Looking To Get A UK Pressing Of Band On The Run What Matrix Should I Look For

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nad 214, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nad 214

Nad 214 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've seen matrix for those anywhere from a 2u to a 4U so I'll assume a 2u is a first pressing or is it?
    Thanks.

2. Nad 214

Nad 214 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok now somebody on this site must have a first UK pressing of this.
    Come on guys I need your help.

3. xios

xios Senior Member

My earliest press is a "-2" and it sounds superb. (No "U" in it).

4. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

-2 here as well

5. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Oh I thought there was a -1 out there...

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Recently aquired a -4 which I have not yet played, along with a purple vinyl copy that if I remember correctly uses UK stampers. However check out the UK EMI 100 anniversary edition, which is not the same as the 2LP set. If I remember correctly it sounded very good although the original US issue was not bad either.

7. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

I've got a -3 which I haven't played in ages. Don't remember been blown away by it though. It don't know if it's an oddity as it has a ZYEX matrix on both sides.

8. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

My early stamper copy marked: ZYEX 929-3 blair’s + ZYEX 930-3-B, cut by Abbey Road's Chris Blair, I presume, sounds very good indeed. I'm not in the least bit tempted to hunt down another one in the hope of upgrading the sound quality.

9. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Happy days - that's what I've got.

10. There is; mine is YEX 929 -1 and YEX 930 -1. No mention of who did the cut, but as this looks like a very early copy, that's probably why. Harry Moss, maybe? Not sure we will ever find out, but it sounds great anyway.

11. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

The one I have is: YEX 929-2 and YEX 930-5. It also has HTM on dead wax. Sounds just great to me. Frankly, I can't imagine that anything can sound much better.

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There aren't many "bad" pressings of BOTR. In fact, I don't think I've heard one, German, UK, US.

13. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Forum Resident

Any Apple "Wally" will do..

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yeah!

15. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

The Band on the Run anniversary 2 album UK set is the best sounding of all of them . It also has the extra album that is very very interesting . Dustin Hoffman in particular .
    This is a heavy weight album,I weigher the vinyl 160-165 grams EACH ... I bought two sets while in the UK when it came out . I have the original stored somewhere both the German and UK pressings . But I am emphatic if you are going for the sound get the reissued anniversary 2 LP set .
    The sound is clean beyond belief and the fidelity is outstanding . You will hear things that were either so buried in the original mix or just left out . The bass is so live and up close and personal . You can actually hear the attack from the pick if you listen closely .
    Granted there is something about a first pressing anything that does have a warmth .That said,I have always been curious about a blind fold test .
    Blue Note and Downbeat magazine used to do this with jazzers and they always nailed the artist playing .
    It would be interesting to do blimdfold tests on albums original and reissued and get an unbiased opinion .
    I am going to try to get our local paper to make this a feature . No CDs ,but you know many of the reissues would be digitally cut transfers .
    You wont have a problem finding this record in the original format . I too am surprised someone has not come up with one . I dont even remember the first matrices,but do know it had a U prefix . Probably 2-3 U something like that or even a 1 ?
    Try Amazon .
    Good luck
    Jake

16. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

My NM copy is a YEX 929-2 and YEX 930-2. It follows the EMI/Apple mother/stamper dead wax codes. Mother is 1/AMO and 1/AGH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.