Deep Purple - Made In Japan film unearthed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zen, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member Thread Starter

Hot off the press:

Deep Purple’s Made In Japan concerts were filmed. At least in part.

Seven reels of silent 8mm footage filmed at Deep Purple’s famous August 1972 Japanese concerts have been found.

Rumours of such film have persisted for years, and now their existence has been verified.

[​IMG]

Audio recordings of these three concerts formed the basis of the Made In Japan album released in 1973 and the Live In Japan 3CD released in 1993.

The good news is that a 90 second portion of Highway Star from the silent film has been synced to audio and will be included on the upcoming History, Hits & Highlights 2DVD released on June 1 2009. The Highway Star is hoping to show stills from the footage shortly.

The bad news is that the rest of the 26 minute film is made up of many short excerpts from different songs, and for that reason will not make it onto the History, Hits & Highlights DVD. Later, it is hoped that a Made In Japan documentary DVD featuring the full film can be put together and styled after the Classic Albums series.

Link: http://www.thehighwaystar.com/news/2009/03/13/made-in-japan-video-unearthed/

2. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

that doesn't sound too exciting, 25 minutes footage w/ no sound...

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Well they can marry the MIJ audio tapes to the footage so no biggie.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not to mention crappy 8 mm. It probably looks like those old family 8 mm films.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I guess it has some limited appeal, but the Live Machine Head DVD is pretty much a clone of Made In Japan and it looks and sounds very nice.:thumbsup:

6. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

MIJ and video? Can't wait for *whatever* surfaces. One of my favorite CDs of all time. :thumbsup:

7. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

Kind of what they did to that abomination Uriah Heep David Byron era DVD.

8. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I assume they'll be synch'ing it with the remastered audio (whatever that would translate. It's still a cool thing to have though. I have the 2-CD version and the "2 Record Set On One Specially-Priced Compact Disc" version. I much prefer the latter. Nice and smooth, and the sound doesn't weigh-down on you the way the remaster does. Basically, it sounds the way a CD should sound.

"Cause ah'm a highhhhh ..... plainnnnnnss ..... driffftahhhh!!!"
    (Sorry. I'm listening to "Paul's Boutique" right now)

9. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I agree! I'm just happy that any footage even exists at all.

10. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

:agree:

11. zen

That's my feeling.

12. Toka

Toka Active Member

Same here! Anything at all is more than what we have at the moment.

13. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I hope not. UH DVD had "synced" audio from Birmingham '73 to Tokyo visuals. That was absolutely stupid.

I glad to see even a small snippet of MIJ material.

14. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Good to hear.

15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

What I really need is a proper deluxe treatment of Made In Japan remixed in 5.1 or quadraphonic ... and please Roger, don't push that no-noise button and keep away from Abbey Road! :shake:

It would be nice to have a CD (single, because the 2 CD version is a waste of time and disc space, really) + DVD with the new mixes, original mix + visuals, interviews, etc, etc :goodie:

16. dee

dee Senior Member

If the film of each specific song is uninterrupted, then I think 26 minutes of material can go a long way when edited and segued into something like an extended promo highlight reel that would be a lot of fun to watch and listen to...

17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

18. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

It's on youtube, but we don't want to spoil the fun....do we?

19. zen

Agreed.

20. herky10

herky10 Forum Resident

21. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

This is an AWESOME find, and something I've fantasized about since forever... All I can say is WOW!

22. zen

23. quarzo

quarzo New Member

I look foward to seing this footage, this is one of my favourite live albums and always imagined how I had been the concert. I want to every second that has been filmed!

24. herky10

herky10 Forum Resident

Quote from the latest issue of "More Black Than Purple":

"The full 40 mins of 8mm film of Purple in Tokyo 1972 has now been synched up to the sound from the gig, and despite the rather limited aspects, is still an amazing experience to watch. It should appear in full in full in the near future, posibly as a "Made In Japan" classic album style DVD in the same vein as "Machine Head".

25. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Great news. Guess we were very lucky to have the complete tapes from the 3 nights in Japan..otherwise this would have been a fairly quiet event;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.