LP Storage Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Meddle_Guy, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know this has been discussed many times before, but a search did not provide good results. Any recommendations for LP storage? I do not like the Boltz racks. I have roughly 2,000 LP's, and am moving to a house in VA with a basement, where I will probably keep my LP's and CD's.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I use the Ikea Expedit for my LP storage, which is in a finished basement. This is also my listening room. I find the Ikea cheap and works great.

3. TimJo

TimJo New Member

Same here. They work great...

4. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Another vote for the Ikea Expedit shelves (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047675). Perfect size for records and fairly inexpensive (although if you have to have them shipped like I did, they almost double in price).
    Is your basement finished?

5. Macca

Macca R'kid

I bought the Expedit from IKEA yesterday and I love it. It's beautiful and steady. :thumbsup:

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I have a few Expedits myself, a little tip is to get the boxes that 12"s and LPs are shipped in, (the UK ones), that hold 25 x 12"s these fit the shelves perfectly and make ideal spacers, very useful if you have skirting boards behind.

7. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Funny, yesterday at the Ikea in White Marsh, Maryland in the "returned items" section, there were several Expedits that were returned and for sale at reduced prices. I think the larger size one was around $100. Dark brown color....

Theron

8. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Have you ever lived on the east coast and in a house with a basement? If not there are two things you should be aware of: the first is humidity and damp basements, the second is what these two conditions do to LP covers, inner sleeves and even the records themselves. Mold and mildew. :eek:

Check out your new basement before you store your LP collection in it. If it is a finished basement with AC or a dehumidifier you will probably be all right, but if it unfinished and there is no AC or dehumidifier I would not store LP's in it.

9. mikeymad

mikeymad Forum Resident

I bought two Gothic Lp rack unfinished and did them myself. They are full and seem to work really well. I think that there is options for stacking them as well. Pretty good price.

My .02$

Cheers,

10. texron

texron Rory On

Count me as another Expedite user:righton:

X2^^ a buddy of mine lost hundreds of LP's in a basement in Illinois, humidity ruined them all

11. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Hmmm, a visit to White Marsh MD might be a worthwhile trip for me to make...I"m also looking for options

12. texron

texron Rory On

For $100? WELL WORTH THE TRIP.

13. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

14. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Another vote for the Expedit. :thumbsup:

I've had mine for a few years and I've had no problems with it.

15. Another vote for the Expedit. They were built a bit better until about seven years ago but even the new ones hold records perfectly.

16. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks Tony,

No, I'm a west coast guy, and have taken a new job here. My option is to store my prized collection upstairs and may do that.

Many thanks,

Dirk

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

How do you guys keep the records from falling out of the other side? Do you have a backing of some sort?

18. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I was always asking the same question too, for years I had been talking about getting something decent for my LPs. Then I found myself out of a job and by chance was asking a friend about shelving for my couple of thousand LPs and was given great information.

My friend told me to go to this place here in Dublin that will cut timber to any measurement you want. He recommended 1'' birch plywood. I worked out all the measurements (the area was 8' high by 41/2' wide) went to the place gave them my order and 2 days later it arrived at my home. I then went about putting it all together, I surprised my wife and even myself that I could actually do it and that it turned out so well. I am sure there are places in the USA that do the same.

My point is, if you take your time (and I had plenty of it) and do something similar to what I did, you will be amazed at what you can achieve. Here are pics of the finished article. I intend to build another one after Christmas and put it the other side of the chimney breast.

JG
    PS: I am not a diy type, so if I can do it, so can you.

Attached Files:

19. Oddio

Oddio Forum Resident

I have two 2x4 size Expedit boxes sitting in my living room. This will be my afternoon project to put them together (praying that the Ikeanites have included all the bits and pieces), then I hope to sort through all my records over the next few days and file them into their new home.

I went with the two 2x4 size because I was originally going to locate them in a "hutch" recess in my dining room, and the 5x5 size was too tall. I am not sure were I will finally place the 2x4's.

20. texron

texron Rory On

I removed the base molding on the floor and just pushed the Expedite right up to the wall. Guess you could run a 1"x2" across each row.

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

If you ever saw some of my wood working "skills" you would immediately know that I should buy something pre made.

Heck, if I posted a picture of my results, you might give up your shelves! :eek:

22. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Excellent idea I have found the UK link for our members from there

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=EXPEDIT

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00071356

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80071319

Simon :)

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

See my post above, if you can get the shipping boxes we use in the UK they fit into each cube perfectly, face on, the only problem is that even over here they're becoming harder to get. I think the US equivalent may be slightly too big, thicker card or something, but worth a try if you can get some from a friendly shop that stocks new vinyl.

24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have a gap... but I think I know where to find something pretty thin.... and it's white which should not be too bad.

Maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.