Pearl Jam "Ten" Deluxe Editions coming*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guidedbyvoices, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records Thread Starter

from billboard - did a search and didnt see anyone else post it yet.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/pearl-jam-raids-vaults-for-ten-reissue-1003921204.story

Pearl Jam has unearthed a host of unreleased tracks and special surprises from its vaults for a deluxe reissue of its fabled 1991 debut album, "Ten." Four different editions will be available March 24 from Epic; pre-orders begin today (Dec. 10) at PearlJam.com.

Each version includes a digitally remastered version of the original album as well as a completely new remix of the set by longtime producer Brendan O'Brien, who did not work on "Ten" but produced Pearl Jam's subsequent four albums. Bassist Jeff Ament and designer Andy Fischer teamed to revamp the artwork.

The O'Brien disc also includes six previously unreleased songs from the era: early versions of "Breath" and "State of Love and Trust," "Brother" (with vocals, not the instrumental version from the 2003 rarities collection "Lost Dogs"), "Just a Girl," "Evil Little Goat" and "2,000 Mile Blues," a Stevie Ray Vaughan-inspired jam with improvised vocals from frontman Eddie Vedder.

Band members have been asking O'Brien to take a crack at a complete remix for years, and he gave the idea a trial run when he remixed the "Ten" tracks "Once," "Black" and "Alive" for Pearl Jam's 2004 greatest hits album "Rearviewmirror."

"The original 'Ten' sound is what millions of people bought, dug and loved, so I was initially hesitant to mess around with that," says O'Brien of the album, which has sold 9.58 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and vaulted Pearl Jam to global superstardom. "After years of persistent nudging from the band, I was able to wrap my head around the idea of offering it as a companion piece to the original -- giving a fresh take on it, a more direct sound."

The "Legacy" edition of "Ten" adds a DVD of Pearl Jam's previously unreleased 1992 performance on "MTV Unplugged," including a never-aired version of "Oceans." The audio has been remixed in 5.1 surround sound. Fans can also opt for a double-vinyl version featuring the original "Ten" on one LP and O'Brien's remix on the other.

But the package sure to send hardcore fans into a tizzy is the "Super Deluxe Edition," which features two CDs, a DVD and four vinyl records. It is housed in a linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box with a replica of an item second to none in Pearl Jam lore.

In 1990, when bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard and Mike McCready were getting the nascent Pearl Jam going in Seattle, they recorded three instrumentals to send to the then-unknown Eddie Vedder, who'd been recommended by Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Jack Irons.

Vedder, then living in San Diego, overdubbed vocals onto the tape, in the process creating the songs "Alive," "Once" and "Footsteps" (he was invited to join the band within weeks). Poor quality bootlegs of the demo, dubbed "Momma-Son," have circulated for years, but the "Super Deluxe Edition" will include a crystal-clear dub of the tape on a replica cassette.

In addition, fans will receive Pearl Jam's previously unreleased Sept. 20, 1992, concert at Seattle's Magnuson Park (dubbed Drop in the Park) on two vinyl LPs and a replica of Vedder's composition notebook packed with notes, photos and memorabilia from the "Ten" era. This version will sell for $140.

The "Ten" reissue is the first piece of a two-year campaign culminating with the band's 20th anniversary in 2011. Additional details have yet to be announced.

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records Thread Starter

Personally I never really liked ten because of its really dated mix, so I'm open to giving it a new shot with a fresh remix.

Talk about a band giving fans what they want, incl a new official bootleg of an early show

3. dufman

dufman Forum Resident

The MTV Unplugged is finally getting an official release. Sweet.

This looks pretty promising, but if the SH.tv forums have taught me anything, I'll hang on to my original copy.

4. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

OK, I am incredibly excited about this.

Some of the Ten tracks were remixed for the hits discs a few years back, but they were pretty compressed. Still liked the remixes though.

Wow, wow, wow.

5. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

This is great news. I'm thinking about getting the Super Deluxe Version.

I'm also wondering about what they mean by "replica cassette." Are they actually going to release a cassette as part of the super deluxe package? I hope not! I'd much rather have it on CD or available as a lossless FLAC download.

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Looks very cool.

7. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

This sounds pretty cool, I'll be watching for it.

8. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

I was at the magnussen show. You will want that one!

9. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

Either the band is updating the site now or fans have crashed it because right now I cannot get the band's site at all. That super version is very tempting.

10. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I guess you can only get this stuff through their website? Probably, since it is down and out for the count at the moment..

11. Mike D'Aversa

I'd put my money on fan crash. Don't forget how huge they were until the late 90's...

12. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

From the look of a picture on the Pearl Jam site, it seems that they are.
    [​IMG]
    (look just above the second white-framed picture at the bottom)

But whoa, almost $200 for that boxset (the $140 list price plus $50 international shipping).

13. Mike D'Aversa

From the wording, it would appear to be an actual cassette. But, we'll have a better idea once the site comes back online (with more info/pictures/etc). The part I don't get is that Sony/Epic owns all this stuff (with PJ owning publishing/right of release - like Apple Corps and EMI). So why would they be cool with no retail release?

14. Mike D'Aversa

You're able to access the site right now?

15. bruce_campbell

bruce_campbell New Member

This is going to be great. A favorite album for sure but you know you are getting old when stuff you listened to in highschool is getting the deluxe anniversary treatment.

16. Mike D'Aversa

And you also start realizing how old you're getting as well! ;)

17. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Yes, though it is quite slow (at times).
    Here's the direct link to the Super Deluxe Edition remaster (which seems to be the only remaster available for purchase at the moment).
    https://secure.pearljam.com/store/product.spring?categoryId=11&sku=1010-SDx

And here's the link to the info message on pearljam.com (with some more info than the Billboard article)
    https://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-announces-reissue-band’s-debut-album-ten

18. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I just realised I'd included an incorrect link to the image of the Super Deluxe Edition in one of my previous posts. However, it seems I couldn't edit that one anymore :confused: so below is the relevant part again.

From the look of a picture on the Pearl Jam site, it seems that they are.
    [​IMG]
    (look just above the second white-framed picture at the bottom)

19. Mike D'Aversa

THE FOUR EDITIONS OF TEN: ALBUM EXTRAS PER PACKAGE

1. Legacy Edition (2-disc set in mini-LP style slipcase):
    · Disc 1: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered (original mix)
    · Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
    · Re-designed packaging

2. Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD specially designed hardbound package):
    · Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
    · DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix

3. Vinyl Collection (2-LP set)
    · LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
    · LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien

4. Super Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD, 4 LPs and replica cassette in linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box):
    · DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix
    · LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
    · LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien
    · LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park – Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O’Brien)
    · Cassette: replica of original “Momma-Son” Pearl Jam demo cassette featuring “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps”
    · Package also includes an Eddie Vedder-style composition notebook filled with replica personal notes, images and mementos from the collections of Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with replicated era-specific ephemera from Pearl Jam’s early work and a two-sided print commemorating the Drop in the Park concert.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently, they're only taking pre-orders for #4...

20. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Wow. Sounds cool for the fans (although I wonder what a remix will sound like; I have the Jeremy original CD single and he remixed the edit of that)

Although, not to be ungrateful or anything, I had "Ten" on a little while back and thought it sounded great as it was!:D

21. Mike D'Aversa

Interesting, that while they will be issuing a remix of "Even Flow", they won't be using the superior 1992 re-recording. Even the band has expressed unhappiness with the take used for the album. Another curious ommision is the original demo for "Yellow Ledbetter" cut during the sessions...

22. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

This is truly an amazing thing, by one truly amazing band. The website is overloaded, but I got mine ordered. This will be my third copy of TEN, and I don't regret buying it again.

23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I got the super deluxe. The website is up and you can order it. I bet these puppies will sell out.

I think PJ Ten's original mix sounds fine too.

24. Mike D'Aversa

Here's the bit that "crashed" the site (the part I've emphasized in capital letters) -

Ten Re-Issue Super DeLuxe Edition Pre-Order
    2 CDs, 1 DVD, 4 LPs, 1 Cassette Plus, Plus, Plus...

PRE-ORDERS RANDOMLY TO BE SELECTED TO BE SIGNED BY PJ MEMBERS

Free U.S. Shipping. $30 Canada/$50 International. To be shipped on or before March 24, 2009.
    Pre-Orders must be purchased separately from other items.

25. ucfjon

ucfjon Forum Resident

Hmm, I might get the 2 LP set. Their records are pretty expensive on Ebay, and I've read that the recent Ten reissue on vinyl is not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.