is there a good current CD of miles davis "kind of blue"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by phish, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phish

phish Jack Your Body Thread Starter

i was wondering if there was a pretty easy to get nice sounding cd of kind of blue. i have it on vinyl and mini-disc, but no cd and i am not set up to do needledrops.

thanks in advance.

peace
    j

2. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I haven't heard of any bad versions. The only issues I've heard is the speed issue. The gold Mastersound and the SACD are correct speed and both sound great. The SACD also has an alternate take of Flamenco Sketches. I also have the Columbia Jazz Masterpiece version (CK 40579) and it also sounds good (even at the wrong speed).

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

The common CD available at a "nice price" (the "legacy" edition from '97 or so)

That's all ya need!

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

My current "correct speed favourite" is the Japanese hybrid SACD that came out in 2007, Sony SICP 10083. It does not have the extra track.

5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Get the usual remaster (which sounds great) and stay away from single-layer SACD - it's so awful most of my friends who got it thought their SACD players were broken.

6. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

What's so bad about it?

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Isn't there a legacy edition due early next year?

8. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

There's this deluxe set that just came out.

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The current remastered version sounds just fine, Jason. Grab it.

Evan

10. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

My sacd is Stereo/Multichannel and sounds great. Is there another one?

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

It's sound great. Maybe their players were broken.

12. phish

thanks for all the recommendations.

i grabbed the current remaster (1997) for under a $10 new!

13. I have a different view of the SACD.

When you compare the SACD to the remastered CD, the remastered CD is much louder (sounds compressed to me) and has a lot of EQ added (sounds smiley-faced to me).

As always, louder CD's with boosted treble and bass sound better at first to many listeners, but make some people tired after a little longer listening. In direct comparison, it seems like the SACD is missing something.

To me, the SACD sounds much more natural and balanced. I can't listen to the remastered CD at louder volumes, it sounds harsh to me.

For overall sound quality and tonality, I like the first mastering (1st Japanese pressing 35DP or first Japan for US pressing).

No CD release sounds really bad, so it is a matter of what kind of mastering style you prefer. Many people are perfectly happy with the regular remastered CD (Legacy).

14. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, the SACD does miss lots of air, not to mention bass and treble info, it's much less detailed than redbook remaster and souns much "smaller". That's not how a good SACD must sound by any means. It can only sound right on really harsh and bright systems. On good ones with a correct tonal balance and decent highs it sounds like a Dolby B cassete tape.

15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

All of them? Including all of mine over the last 5 years or so?

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Unfortunately, the 35DP and first Japan-for-U.S. pressings both have the wrong speed.

I agree with your assessment of the remastered Legacy CD. Miles' muted trumpet sounds especially harsh; it has a kind of sharp edge that is emphasized on the remaster. It hurts my ears.

I have been to more jazz dates than I care to remember and I know how a muted trumpet sounds. The remaster sounds nothing like it.

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

news on a legacy edition, based on the deluxe, at musictap.net

"You've already heard the news that Legacy will issue a 2CD Legacy Edition of the great Jazz classic, Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. You've even heard us detail the contents of not only this January 13 reissue but also of the massive Deluxe Edition that dropped some months back, which is the father of this pared down Legacy Edition. But it certainly bears mentioning again...just so some of you are prepared for this album's release. The 2CD version will contain the original album, remastered, and is expanded with 7 bonus cuts (alternate takes, “false start” of “Freddie Freeloader,” and studio sequence pieces) while the second disc is filled with songs from the sessions of Kind of Blue, and a previously “unauthorized” extended Live version of “So What.” The liner notes for this edition are historical and collectible making even this 2CD Legacy Edition a definitive version of Kind of Blue. Will it get any better than this release? Doubtful. But one never knows. Until then, this version of Kind of Blue should be in your library. Don't let them disappear."

18. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Can't go wrong with that one. Enjoy and give us your review of the content, assuming this is the first you've heard it.

4stringking73 likes this.
  19. phish

unfortunately, i had a fantastic sounding needledrop i got from a member of the forum, but i can't put my hands on it.

20. RDK

RDK Active Member

We've gone over this before, but Anton seems to be the only one here with any serious problems with the KOB SACD. Everyone else loves it.

21. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Sounds like you are describing a cd that is eq'd....

I believe Steve likes the SACD...

22. The SACD and the late 90s remaster both sound great. The late 90s remaster can often be found cheap these days, well worth getting.

4stringking73 likes this.
  23. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

There was never a better time to ask this question...

Yes, the latest release from the big 2CD+DVD+Vinyl box is the current CD of Miles KOB, and it sounds far better than the previous Legacy single CD. Actually, it is almost the best KOB CD ever released (with correct speed), and I say almost because I still think the Japanese 2006 DSD CD (remastered by the same people) wins by sounding a little more realistic to my hears.

The 2006 DSD CD is out of print now I guess, but the big box is available, and soon it will be released as a 2CD version.

So, now more than ever, it's the time when you can get a VERY GOOD sounding KOB CD :)

Some details:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3959511&postcount=134

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3960550&postcount=138

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3962028&postcount=139

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=154649

24. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

25. Jay F

Jay F New Member

That was my first inkling that remasters don't always sound better. I had listened happily to this one, then when the remaster came out, I bought it and sold the CJM copy. I thought the sound was kind of sharp in this one particular place on the first track. Unfortunately, I didn't have my original copy for comparison.

The sound doesn't bother me on most of the CD, or on the Miles and Coltrane box set, just this one particular place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.