Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coopmv, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

Continuation of thread #5 since it is now over 1000 ...

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Russell, for Schoenberg see my post in the last thread.

Jay, that was one of the first cds that I bought based on a review I had read. I owned the record that sounded fine but the sound on the cd blew me away!

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I don't recall what one we're talking about, Chris.

4. George P

George P Way Down Now

5. George P

George P Way Down Now

Yes it is:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//2174112.htm

Or do you mean it isn't listed on the EMI page?

6. coopmv

Indeed, it was on the EMI page as of yesterday or the day before. I think I will go for the set pretty soon. Sale or not, it is still priced so much lower than the best price I can find in the States ...

7. George P

George P Way Down Now

Yes, and with stuff selling out, I wouldn't wait long at all. It's an incredible deal.

8. coopmv

Now playing disc #17 from this set.

Attached Files:

9. coopmv

I also noticed a 4-CD set of WTC by Bob van Asperen, the renown Dutch harpsichordist, selling for $13. I did not look carefully but assume it was probably performed on harpsichord ...

10. coopmv

11. George P

George P Way Down Now

12. coopmv

I saw MDT running a sale on Brilliant Classics not long ago. You probably have noticed MDT does not have uniformly great prices across all box sets. I think for the Mozart Piano Concertos, Newbury Comics actually has better price. I ordered the set from Newbury 2 days ago.

13. coopmv

Now playing disc 18, the last disc in this 18-CD Vivaldi's set by I Solisti Veneti and Claudio Scimone. It is a great set of baroque music ...

14. coopmv

Almost ready to check out the more recent arrivals from MDT ...

15. coopmv

I think the Richter's set on Brilliant Classics also suffers from uneven SQ ...

16. To carry over "Peter and the Wolf" from the old thread, here's (IMO) an interesting article by Mike Biel. It runs several pages (I mention this because the "next page" links are not prominent.)

The Recordings of Peter and the Wolf

17. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Elvis - 'In the Ghetto'

For real:
    • Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 - Radu Lupu (piano) with Zubin Mehta/Israel Philharmonic.
      Orig. London 'Digital Recording' 1979 LP, I like Lupu's playing on this, but the orchestra leaves something to be desired.

Up next...
    • Schoenberg: Erwartung - Anja Silja (soprano) with Christoph von Dohnanyi/Vienna Philharmonic.
      Orig. London 'Digital Recording' 1980 LP.

And later:
    • Bruckner: Symphony No. 6 - Herbert von Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic.
      Orig. DG 1980 LP.

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Too bad. It was nice having an active place where people, including newcomers, could come to discuss classical under the Music Corner head; this is the only classical thread I've seen that had any legs at all. We'll never get any new blood in L&WT.

20. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

We should lobby to get moved back again. I think this already happened once before. We can't post pictures here either.

21. Now listening to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, in the 1923 recording conducted by Albert Coates, thanks to a poster in the rec.music.classical.recordings newsgroup. I hadn't intended to stay up this late, but once I got going with this recording I couldn't stop! Years before the HIPsters, Coates was taking the fast movements in Mozart and Beethoven really fast!

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Write to your favorite moderator. I can't think of anything else that will help.

23. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Even Off Topic would be better than here. At least you can post pictures there.

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

On the subject of Lt. Kije, have any of you heard the piece with a baritone singer? The romance and troika are based on Russian songs, and a few recordings include a baritone singing them. Specifically, I know of three, one led by Leinsdorf; one by Ozawa; and one, on the old Royale budget label, by "Gerd Rubahn," a pseudonym. It's a frustrating situation, as far and away the best vocalist--albeit no Leonard Warren--is on the Royale, pseudonymously listed as "Armin Kessel"; alas, he sings in the wrong language (German), the performance plods, the orchestra is third-rate (to be kind), and the recording quality and surfaces are typical of Royale's abysmal standard. The other two are in Russian, decently recorded, and, naturally, feature far superior orchestral work, but neither of their singers is attractive. Sometimes you just can't win.

Incidentally, I corresponded once with an expert on vocal recordings who offered a possible attribution of the Royale: Dutch baritone Caspar Broecheler and the NDR Sym. Or. under Walter Goehr were announced as planning to perform the work in August 1947. The performance no longer exists in the NDR Hamburg archives, but it could well have been the source tapped by Royale, which got a good bit of its stock in trade by pirating radio broadcasts for pseudonymous issue on LPs.

I should note that my favorite vocal mvt. is the troika, based on a song beginning "A woman's heart is like an inn/that charges modest fees"!

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

The reason we are here is because there were very few posters using too many kilobytes per post over a long period. This thread will continue for us diehards, but it is best to start new threads about specific composers/works/periods in order to foster discussion of classical music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.