Peppermint Trolley Co. reissue news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David R. Modny, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець Thread Starter

For lovers of 60's sunshine pop, Danny Faragher just posted on YouTube that Cherry Red Records is going to do a CD reissue (w/ bonus tracks) of the Trolley's one and only, self-titled album. Another long overdue one IMHO. Though, no exact date yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't Cherry Red part of the Rev-Ola umbrella?

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Yes it is.:cheers:

3. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

4. PiscesFish

PiscesFish Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up, David. This is great news. I've never actually heard all the songs on this album, but I really liked "Baby You Come Rollin' Across My Mind" when it was played on the radio back in the day. It's been a l-o-n-g time since I heard it though!

I will buy this re-issue just for the chance to hear "Baby You Come Rollin'" again after so many years, and look forward to maybe discovering a few other hidden gems as well.

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Yes, just the other way around. Rev-Ola is one of the labels under the Cherry Red umbrella.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I hope they at least have a good condition LP cutting master to use for source, and that this is not a needle drop.

I had this on 8-Track when I was 11 years old.

7. storrs19

storrs19 Life is Mono

I actually have this album in mono (a fold down I am sure) along with many other singles by them that did not chart. They had a great sound and I always thought they should have been bigger than they were. Nice to see they are going to get a re-issue. There was a cd out a few years ago as I purchased it from a local shop and I remember it was an import I think. It is in storage right now but is on my computer in mp3 format.

8. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Yes, this is great news, but let's hope this is not a needle-drop like their latest Tommy Roe CD! The fact that it has bonus tracks is a good sign. This is one of my favorite sunshine pop albums! :)

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I still say that the Peppermint Trolly Company and The Peppermint Rainbow should have a battle of the bands... preferably to the death.

10. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Here's a scan of that mono vinyl.

Attached Files:

11. uglything

uglything New Member

This is a really nice album. Nothing earth-shaking, but impeccably played and sung and produced. Too psychedelic to be sunshine pop, too sunshine pop to be folk-rock, too folk-rock to be psychedelic ... a real shame they never made a second album.

If you like this, you may like Tones by The Gordian Knot. Another lost treasure!

12. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Do we have a date yet for the Peppermint Trolley?

13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Didn't they sing the Brady Bunch theme in the first series?

14. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Yes.

15. David R. Modny

It was being reported as having a street date of 3/23-24/09. Though, I don't see it currently listed on the Cherry Red site. Some retailers still show that date. Another showed a release date of 4/21/09. So hopefully, at the very least, it's coming.

Here's the press release and CD track listing:

The Peppermint Trolley Company
    Beautiful Sun
    crnow10

Released 23/03/09. The Peppermint Trolley Company sang the themes of both Love, American Style and the first season of The Brady Bunch. They once performed in front of an audience of 120,000. In addition, the band from Redlands, California recorded one of the most essential but sadly overlooked L.A. soft psych studio offerings ever. Reissued here for the first time ever is their glorious self-titled 1968 album, reminiscent of The Left Banke, The Association, and Buffalo Springfield. Beautiful Sun features numerous arrangements by Chad, Stuart Of Chad & Jeremy, and a cameo performance by Roger Nichols on Trust, a song he co-wrote with Paul Williams. Also included is the Billboard Top 60 hit Baby You Come Rollin Cross My Mind. 16 bonus tracks round out this collection, including non-LP cuts, mono single mixes, and rare sides recorded under their earlier monikers, The Mark Five, The C Minors, And The Intercoms. The full-colour, 16-page booklet also includes previously unpublished photos, and exhaustive liner notes that feature the participation of original band members.

I've Got To Be Going
    Baby You Come Rollin' Cross My Mind
    I Remember Long Ago
    Put Your Burdens Down
    Reflections
    Beautiful Sun
    Trust
    Sunrise
    Free
    Pat's Song
    Fatal Fallacy

Bonus Tracks:
    I’m Through With You - The Mark Five
    I’ll Keep On Trying - The Mark Five
    Just A Little Feeling - The C Minors
    Don’t Go - The C Minors
    Please Try And Understand - The Intercoms
    Unabridged, Unadulterated, Unextraordinary, Ordinary, Mediocre, Unoriginality Blues - The Intercoms
    She's The Kind Of Girl
    Little Miss Sunshine
    9 O' Clock Business Man
    Baby You Come Rollin' Cross My Mind (Mono)
    Trust (Mono)
    I Remember Long Ago (Mono)
    Beautiful Sun (Mono)
    I’ve Got To Be Going (Mono)
    It's A Lazy Summer Day
    Blue Eyes

16. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Thanks for the info David.

The following phrase in this line caught me:

:goodie:

17. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

18. storrs19

storrs19 Life is Mono

How could they leave off my favorite track by this group, "Spinnin' Whirlin' Round"? That is a great song and should have been a hit. It was the flip side of "New York City" which is also a fine tune. That was their last single I believe. I have made my own PPTCO cd from my personal collection and it has satisfied me for years now.

19. David R. Modny

20. John Beland

John Beland New Member

little known fact

Hi
    John Beland here. I think it's great that the Peppermint Trolley Co album is finally being released after all these years. They were a very talented act. I was there at a few of the sessions, as, at the time, I was newly signed to producer Dan Dalton's company as a writer and recording artist.

At that time, the Trolley was Dalton's big act. Ironically, I recorded the same single , "Baby You Come Rollin Cross My Mind" on Ranwood Records in 1969 , with chart success as well. Lucky little song.

There is something that should be cleared up, for the record. The band The Peppermint Trolley Company did NOT sing the first year of the Brady Bunch, nor did they do the pilot. Although the end of show credits list them as the artists, the "real" singers were myself, Paul Parrish and Lois Dalton.

The original Peppermint Trolley Co band had broken up, just weeks before fofilling their agreement to perform the theme. Dan Dalton, who owned the band's name had to throw together a version of the act at the last minute, to sing the song for the show. Thus he chose me, Paul and Lois who are the voices you hear on those original first year episodes. The credits read Peppermint Trolley Company, but we were the actual voices. We recorded the theme on the soundstage of Paramount Pictures.

Hope this clears that up.
    Cheers to all
    John Beland
    Flying Burrito brothers
    www.johnbeland.com

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Thanks for the bit of trivia. Let us know what you think of the new collection when you get a moment. I guess it is not from vinyl, but master tapes were used for all tracks?

22. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Do we know this for a fact?

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There was no fact stated, there was a quess, and question mark.

24. John Beland

John Beland New Member

Peppermint Trolley Co

I'd love to hear their album again. They were a very creative and talented band. How do I get a copy?
    JB
    www.johnbeland.com

25. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

It will be sold everywhere: Amazon, CD Universe, Deep Discount, Collector's Choice Music, etc. or you can order directly from Cherry Red:

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/nowsounds/artists/pepperminttrolleycompany.htm

I would like to believe that this CD will be remastered from the master tapes as it contains outtakes, single mixes, and other bonus tracks, and usually that means doing some kind of a vault search, but who knows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.