Music sightseeing in New York

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindgames, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next week I'm going to New York City to (hopefully!) see Paul McCartney (and Ringo) at the David Lynch Benefit Concert. :goodie:

I've never been to New York before, so of course - as a Beatles fan - I like to visit some 'historical places'. The Dakota, Strawberry Fields, MSG, Ed Sullivan Theatre, etc.

But I would like to know what other (musical) places you all would recommend to visit? For example: CBGB, Record Plant Studios, Hit Factory? (What are the locations of the studios were John Lennon recorded "Double Fantasy"? Are they gone?)

Thanks in advance! :wave:

2. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Go to the Village man and just cruise Bleeker Street. You'll love it!
    Safe Trip!
    Peace-
    Norm/t5

3. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

If you have time there's some good shows over at The Beacon on The Upper West Side. You might be able to work in The Allmans Brothers or Bryan Adams.
    Peace-
    N/t5

4. igor stravinsky

igor stravinsky Forum Resident

The CBGB closed 2006. You can still see one preserved wall of it in The John Varvatos store at 315 Bowery.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/19/arts/music/19varv.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=CBGB&st=cse

The Hit Factory closed in 2005. I'm guessing that Lennon would have recorded at the 237 west 54th street facility, not the other one at 421 West 54th. Both facilities are now closed.

The Record plant was at 321 West 44th Street, but closed in 1987, ironically shortly after being sold to Sir George Martin.

5. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Lennon's last recording sessions were done at 321 W. 44th Street.

Also, do a web search for Sniffen Court in NYC--that's where they took the Doors "Strange Days" cover.

6. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Is Bleeker Bob's Village Oldies still there? I visited there..their prices were too high for me,but,MAN! What a selection there!:righton:

7. Karate Monkey

Karate Monkey New Member

We went there in 2003 and visited the Brill Building on Broadway (near the Ed Sullivan Theater). The lobby is a high-polished gold. It was amazing. Paul Simon still has an office there. We also stopped at Studio 54 (long-closed, but still there as of '03). There's also Electric Ladyland and some really amazing record shops in the Village. Have a great time!

8. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I don't think Bleeker Bob is on Bleeker any longer. Last time I was there over 15 years ago though, it was a block off Bleeker. But I forgot which one. :confused:

I believe Electric Lady is still operation. It's on West 8th street. IIRC so is Rock 'N Roll Heaven.
    The Fillmore At Irving Plaza on Irving place & 17th street, was the old Irving Plaza, I saw many, many shows there.

The East Village still has Gem Spa, the location for the shot on the back of the first New York Dolls record.
    Saint Marks Place, in the east Village is worth walking up and down for a while. Lots of record, CD stores.
    The building that was on the cover of Physical Graffiti is on Saint Marks.

The Beacon Theater site of Queens first US concert is still there up on the westside. At 2124 Broadway. I believe the Allmann Brothers are in residence there for the next few weeks.

The Beatles first concert in NYC was at Carnegie Hall. It's located on 57th and Seventh Ave.
    I believe Shea Stadium is in the process of demolition, though.

9. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

and when you get hungry don't forget to check out chinatown and little italy.

10. davmar77

The East Village still has Gem Spa,

hmm,egg creams...

11. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Huh - I lived in NYC for 9 years and never knew that. I'll have to look out for it next time I'm there.

Shea is now a pile of rubble next to the new Citifield.

Dylan and Springsteen, among others, got their starts on Bleeker. Not sure if the clubs they played at are still there. The Bitter End is still there, I believe.

In general, Greenwich Village was the center of the singer-songwriter scene in the 60's-70's (Bleeker St.), and the East Village was the punk scene mid-70's-late 80's (St. Marks Place, aka East 8th St. east of 3rd Ave.). The alley next to CBGB has been renamed after Joey Ramone, and there is a relatively new mural of Joe Strummer on the side of Niagra Bar on 7th and A, which one of the last Mescalero videos shows being created.

I've been in the bar where the Stones end up in the Waiting on a Friend video (St. Marks Bar), which sadly was sold and now is yet another yuppified lounge in the East Village. I think the stoop Mick was sitting on is on St. Marks.

12. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

The "Physical Graffiti" building is (I believe) 96-98 St Marks Place (between First Ave and Ave A). Walk a few blocks up, to 13th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenue, to see where Robert DeNiro shot Harvey Keitel and rescued Jodie Foster in "Taxi Driver"

13. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

You've got lots of things to do in NY.

