Is this U.S. Mono Rolling Stones "Aftermath" LP a folddown?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by john lennonist, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

Can't remember if/when/where I heard it, but something in the back of me head tells me I've heard/read that some or all of the U.S. Mono LP pressings of "Aftermath" are folddowns.

Spotted the following today, and am interested in buying it... but not if it's a foldie.

Anyone know if all/any tracks on this are dedicated mono mixes?

Also, how early of a pressing is this?

ROLLING STONES
    “AFTERMATH”
    U.S. MONO # LL 3476

LABEL: Bright Red (not Maroon) Boxed London.

STAMPERS:
    A: (in script) ARL-7259-1G (Monarch logo) ∆9242 [very thin dead wax]
    B: (in script) ARL-7260-1G (Monarch logo) ∆9242-X [very thin dead wax]

Thanks! :help:

"I wanna see the sun
    Blotted out from the sky...
    "

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

fold down

3. serge

serge Forum Resident

news to me

4. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Really? That sucks. I've held onto the U.S. mono all these years thinking I had something special.

What about the UK mono Aftermath? What about the US mono Between the Buttons?

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Never heard the UK Aftermath but I am sure the US Between the Buttons is not a fold down.

Neither is the US Their Satanic Majesties Request for that matter.

6. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

:agree:I have both the U.S. Satanic Majesties and Between the Buttons and both are dedicated mixes. For example, "Sing This All Together" fromTheir Satanic Majesties Request has a much louder bass drum and "Yesterday's Papers from Buttons has a much longer fade.

7. Slipperman87

Slipperman87 Active Member

Bump?

Is this a folddown? Who knows for sure?

If BTB and Satanic Majesties had dedicated Mono mixes in the States, why would Aftermath have not?:shake:

8. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Didn't sound like a fold-down the last time I heard it. Don't know for sure, though.

9. warmbuddy

warmbuddy New Member

Well, that's to the point isn't it! How about offering something more - I've never come across that claim.

The UK Decca is a dedicated Mono pressing. Apparently, the first 60's UK Decca LP claimed to be a fold down is Satanic Majesties.

10. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

If "Paint It, Black" as on the Aftermath album is of any indication, yes, it would be a fold-down. Because the mix differs significantly from the dedicated mono 45 of that classic.

Hotdog likes this.
  11. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Bump. The thread on the Stones' first great album and all the talk about Aftermath had me wondering a slightly different question, which it doesn't seem worth starting a new thread for: is the UK version a true mono mix?

12. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Me too. But I rarely listen to it since the UK DECCA stereo always begs to be played.

Ken

13. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

14. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

actually there was one thread (which I cannot find either right now) that proved the US mono LP is indeed a folddown (there was a comparison of audio samples of both UK & US versions which made it clear). So I'd say, yes.
    doc

15. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

The UK version of Aftermath is a dedicated mono mix. This is evident in the first track (Mother Little Helper). When the stereo is folded down, the backing track gets very "weak" and the vocal get very loud. The mono "Mother's" has a ferocious backing track - and the vocal fits in quite nicely.

16. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

Spotted the following today, and am interested in buying it... but not if it's a foldie.

Why buy it, pm your addy & I'll send it to you - cd-r copy UK issue

17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

There was a thread on this a while back. My response (the links still work):

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.