member

Sorry - had a senior moment - the John Coltrane record with the recurring problem was Rhino's Giant Steps not A Love Supreme

17. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Yep, i had exactly the same defect on my copy :realmad:

18. nickbloop

nickbloop Forum Resident

Was your problem with the new 45rpm 2-disc "Giant Steps" or the 33rpm
    version released a while ago?

The new 45 was pressed at RTI. The 33 was not pressed at RTI.

Most of the titles mentioned in this thread were NOT pressed at RTI. Rhino's recent
    "Hotel California" was done there.

Only a select few of Capitol's "From the Vinyl Vaults" or Universal's "Back to Black" series
    were pressed at RTI. The vast majority were pressed elsewhere.

19. Idler

Idler Active Member

It was the 33 that I had problems with. I always assumed it was pressed at RTI as I exchanged emails with Dr Rhino about the issue at about the time when people here were reporting on similiar pressing problems with the Doors box set (which I thought was pressed at RTI) and he inferred that there were QC issues with these pressing as well - he sent me two replacements that both still had defects.

So - where was the Kevin Gray mastered Giant Steps produced?

20. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

In the case of From the Vinyl Vaults, it was Rainbo.

21. ucfjon

ucfjon Forum Resident

I have 2 of the "From the Vaults" albums (Roxy Music s/t and Pet Sounds) and neither has this problem...maybe its limited to certain albums?

22. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

My copy is fine. Sound is average but it was a hell of a lot cheaper than a NM original. Sorry to hear about the problems.

Tom

23. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Strange , I just played the Music from Big Pink re-Issue lats night and some tracks had very strange Stereo effects, like I never heard before -as if the signal was not moving not in time or something like that - The SQ wasn't excactly all that on a few tracks. The Weight and If Memory Serves You Well sound good, thou,,,my faves on the album...

Records that sounded extremely good recently were the Back to Black Steely Dan 180 gram AJA (smokes the Cisco for my money) and esp. the 2008 repress of Tim Buckley's fantastic 1972 Greetings From LA with some of the same musicians found on AJA ( Chuck Rainey on bass) awesome sounding LP- One of the best LP's in my collection for sure !!!

It is always hit and miss with those heave vinyl re-issues ...they might even differ within a series as told on dcc....

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Speaking of Tim Buckley, last year I bought the reissue of Blue Afternoon and it sounds great.

25. rickharper

rickharper Forum Resident

SKIPS:
    Try adding one postage stamp at a time to yer tone arm til it plays thru. Once it makes it once, it'll probably play on. Maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.