Vinyl Grading - difference of opinion

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by imarcq, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley... Thread Starter

I've sold 100's of LP's on ebay without one single complaint about my grading, which I, as a SH forum member especially pride myself on being both true and accurate. I always play grade - and never sell visual grading only as its not very consistent. The buyer left feedback saying that his disc was "not quite NM". This annoyed be as he never wrote to me first (probably scoring an instant refund if he did) and went straight to feedback.

Surely this is so subjective depending on personal tolerance and differing audio set-up? He maintains that there was surface noise throughout - I heard little or none to speak of on my turntable. After arguing my side fairly, I have still offered him a total refund including postage, or even if he is in Sydney to bring the record to me and hear through my trusty Shure M91ED and Yamaha turntable that to my ears sounds great.

What do other members do in this situation when you feel like your personal integrity and honesty is being challenged? Who is right? Especially when the buyer posts feedback without messaging you about any particular issue. :realmad:

2. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Did he leave positive, neutral or negative feedback?

3. imarcq

He left positive feedback but wrote "Good but not quite NM" I emailed him to ask what was the problem. Then he said it had surface noise throughout which I strongly disagree. I heard nothing like this on my system. I know its just a petty point of difference but I don't like the slightly snide comment. Yes I am a sensitive soul!

4. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Since the feedback was technically positive, I would blow it off. As a buyer, I don't think seeing prior feedback of "...not quite NM" would hold much weight or change the way I would bid.

5. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

If I were to ever sell records on eBay, I would probably include a needledrop on CD-R. In your particular situation, such a thing might bolster your case, especially if you play grade anyway.

All my Julie London LPs sound like crap, regardless of condition, but I suspect it is because I am not using the proper stylus for vinyl of that era.

If it takes you 100's of sales to generate a single complaint, I'd say that's pretty darn good, considering you don't really know what kind of person is on the other end of the transaction.

6. xman

xman Active Member

A higher end set-up might reveal more noise. When a record does not sound well on my VPI Turmtable I will play it on my Technics with far better sounding results. Just a thought. :)

7. ausamerika

ausamerika Forum Resident

I agree that "not quite NM" would not deter me from purchasing from you. That's so subjective.

8. imarcq

Thanks Guys - I feel better now! I wish I had made a needledrop! Sometimes I do - if I want copy of what I've sold for myself. It might take a bit of extra time to do for every record sold though. But a good insurance measure. I do include a grading sheet so the person has a written reference of what I've sent them in just in case people don't actually read the listing. This seems to work well.

9. eriejwg

eriejwg Active Member

Sounds like from your experience that you know how to properly grade vinyl. I'd purchase from you.

There are sellers out there that don't know how to grade and never seem to be around when you try to contact them.

10. audiofiles

audiofiles New Member

I sold a CD once and the buyer stated it was scratched, even though it was as new, the label side was designed to look scratched. "Tommy lee-never a dull moment" Although only a ***** couldn't tell the difference. I have had another idiot leave feedback that the CD I sold looked like a CD-R. I mean some people are freaking dumb. You can't do much about it though.

11. imarcq

Yep people definitely disappoint sometimes don't they?

12. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I dont purchase on e-bay anymore because of the grey area, I really have to see the vinyl first and even then it might have some groove damage from a TT from years ago.
    It was a bit of a crap shoot, but I did get a MONO UK Pepper that was NM when the seller stated EX+ so go figure. Not quite NM wont hurt your vinyl sales, I would buy off you depending on $ of course. Also I am sure your feedback is excellent, thats what I use to look for anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.