MUSIC MATTERS BLUE NOTES, cutting a bunch more the week after next!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Two crates from Capitol/EMI arrived at AcousTech Mastering last week. Don brought them in to the studio and I took a peak. Wow, all I can say is that Joe and Ron of Music Matters are going to be issuing some great stuff in the future..

So, I can't tell you what titles we are going to be doing but seeing tape box after box with Alfred's original writing on them is just amazing. Michael Cuscuna has really furnished us with the real deal once again. A pleasure going to work.

Looking forward to seeing Joe and Ron on the 16th. I love discovering great Blue Notes that I've never heard before. It's an adventure.

Stay tuned!

2. jpm-boston

jpm-boston Forum Resident

Keep 'em coming Steve!

3. Steve, you're teasing us - so many goodies to come. :goodie::wave:

4. Steve Hoffman

Teasing me as well, I can't wait to hear some of this stuff!

5. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve,
    Are these tapes for titles not in the 64 listed on the Music Matters web site?

6. Steve Hoffman

Some are, some not. I think Joe and Ron are going to go through them to evaluate potential releases, etc.

The Blue Note catalog is one that I am not really familiar with. I am absorbing it like a sponge.

I am at a loss to understand the "glassy" sound that the Blue Note CDs seem to get, it's not on the tapes.

7. PMC7027

Thanks for the quick reply.

8. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Photograph those tape boxes! We want to see!

9. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

yes please....i'd love to see them as well...digital camera make life so easy...:righton:

10. Could it be they playback the tapes on the wrong tape machine?

So they all get a characteristic sound from that, let alone the strange equalization - and on the RVG series compression - added afterward?

11. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

Don't mean to threadcrap here, but wow! If I have enough money, Capitol Records will just send me a crate full of master tapes so that I can decide if I feel like issuing them? Obviously you guys all have a track record here, but wow! Well, now I know what to do when I win the lottery! :righton:

Geoff

12. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

Be nice to know if Mobley's 'Slice of the Top' was in one of those crates and makes the cut list for a future MM SACD release? Sadly, that great session -- originally released as a BN Connoisseur -- is way oop and usually difficult to acquire for less than an arm and a leg.

13. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Steve, can that be due to some A/D converters that are being used or is it more complicated then that or just an EQ issue?. Thanks.

14. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

That is a damn good album.

15. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

Hello!

I hope the Clifford Brown release is in that crate!!! I can't wait to hear Brownie with the Hoffman/Gray treatment. Peace. Robert

16. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Hi Robert,

I don't want to get into a discussion just yet about titles, since we need to go through these and see what is OK and what isn't. HOWEVER, since you specifically asked, and just this once, yes, the Clifford Brown tapes are there. I'm as eager as you to hear them, along with all the rest!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Joe

17. PMC7027

Joe,
    Can I surmise that Music Matters will be releasing more than the originally listed 64 titles?

18. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Yes, you can Robert. So many great titles in that catalog! We're like kids in the candy store! :righton:

19. Steve Hoffman

Joe,

Can't wait to hear the Clifford Brown tapes. They look to be in great shape.

20. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

You and me both brother Steve! To hear the great Brownie in true High Fidelity, you're basically talking about these incredible Blue Note sides along with his work on EmArcy. By the way, two of the EmArcy LPs have been re-issued in fine form by Speakers Corner: Study In Brown and Clifford Brown All Stars. For you Brownie fans out there don't miss these and certainly do not miss our Clifford Brown Memorial Album, which is a combination of two Blue Note ten inch LPs in one set.

Steve, the perfect holiday celebration to me is hanging out with you, Kev and Ron will all of these juicy tapes!

Oh man! I'm getting all excited!

cheers :cheers:

Joe

21. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Did someone say Clifford Brown!?

Oh my gosh.....let's hope we have some good tapes here folks!

I agree with you there Joe, The SC of Both All Stars and A Study In, are great. And don't forget about the Clifford Brown with Strings on the JPN Universal, I think it is very good. I love that album.

22. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Steve-

When you "evaluate" do you cue up the tapes, and then sit in the sweet spot and listen to the entire tape?

Do you sit still and listen for 45 minutes?

Are you taking notes?
    Listening for the condition of the tapes/ thinking about possible EQ decisions?

Clay

23. PMC7027

Thanks, Joe, but I'm Dave not Robert.

24. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Interesting. Is there some sort of coordination with AP about who gets what titles? How do you avoid overlaps and hard feelings?

25. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

Hello!

Thanks for the response Joe! Brownie still has the ability to make the hair on my neck stand up. I would give a kidney for a Hoffman/Gray 45RPM of the Helen Merrill session with Brownie on Emarcy! Peace. Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.