Rush MFSL Update

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guardian, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all I thought I would share this e-mail I recieved on the Rush MFSL titles that they were working on.

Sad... Sad... News :cry:

2. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I wonder if there's another audiophile gold CD label who'd be willing to pick up the Rush baton?:winkgrin:

3. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

Bummer.

4. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Audio Fidelity?

5. Guardian

But as he said the band does not want to allow anyone to make remasters from the original tapes because they are not in good shape.

6. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

What other albums were they planning to do?

7. Guardian

They wanted to do Moving Pictures, 2112, and Signals again. I suggested they pick up Hemispheres or A Farewell To Kings but I guess all of them are trashed from the "classic" era.

8. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Just snag a 25.8P Japan copy of Moving Pictures and you've done well w/ regard to sound quality, at least. FWIW, I liked the first MFSL of 2112 very much, too.

9. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

Yeah, bummer. I would've liked to seen Grace Under Pressure. I know it's not everyone's first choice but I really like that album. And I've already got the 2112, Moving Pictures and Signals Mofis from years past. For those that don't have them I feel your pain but I wasn't excited about another Mofi reissue of those titles.

Cheers

10. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

If the master tapes should not be used anymore, then they are worthless? Are they waiting for a future technology to work on fragile tapes?
    Baked too many times? (No puns please!)

11. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I would hope that Rush/Anthem is archiving their masters flat to 24/192 digital right now before the analog masters get any worse.

12. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard New Member

Steve will only use the master tape. No compromises with using a 2nd generation copy. So the chances of Rush on AF are pretty slim.

I'm glad MOFI isn't going to water down their releases by using an inferior copy of the master tape.

13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

The tapes should be transferred and the material archived in high resolution digital.

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Couldn't they have just made a new run of cds from the glass masters they made for the original run? Or did those revert to the owners after the license expired (or didn't survive the bankruptcy of the original MFSL)?

15. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

Oh well...

16. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

So EVERY record's masters are near death?

I don't know who is keeping the masters but really...how are they making that call?

17. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

I am just glad the remasters sound great.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:biglaugh:

This is terrible news.

18. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

This Sucks!!!

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Uh, without getting into too much detail Steve has used copies before. The masters just aren't available for every project.

20. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I bet they've done that already but can you imagine the fall out MoFi would receive if word ever got out they used a, gasp, digital source? All those glowing reviews would have to be rewritten. :laugh:

21. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

He found the Pet Sounds master tape? I thought that had been missing forever.

22. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Good point.

24. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Maybe this will convince Rush to archive to high bit rate and put out dvd-audio or SACD.

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Actually, I've read that it's only the tapes from after they were no longer able to get whale oil and had to switch to a synthetic that are endangered (irony alert).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.