Led Zeppelin Old vs. Remasters poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Since this is a heated debate about the Zeppelin catalog, let's vote!

Do you like the original CD's better or the George Marino remasters from the 90's?

Note: The Marino remasters are the same as what are on the box sets and Early Days/Latter Day except for some very small differences.

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Overall I have to go with the remasters.

3. Matt

Matt New Member

Most of the time, I listen to their earlier stuff (from Zep I down to Houses of the Holy), and I think the older ones are easier on the ears and sound just fine. Physical Graffitti supposedly has a song clipped, but outside of that, I'm not aware of any problems with the later albums on the older CD's. Whatever deficiencies there are, I kind of weigh them less on the later albums simply because I prefer the first five.

4. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I like the remasters better by a mile (though I still think the lps sounded best).

5. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I prefer the original CDs, but do not necessarily think that the remasters are bad. On my system, I just think that Robert Plant's vocals sound fuller and warmer than on the remasters; plus I like the sound of the drums better on the original CDs.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I prefer the Marino's...

7. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

I like that they kept the volume levels low on the remasters. They are not by any means "smushed" or "squashed" like so many recent remaster jobs.

8. Matt

Matt New Member

I think the remasters sound a bit hard and bright, too.

9. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Just for the record here, the original CD of "Physical Graffiti" is not missing a single second of music...

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Not true. The first pressing of Graffiti clipped off the coughing part at the end of In My Time Of Dying. It was fixed in later pressings.

11. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Yep.

12. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

I have a strong preference for the remasters. When I heard them, I immediately replaced all of my original Zep CD's and have had no regrets whatsoever.

13. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Same here. Then I found this &^%$#@# web site, and learned what to listen for, and have been buying back all of the original versions. I can't listen to the remasters anymore... I have also started obtaining the original vinyl (which I also had before).

Bottom line, never sell anything and obtain a warehouse to store all of this crap... :D

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Although I believe there is a fair amount of Stockholm Syndrome around here, I do prefer the original HOUSES OF THE HOLY CD and the remasters for everything else.

15. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

The original LP of this record DOES NOT HAVE the coughing bit! It was ADDED on the CD reissue!

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I have no problem with the Marino's. In fact it was these Led Zepplin remasters that first clued me into the fact that cds could be made to sound better (perfect sound forever was not really true).
    '

17. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I agree with you completely! The original Houses of the Holy CD just sounds...better to me. "No Quarter" is a beauty when it's turned up really loud! :D

All the other titles do benefit from the remastering, though they do sound too harsh in the vocals and high ends. Any word on that promo 3-CD set from a couple of years ago that supposedly sounds better? Who did the remastering on that set? Anyone?

18. chrischross

chrischross New Member

I like the Houses of the Holy original, but what is up with Led IV?? Listen to Plant's vocals on "Going To California". Oh the humanity:eek:

Kind of strange, but the only Zep Cd's I currently have are the two original targets, so I'm ineligible to vote in the remaster vs. originals sweepstakes.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I prefer the remasters over the original cds, but the classic lps are my favorite.

20. Matt

Matt New Member

Thanks for the tip, Rob! I don't have this album on any format, but if I get on CD, I won't be so hesitant to buy the older version.

21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I also like the remasters.
    The vinyl release of Physical Graffiti had the cough - only the first non-RE-1 CD didn't have the cough

22. Mike

Mike New Member

The cough is on the original LP.

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Agreed - I don't own now, and never had a CD version of PG. The US Swan Song lp had the coughing and the chatter: "That's going to be the one, isn't it?, Let's have a listen, then".

Or words to that effect.

24. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Interesting...My vinyl copy doesn't have the cough...Oh well...I'd STILL play the original CD over the reissue with the cough any day of the week and TWICE on Sunday!

I was listening to this yesterday and marveling at how the original CD allows you to really hear the sound of these tapes. It's very apparent that they were recorded at different places at different times with different engineers. I LOVE THAT!

Each song has it's own character, and great dynamics! "Custard Pie" starts out low in level, but it's John Bonham's final bash on the toms near the end that grab your attention. See, you've cranked up yer amp to hear the track at the start and now when the track gets louder, it's REALLY LOUD and effective. You'd never get this effect from the remaster which isn't allowed to breathe in quite this fashion...

Similar dynamics in "Ten Years Gone"...My fave on the record.

25. davef

davef Senior Member

I voted for the remasters - enjoyed them from day 1. Hopefully they'll be in hi-rez some day as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.