New Pixies box set: Minotaur (Deluxe Edition)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by crimpies, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some sites are starting to report rumour/news of a new Pixies album.

http://www.ainr.com/pixies/index.html

[​IMG]

from here

:goodie:

2. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

But will it feature the long overdue "Carnival of Light" and "Now and Then"?

Seriously, if it's a studio album (and it's a big "if"), I'll read the reviews first. The reunion could have led to a regain of creativity within the band but, five years after, and several albums of new songs by either Black or Deal on their own, it's hard to believe it came naturally. Black has his new project with his wife, Grand Duchy, with an album released in February and he seems happy with it. So, I fear a Pixies studio album would be an attempt to milk the cash cow the reunion concerts ceased to be.

By the way, June 15th is a Monday, so it would be artwork for a UK release. Or it's June 15th, 2010, which falls on a Tuesday

3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I'm intrigued. I didn't know they were back together again, not since they finished touring anyway. I thought that The Breeders were playing the UK again soon.

4. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

5. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I wonder what this release is then? We've had best of's, I can't imagine there's much in the way of outtakes. I thought they'd pretty much cleaned out the cupboards and released everything they've done.

A boxset maybe???

6. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

Dude, if you want Pixies, check out the Grand Duchy album. I think it's exactly what all the Pixies fans have been clamoring for.

I, too, am distraught over the demise of a "Charles Thompson" band: Frank Black and the Catholics. When are THOSE guys going to have a reunion album? :sigh:

7. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

8. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Looks like a nice set and all, but having to deal with A+R again is something that I don't want to do.... I bought their Beck set, and all of the LPs came scuffed and scratched up, and one of the sleeves came with a nasty seam split. It took 4 MONTHS to get it replaced.

9. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident Thread Starter

$450? WTF!

10. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Yeah, A.I.R screwed up a lot of the NIN Ghosts deluxe editions, too.

11. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

The Sigur Ros "In A Frozen Sea" set got a lot of complaints too, if I'm not mistaken.

12. Well, maybe the label has learned from its mistakes? I hope so anyway as, Pixies semi-completist that I am, the less deluxe edition is something I may have to pull the trigger on even though I've got pretty much everything in it in some form or other.

13. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...s-albums-being-reissued-for-minotaur-box-set/

14. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

If they release the 180 gram vinyl individually, I would buy them, but $450 is just too steep IMO.

15. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

That's true. I can't think of one forum member who said their set wasn't warped and noisy.

16. sf74

sf74 Active Member

$450 is way too much for the vinyl set. i'm sticking with my MoFi CDs. 3 of the 4 albums are already available and i'm sure the 4th is coming soon.

isn't MoFi doing a 180g pressing of Surfer Rosa anyway?

17. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

18. Slicing Eyeballs

Slicing Eyeballs Forum Resident

Love the Pixies to death, but not seeing much here worth spending that much cash on.

19. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

That's awsome! Doolittle is the only Pixies LP I don't have yet. I'm going to order this from my local record store. The recent Bossanova and Trompe le Monde vinyl reissues are very good-hopefully MOFI's Doolittle will be even better.

The Minotaur set is way too expensive and too risky after how badly AIR did the Sigur Ros set from what I keep reading about it.

20. surfingelectrode

If they really wanted to make this special, they should have included a replica of the original Purple Tape, kind of like the recent Pearl Jam reissue.

21. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

My Sigur Ros was also noisy and I wasn't that impressed by the packaging either. It seemed cheaply finished despite the price. I can't believe they're trying to charge $450 for this. There's no way I'll buy it!

Don't they know there's a rec(depr)ession on??

22. AnalogueGhost

AnalogueGhost Forum Resident

I think the $175 box sounds like it might be cool, if a bit pricey. I wonder how the 24k discs and the blu-rays will stack up to the MoFi SACDs? I'd guess the MoFi will win, but that's just speculation.

23. surfingelectrode

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but the CDs included in the boxset are NOT remastered. They're the same discs that have been around for 20 years.

24. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Rob Loverde cut the MFSL vinyl, so I'm sure it will be excellent. :thumbsup:

25. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

That was mentioned in the Rolling Stone article I posted earlier today.

Who knows what the vinyl will be like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.