Chris Bell Of Big Star Laid To Rest 30 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phlo, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o Thread Starter

2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Thanks for this...very moving.

My avatar is evidence enough of my feelings. What I never realized until the release of Bell's solo work on CD was just how much he had to do with the sound of #1 Record.

I know most people tend to rate Radio City higher, and God knows, I love it too. But as an overall listening and emotional experience, my heart is with #1 Record. And Chris Bell has just as much to do with it as the more-celebrated Alex Chilton does.

Thanks again for pointing out the anniversary of Chris's death. I'll give the album, which I may well have listened to as much as nearly any other album I own, a spin in his memory today.

3. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

RIP, Chris Bell. He made music that really held up.

4. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o Thread Starter

It breaks my heart the guy didn't live to see the recognition he wanted so badly. He was a true talent and more influential than he could have ever imagined.

5. Thanks for the reminder of Chris and what he brought to the sonic songwriter table.

Will spin the "I Am The Cosmos" LP tonight in memory of a great talent cut short much too soon ... :sigh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7nLECgN_y8

6. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Thanks for sharing that. Good read.

7. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

Thank you very much for the link--an excellent article.

8. gsmile

gsmile Forum Resident

"I Am the Cosmos" is an absolute masterpiece of melancholy rock music. Chris really got to indulge his grandiose side that was balanced out by Chilton's "no-frills" attitude, and boy does it ever work! This is the "Pet Sounds" of the Big Star canon.

Thanks for the great article Phlo!

9. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I too agree its an absolute masterpiece! not all melancholy for me, but thats there to a degree. A lovely listen. should be a forum fave if ever I heard one.

10. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Bell, Big Star and Memphis

I'm glad I saw this thread, that was a great article. I was born and raised in Memphis and moved away at age 23, ten years ago this year.

I was always very proud of the musical heritage of the town, but not just the surface (Elvis). For me it was always more about Hi, Stax and groups like Big Star.

Don't really get a chance to read the Appeal much anymore, though I do when I go home to visit my mom. This was a nice find..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.