Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thomasec, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomasec

thomasec Forum Resident Thread Starter

As one of the few "under 25" posters on this forum, I feel obligated to share what I feel is poised to be one of the best albums of the year. I know I've seen threads on Panda Bear's album "Person Pitch" (likely due to the common comparison to Brian Wilson/Beach Boys) but there isn't a single thread in the history of SH dedicated to Animal Collective.

I encourage everyone to at least check out their myspace page and listen to "My Girls", which is probably the most accessible thing they have ever done.

If that's not enough, Animal Collective is one of the few bands that is actually thriving on physical formats:

Here's hoping I'm not the only one here that falls in love with this band/album.

2. woody

woody Forum Resident

i'm planning on picking this up after checking out the songs a few days ago. it's getting hyped by the media so it might suffer some backlash later. i flirted with the idea of picking up the panda bear album but every time i listened to a sample it seemed a little too mellow.

3. thomasec

I think the fact that an independent record being release exclusively on vinyl is cracking the billboard charts is both incredible and encouraging.

4. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

It's coming out on cd on the 20th. I bought the LP, and I think it's great. But I like everything they've done, so I'm not sure I'm the guy to ask. The vinyl is expensive though: $29.99 at Newbury Comics here in Boston. It's clearly selling well though, as a shortage at the distributor kept a lot of stores from getting it on on Tuesday.

5. thomasec

Yeah, I had to call 8 record stores in Chicago to get a copy. Been listening to it non-stop all week.

6. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I've been liking Animal Collective since Sung Tongs. After reading the review of their new album in Uncut, I can't wait to pick it up and listen to it.

7. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Picked up the cd in Glasgow tonight, will be spinning it shortly. Thought about getting the vinyl which looked nice but my other 3 Animal Collective releases are on cd so kept to that format.

Looking forward to this one.

8. ucfjon

ucfjon Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for my vinyl to arrive. I heard it comes with WAV downloads too, which is pretty cool if true.

9. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Ageism!

Keep it down ya darn kids!

10. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Yup, I'm 54 and have been looking forward to this release. Hoping to get the CD at a reasonable price though. The sites/stores I normally buy from have it a little pricey.

11. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

Mine came with 320 kbps downloads. I didn't see a WAV option. Please let me know if I missed it!

12. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

i love this record!!! panda bear was amazing and this is an incredible start to newyear...fun,original,tribal,electronic,organic,psychedelic,beautiful,fresh... here's to NEW music:thumbsup:

13. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

To be fair, record sales have sunk so much that it's much easier for smaller releases to get noticed on the charts as they were less effected by the decline.

14. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I did a search also a few days ago and was surprised there were no threads on this band. Seems like some threads have just disappeared.......I can't for the life of me find that Chris Cornell "Scream" thread anymore.

I feel a little old (40.......okay, 40-ish :D) to be listening to them, but this new album is really quite something. From what I've read in other places however, some of their hardcore fans seem to be a little disappointed in the lack of a new direction.....that it sounds safe or something. Sounds pretty impressive to me.

15. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Collecting Scarce Animals...

Yeah, bummer, I went to pick this up as my first new vinyl, new music release of 2009, and the local stores got zero copies in, due to limited supply/demand ratios...

What a drag... so how is it? I'm not that familiar with them but heard a track of theirs on a sampler awhile back I really loved and have been wanting to check them out ever since, and this week seemed perfect with the scarity of new releases, but... t'was not meant to be... :sigh:

oh well... :righton:

cheers,

PS: I see you joined 8 days after me... bit of a slacker on the posts eh?? just kidding...

16. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

Hey, it's quality, not quantity, right?

The album is excellent. Like most of their records, it gets better with each listen. You can make the argument that it's not a new direction, but I don't think Strawberry Jam was such new direction after Feels. They do seem to have a new love of bass on this record, as I don't remember anything on their last couple shaking my apartment like this one (sorry neighbors).

If you like Strawberry Jam, Feels, and Sung Tongs, I think you'll dig this. If your taste in Animal Collective ended with Here Comes the Indian, you likely won't be into it.

17. mistermuse

mistermuse Forum Resident

Actually, I didn't care for Strawberry Jam in comparison to the other three. It was more bombastic and over the top and lacked the ambience of Song Tung and Feels that I loved so much. To me Merriweather is Panda Bear's Person Pitch part two. They just had to do something similar because of the success of Person Pitch. I bought the new vinyl LP from Amazon with free shipping but still haven't popped the plastic because I'm in the process of buying a new turntable. But I have to admit, that addicting new vinyl smell is begging me to pop sooner...

18. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

To me, Bees on Feels is pure metaphysical genius!

19. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I feel exactly the same way.
    Do you reckon I'll like the new one?

20. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Yes i think you'll like this one. Its sonically very close to Person Pitch. The abrasiveness that made Strawberry Jam hard to love has been largely stripped away. I kept changing my mind over Strawberry Jam over the first few months of owning it until i eventually got really into it. This new one is straight out the box excellent and impressive. A real winner. Can't wait to see them live this Tuesday although the live show is really really abrassive from what i remember when i saw them last year at ATP.

21. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

Ah an Animal Collective thread! I've wanted to start one since joining here but always figured it would fade into oblivion from the start.

I've loved Animal Collective since 2005's Feels. The Purple Bottle mesmerized and moved me so much that I thought it was the single best song of 2005. I loved Strawberry Jam as well but find I return more to Feels or Sung Tongs. Strawberry Jam was pretty heavy and in your face the whole album through lacking the more sublime or mellow trippy folk elements of the previous two records.

I didn't move quickly enough on the new LP and ordered it today from Insound where it's already on backorder.

For those who do already own it do you have any comments on Panda Bear's statement that Merriweather Post Pavillion is the bands best recorded album?

22. mistermuse

It is a bit more polished than previous efforts, which might not have worked for Feels but works perfectly for this one. My only minor complaint for Merriweather is that there are no experimental ambient moments like Loch Raven from Feels, although No More Runnin comes close. But this is not that kind of LP. It's pure Neo Psychedelia-Pop Bliss that gets better with each listen. Who knows what they'll do for the next one...

23. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

During the checkout process for redeeming the download coupon there is an option for 320 MP3 or WAV. The default is MP3. Easy to miss.

24. mistermuse

Geez, if all artists/Labels did this I would never buy another CD. What a deal!

25. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

Bummer, I can't seem to use the code again. I'll email Domino and see if they'll help me out. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.