The Village Vanguard and Birdland are also worth visiting.

14. Karate Monkey

Karate Monkey New Member

For the darker side of things, there's the Chelsea Hotel, where Joplin died, Sid shot Nancy, and a host of other bizarre happenings.

15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I live a block from Sniffen Court. It's on 36th between Lexington and 3rd Avenue. (But it's gated, so you can only look into it.)

16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Go to St. Marks Place and check out Sounds and all the used CD stores. Go to Academy on 18th Street between 5th and 6th Avenue. Check out the Virgin Megastore on 14th Street and broadway before it disappears. While you are there walk down the Broadway to The Strand Bookstore.

Have a great time!

17. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

Joplin died in LA not at the Chelsea (but she did live there for a time, as did Leonard Cohen who wrote the song Chelsea Hotel about his time there).
    The Pythian Temple still stands I believe on West 70th Street. That's where Rock Around the Clock was recorded, among many others.
    Lennon began the Double Fantasy Sessions at the Hit Factory when it was on West 48th Street. It moved later on to 54th.
    The Academy of Music/Palladium is now an NYU dorm on 14th Street--that's where Lou Reed's Rock and Roll Animal was recorded and thousands of great acts played there.
    Max's Kansas City was a deli last time I saw it on Park Avenue South just above 17th Street.
    The Fillmore East is now a Bank on Second Avenue and 6th Street.
    Go see Manny's Music before it closes next month--it's not much in terms of a musical instruments store these days but look at the signed photos on the wall of all who shopped there. Hendrix and the Beatles, among many, all bought gear there.
    See a show at the Mercury Lounge and have a pastrami sandwich and a knish at Katz's deli on Houston Street (if you say Hew-ston the locals will know you're from out of town--it's How-ston) and don't lose the ticket they give you upon entering Katz's!

18. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Manny's is closing?! :(

Too sad. That's where I bought by guitar years ago (I think maybe it was Sam Ash). I was spoiled having those places there when I lived in NY. Always miss them when I realize that Guitar Center is about the only place to go around here (DC, and probably most anywhere outside of major 'music cities').

19. davmar77

no mention of radio city music hall and madison square garden? the bottom line is gone so that won't work as is the lone star cafe. you never knew who might show up at those clubs. clapton filmed his beer commercial at the lone star and stuck around that night to sit in with roomful of blues as an unannounced guest.

20. racerx20

racerx20 Forum Resident

I was at Manny's for the first time in about 10 years last week - it was not nearly as impressive as I had remembered it. I had no idea it was closing but that would explain the lack of used/vintage gear. There was a big leak in the ceiling on the second floor where the acoustics are, they didn't even have a bucket out and the carpet was soaked. There's still Rudy's and Sam Ash across the street.

21. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Electric Lady is still there on W. 8th between 5th and 6th Aves., but is not open to the public (I live down the block). Bleecker Bob's is (and has been for as long as I can remember) on W. 3rd St. between MacDougal St. and 6th Avenue - a block north of Bleecker St. Same block as the Blue Note and the former site of Folk City. The IFC Theater on 6th Ave. across from W. 3rd used to be the Waverly Theater, immortalized in the song "Frank Mills" from the soundtrack of Hair.

I would tell you about my favorite record stores (Bleecker Bobs is not one of them), but then I'd have to kill you.

Best pizza in the Village: for slices, Joe's - 6th Avenue just above Bleecker (technically it's on Carmine St.), and for a more leisurely full-pie meal, John's on Bleecker between 6th and 7th Aves.

One more thing - if you stand on W. 4th St at the intersection of Jones St. (about a block west of 6th Ave and W. 4th) and look up Jones St., it's the site of the cover photo of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan. Dylan once lived nearby on W.4. I lived on Jones St. in the mid 80's and one of my neighbors was Dylan's son Jesse.

Attached Files:

22. vinyljunkie123

vinyljunkie123 Forum Resident

so what are your favorite record stores???

23. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

It's funny anyone who's ever actually gone into Bleeker Bob's feels exactly the same way! :righton: Thanks, I knew it wasn't on Bleeker, but it's been so long, I couldn't remember the correct locale.
    I would've figured one the dozen or so Ray's would've been amongst the favorite pizza's.
    Haha. Positively 4th St. indeed. :righton:

24. H-Man

H-Man Member

The Plaza Hotel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.