jethro tull - teacher - i'm confused

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigmikerocks, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

so being from the u.s., i grew up with the 'piano' version of teacher that was on the benefit album

then i learned that it wasn't on the real version of benefit in the UK, that it was only a b-side

wasn't the 'guitar' version of teacher the one that was on the uk bside?

if so, was the piano version released in the uk? i've seen promo videos of teacher using the guitar version, so that's why i'm assuming that's the version on the uk bside

i like the piano version hordes better

cheers~~~~~~~~~

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

US Teacher was an A-side, not a B-side.

3. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

sorry, i menat it was only a b side in the UK, and not released on the BENEFIT album
    i edited my original post....thanks!

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

People tend to call the bs ide version "The Teacher" as that's what is was mistakenly called on the single. And the benefit version as 'Teacher'.

Here's some more confusion for you: the b side version has distinct mono and stereo mixes, while the Benefit version comes only in stereo.

5. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Teacher's Confusion...

Even more confusion comes when you look at what tracks were or were not on the UK vs. US Benefit Lp because of Teacher's inclusion (Inside and Alive and Well and Living In.) Same goes for the Us vs. Uk Living in the Past Lp versions, which it also affected by said track, although all tracks are founds on the MFSL Gold version. :confused:

:cheers:

6. rpd

rpd Senior Member

where is a good place to get a nice sounding cd version to the "UK Teacher"???

7. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I prefer the mix of "Teacher" on the MoFi CD to the one on the Chrysalis "Benefit" CD. The one on "Benefit" has always sounded out of place. I think I saw the Teacher-less U.K. track listing on CD a long time ago. Is it out there or am I thinking of something completely different?

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The first version was the B-side of "Witch's Promise" in the UK (February 1970), and it was a completely different take and arrangement than the version that was an A-side in the US (April 1970), which also was on the US edition of the "Benefit" LP, after they removed "Alive And Well And Living In".

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

So, where can I get this on cd?

10. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I asked this in another thread and none of us could figure it out, so I'll try again.

If the "Benefit" CD (U.S. Chrysalis) uses the U.S. single mix, where does the mix that MoFi uses on the "Living In The Past" collection originally come from? This mix is also used as the bonus track on the remastered "Benefit" in a slightly shorter form.

Someone once mentioned a CD having this version, but I can't remember which one it was. It may have been a box set??? I'll see if I can find the post with a search.

edit: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3135257&postcount=65

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The first version is on cd on the 20 years box set, probably more that I don't know about. The mono mix (which I prefer) is not on cd.

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Some songs on Living In The Past were remixed for the album in 1972. "Teacher" may have been one.

13. mrbillswildride

For the Benefit of Mr. Kite...

Didn't they also switch which sides Inside vs. Alive and Well were on, on the US vs UK Benefit Lps?

Also, original UK LITP has Inside on it right? And US LITP (not MFS) has Teacher, right?

I think also Hymn 43 and Locomotive Breath were switched out... :confused:

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Thanks. IF it is a remix for the "LITP" album, they did a great job. I like this much more than the "Benefit" version.

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That's the standard unremastered UK Chrysalis cd.

16. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I once found seven different versions (all with different playing times) on seven different cds that I have, and I never made it around to checking my LPs!!

3:53.76 from the USA "M.U." cd
    4:08.133 from the "25th Anniversary Box Set"
    3:58.706 from the original USA cd
    4:01.36 from the USA "Anniversary Collection" 2cd set
    4:11 from the MFSL "LITP" cd
    3:49.266 from the Benefit remaster cd
    4:48.64 from the "20th Anniversary Box Set"

Some of them are obviously the same mix, but they all fade at different points.

17. Lord Hawthorne

The UK "Benefit" has "Inside" on side 2 and "Alive And Well..." on side 1. I'm pretty sure that the "Aqualung" LP is the same everywhere.

18. mrbillswildride

The teacher tangles with the past...

Thanks for clarifying that info on Benefit. :righton:

I know that Aqualung is universal all around (except for that rad quad version with the alt. take of Wind Up, which is very cool...) I was talking about Hymn 43 and Locomotive Breath in regards to: US LITP has Hymn 43, and IIRC, UK LITP has Locomotive Breath... know? :confused:

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What about the USA "LITP cd? :laugh:

20. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Incorrect. The Witches' Promise was the A-side in the US. Teacher, the flip, didn't get airplay until Benefit was released months later. Inside was then released as a single from the LP. The only track on LITP that was remixed was Song For Jeffrey.

21. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

Well, I couldn't check it because I got rid of it years ago!:realmad:

22. Larry Geller

No, the US LP swapped in Alive And Well And Living In (unreleased in The US at that point) and removed Inside.

23. Larry Geller

Teacher on the US Benefit & all LITPs are exactly the same (take AND mix). BTW, the mono mix of the US Teacher is right there on the flip of my US Witches Promise 45.

24. Lord Hawthorne

A bunch of songs on LITP were mixed into stereo for the first time, making some quite different from their original mono mixes (like "Love Story" and "Sweet Dream"). "The Witch's Promise" was also given reverb for the LITP LP, the original single (mono in the US, stereo in Europe) has a drier vocal.

25. mrbillswildride

Living with teacher...

OK, you guys made go find and pull out my UK and US LITP Lps to find out for myself if I was right, or imagining it... :sigh:

Confirming: The US LITP has Hymn 43 as the second track on side 4. But the UK LITP has Locomotive Breath... Now as both of these appeared on Aqualung in both countries, I wonder the reason for the switch out? :confused:

Sadly I have misplaced my LITP MFSL cd set, so I cannot tell which track or if both are on there, I assume both, as I seem to recall that that definative version gathered all the extranious tracks, know? :help:

mrbill

PS: So both LITP collections have Teacher, but are they both the US version? Only the US copy says it is off Benefit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.